Help

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok I'm sure this will be moved but I'm over some ones house and spooky is with me she wants to explore but she's not allowed to go upstairs how do I get her to not go upstairs I have to keep her in the room I'm in or hold her

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since cats are really good at climbing and jumping, pretty much the only way to keep them from going where you don't want is a full door blocking the way. Since most stairways don't have doors, you'd have to keep the door closed on the room you are staying in. If you want to take her around the house with you, and you'll be there a while, you could try leash training her and putting a leash on whenever you guys leave the room you are in.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it is possible for you to do so, order something like this:

They are not terribly expensive, they fold down into a very neat little carrying case, and they have a mesh top (no escaping).

upload_2019-7-27_15-46-48.png

This one is from here:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/furhaven-portable-pet-playpen?cm_vc=-10005

Something like this would do the trick. Cats are natural explorers, and while you MAY be able to train her not to go certain places in your own home, she won't associate HER home with THAT home. And it would take extended time in JUST the friend's home to teach her not to go upstairs...possibly weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Im m thinking about getting one of those portable play pens to bring over if I go back over their

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not terribly expensive. I have one in case I have to evac for hurricanes.