Help

Stephg143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello my name is Stephanie, I am new to this site and don’t know if I am posting this and the correct forum. Pleas direct me in the right way if not. I recently, well 6 months ago, adopted two male kittens. And to make a long story short they were both neutered last Tuesday, acting fine on Wednesday, Then Thursday became very lethargic, not eating or drinking. I took him to a 24 hour vet, They said his vitals were fine and to take him to his vet in the morning. Friday morning we took him to the vet and she stated that the cats were stressed and in shock from the procedure. She gave one of antibiotic via shot. She said To bring them back if they were still exhibiting the same behavior in 7 days. I’m assuming That was from the time we saw her, not seven days after the surgery which would’ve been yesterday. Now The one who received the shot is a bit better starting to eat and walk around a bit but tires fast. The other is still Weak, not eating much unless I put the food right in front of his nose on my bed. He is not standing up or walking very well at all. Then today I noticed a bump on his head that looks to an abscess or cyst. I’m looking for feedback and advice! This is all normal behavior after a neuter procedure? The coincidence that they got sick right after? Is an abscess is triggered from a procedure? And it should they still be this week eight days after the surgery? Any advice is appreciated!!!
I am also going to try to upload a photo of the bump on his head, please tell me what it looks like to you.
Thank you!!!
upload_2018-12-5_20-26-8.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stephg143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am planning on taking him in the morning. 8am. The thing is we took him to an SPCA clinic for the procedure. We do not have a primary veterinarian, I’m hoping since we’ve already taken them back once to be examined that they will check him out again. I doubt That they will turn us away but not sure if they do exams and other services not relevant to the procedure. Which part do you think is the most abnormal? The bump or their behavior? Even though they have gotten a bit better, They definitely should not be acting this way right? Is it normal for a cat to still be recovering eight days after?
Thank you for replying!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Males generally bounce back from neutering within hours or a day, so that's not normal at all. It might be a coincidence that they both became ill after the surgery, or they might have picked up a virus at the clinic. The wound on the one cat's head is likely to be unrelated, but does need vet attention. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Stephg143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Males generally bounce back from neutering within hours or a day, so that's not normal at all. It might be a coincidence that they both became ill after the surgery, or they might have picked up a virus at the clinic. The wound on the one cat's head is likely to be unrelated, but does need vet attention. :vibes::vibes::vibes:
:( Would you say that this would be another emergency visit situation? Or wait till morning? Again not asking for medical advice, just a friendly opinion. Thank You for replying! From what I’ve seen online it looks like a cyst or an abscess...

Stephg143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

Stephg143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe it can wait till morning, since they've been lethargic for several days, but I wouldn't put off a vet visit much longer.
They are feeling much better today! Eating and actually walking without being wobbly.
I decided to not take them back to the original SPCA vet where they got neutered. Not the best service.. we have a consultation at VCA today. I’m not sure where your located or if they have those where you are. They have good reviews And from the phone conversation I had they sounds great. I’m excited to see a vet that doesn’t sound like A drive through vet.
I was stressing and scared :(
Thank you for your support and replies ❤

Stephg143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it went really really well. It was a free first exam so they couldn’t really tell me a whole lot about what was going on unless they did some testing that would be a little more than I can afford. She said that one of them could of had a upper respiratory infection :( he had a little wheezing on his right side. But no tempature. The one with the bump on his head is more than likely an abscess. No emergeny care was needed at the time due to it almost being healed and he also didn’t have a tempature. Would need tests to give a definite diagnosis... she said they are somewhat common with cats, didn’t know that. looking into some programs now for a pet medical credit line. Suggestions are appropriated. These little turds are going to give me a stroke!
But they are doing sooooo much better.

Stephg143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it went really really well. It was a free first exam so they couldn’t really tell me a whole lot about what was going on unless they did some testing that would be a little more than I can afford. She said that one of them could of had a upper respiratory infection :( he had a little wheezing on his right side. But no tempature. The one with the bump on his head is more than likely an abscess. No emergeny care was needed at the time due to it almost being healed and he also didn’t have a tempature. Would need tests to give a definite diagnosis... she said they are somewhat common with cats, didn’t know that. looking into some programs now for a pet medical credit line. Suggestions are appropriated. These little turds are going to give me a stroke!
But they are doing sooooo much better.
How did the most recent vet visit go?
How did the most recent vet visit go?
Thank you for asking :)

Stephg143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve also been doing some research to find a healthier cat food to hopefully prevent any illness in the future. But you can’t believe anything online these days. Been trying blue wilderness for the last couple days. Not sure if there just not used to it or if there getting fuller faster, or if they don’t like it..
I an SO glad to hear they are doing better!!
Maybe something here might help?
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

Financial Aid for Pets

Thank you so much
Some people on this site have been so friendly and helpful, much appricated! ☺

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that we're able to help, and all the best of luck regarding food, it's such a challenge! :vibes::crossfingers:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
URIs are common in groups of cats and/or kittens, much like when kids go to school= think elementary school -- and, breathing the same air, share their germs.

Stephg143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
URIs are common in groups of cats and/or kittens, much like when kids go to school= think elementary school -- and, breathing the same air, share their germs.
Makes sense. She also said they may have picked up a virus at the SCPA, where I took them to get nutered. There were a few lady’s there that were part of a TNR program That had at least three cats each. They didn’t look very healthy, to say the least :(
But what ever it was, it was a scary scary nightmare. I’m focusing highly on preventive care. Finding a primary vet, healthier food, maybe exploring outdoors more to build up their immune system?