Helping cat adjust to new living situation

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This post pertains to the same cat but is separate from my earlier post.
i previously complained about my brother, who would go away for dayes at a time and leave me with the responsibility of taking care of his two male cats. He will finally be leaving. However, while he was living with me, my male became accustomed to playing with his cats. I'm concerned about him adjusting to their absence. He will have the opportunity to see them from time to time but I'm afraid he'll become depressed. My female doesn't play with him and they still don't get along well.
What can I do to help him when they leaave?

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
It will definitely be an adjustment for him, so I would make a point of setting aside some time specifically to play with him and help diffuse some of the energy he would have burned off with the other cats. You'll also want to keep his daily routines as normal as possible, so that it doesn't feel as though too much of his world has changed all at once.

Otherwise, keep an eye on him for signs of grief - many cats adjust well to others around them coming and going, but you'll want to make sure he keeps eating and drinking normally.

linawaary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you thought about looking into getting another friend for your cat who may be more suited to his personality? Maybe a more playful teenage cat that will fit his needs.

Additionally I would say maybe spend more time playing with him and giving him attention to distract him he no longer has his friends around. Simple things also like keeping the radio on when you aren't around or getting a fish tank or bird seed dispenser to attract birds to your window to distract him. A few more interactive toys around the house.

Not really sure what the right path would be to help him but these are a few ideas I had that could possibly help! I hope all goes well 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He understands by now, that the other cats aren't here any longer.  However, he is bored and he gets frustrated because my female won't play with him and that ends up in a fight, more often than not.  I try to play with him but I can't find any toys that really stimulate him. I have the dangly bird toys, other dangly teaser toys, and lots of other toys but he really just wants to play with another cat.