Helping Cat gain weight

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Long story short, Monet was diagnosed with Hyperthyroid. He's nearly 15 years old. The vet put him on medication and his recent blood results shows he's in range. However, he lost some weight in the past 3 weeks. he's now 8.5 lbs. Always been a lean cat.

The vet thinks maybe (something) valve disease, but the symptoms she's listed don't match. He isn't throwing up or anything. So we decided to increase his meal intake to see if he'd gain weight. Maybe 3 oz twice a day is no longer enough for him. She recommended higher protein pate food, and I decided on Fancy Feast Senior 7+. Not the greatest food, but it's in my budget and recommended by the vet (She also suggested Friskies, I won't touch that). If anyone else can recommend a quality food that's budget friendly, I'm all ears!

What I forgot to ask the vet (and I will, thought I'd ask here in the mean time) is what's the best way to give him more food? Currently he's eating 6 oz twice a day. Should I do one 3 oz can in the morning, double up to 6 oz in the evening? Or break it up to three 3oz 3x a day? (might be hard, I have another cat that doesn't need to eat more). I doubled up this evening and he didn't throw up after eating it all.

And is one extra 3 oz can a day enough to help him gain, or should I do 4 cans a day? Too much?

Please and thank you

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sarah was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism last summer. She was very skinny and it took getting her levels evened out to get the weight gain process going. I started feeding her 3 times a day, and still do (morning, a meal around 3PM, and again before bed) and her weight is much better. My personal belief is keeping food in them several times a day will help them gain weight better than two larger meals will, but this is just IME. Sarah also has some minor GI complaints if she eats a too-large meal, so the 3 times a day works for her. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I haven’t considered kitten food. I will look into that

thank you both of you for responses!