Help

subxco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_9028.jpeg
IMG_9033.jpeg
IMG_9032.jpeg

There’s this stray cat I feed, looks very young still. Is there something wrong with his eye? I really want to help but I don’t know exactly what it is, is it an infection or just something minor ?? idk😞 what could I do to help? Is there maybe something to put on his eye like special cat eye drops, a special cream or anything that I can buy?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That brown eye discharge usually means feline herpes.

Feline Herpes And Rhinotracheitis - Expert Advice For Cat Owners - TheCatSite

It looks like a very friendly stray cat, so you should be able to get them to a vet for proper diagnoses and treatment. There are some effective eye drops that can be used but they can only be obtained through a vet.

Are you able to bring the cat indoors? Cats are a lot less likely to get sick if they are kept inside, neutered and vaccinated.

Cararra’smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my 16 year old cat has a pinkish brown discharge from his eyes. He doesn’t have a runny nose. No sneezing or breathing problems. The whites of his eyes are fine. He is not trying to clean them himself. He has been slowing down a lot. Other issues include his pupils are always big and some days he can’t seem to see at all and then I see him looking out the window watching birds like he sees perfectly. I did some reading about this but I can’t seem to find anything that really matches what is going on. I am terrified if I take him to the vet they will recommend putting him to sleep. Can anyone help me? He is such a great cat, I love him so much!

I have added a before and now image

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Your cat needs to see a vet as the before and after pictures are quite dramatic. You do not, under any circumstances, need to be talked into putting him to sleep. He is your cat and you make that kind of decision based only on your own perspective based upon what might be medically involved. Except in extreme cases such as a cat hit by a car or one in extremely critical conditions, the objective of a vet is to treat and save an animal.

The eye discharge should be treated and it might not even be that complicated to do so. His blindness, if that is what this is, is certainly not a reason to put an animal to sleep. At the most, it only requires management of their environment, such as not moving furniture around.