Help

YouraveragecatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to do anymore.He keeps getting hurt from fighting.My brother found him limping today On one of his back paws and He couldn't really jump anymore.He also cried extremely loud when I touched him there,the loudest he's ever cried.I'm certain he either sprained his leg or worse,broke it.I honestly feel like I can't do anything anymore to help him and I feel horrible about it.What should I do to help him?I also feel It is best to send him to a nearby rescue so he won't have to suffer anymore.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I gather you allowing him to be outside where he is fighting? Keeping inside would help. Also is he neutered? Cats fight when they are not neutered. It is instinct. If he gets neutered the fighting will lessen after a few weeks. When male cats fight, they can not only get injured, but they can get cat illnesses that can then be transmitted to other cats. Also if he is not neutered he is fighting while searching for a mate.

Is there a way for you to get him to a vet? If he is in pain he needs medical care. If you allow him to be outside while he is injured this puts him in great danger as he would not be able to easily get away from predators.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If your neighbor's cat is seriously injured and he refuses to take it to a vet, that's animal abuse, imo. Why don't you call a rescue center or shelter, explain the situation, and ask if they are able to help. Maybe your parents will allow you to foster this cat until a permanent home is found. He would need to stay inside of course, so the neighbor wouldn't find out and give you a hard time. Though I can't imagine he would even miss the poor kitty, if he isn't willing to deal with an injury like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

YouraveragecatLover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's what my Mom is thinking.She says That She would Take him to the vet if she had the money but that's not what she has right now.I am also considering calling a rescue and found one near me called Stray Cat Alliance.I will see if I can call.Me and My family have agreed to keep him in the garage For now so he doesn't get hurt and so far,he doesn't seem to mind and sleeps there throughout the day/night.I really don't want to tell a rescue that my neighbor is neglecting their cat,since he Does leave a little bit of food out for them but never brings them inside.I'm trying to do what I can and I will contact a rescue when I have time.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you can get a rescue to help, that would be the best thing. If you can, offer a donation to the rescue. It will be much less expensive than taking him to the vet with the level of injuries it sounds as if he has. Offering some money might convince the rescue to help you. There may be other rescues who could be approached as well.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a good plan. He is a lucky kitty to have you advocating for him; a lot of people would just look away. Hope everything works out okay!