Help!!

ir98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So i have a problem I have a 3-4 month old kitten who refuses to use the litter box he has NEVER used the litter box, he uses the bathroom everywhere but in the box. I read a few other articles and they all said the same thing like changing the cat litter or the box and even putting more than one litter box around the house I have tried all of that but he still refuses to use his litter box. He is a healthy cat who is always active, there is nothing wrong with him health wise so i know that cant be the reason why, is there anything else I should try I need as much advice/help as I can get. Thank you! :))

Aieko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!
He might not be litter box trained, have you tried putting him in the box and moving his paws around? If he refuses to go in the box, he might not like the type of litter you are using or the litter box itself, a ton of cats need privacy when they “go”, so I have an inclosed litter box with steps to enter it. Sorry I’m not much help.

Aieko~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ir98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have tried moving his paws around in the box but he just gets super squirmy and wants to leave, we have also tried changing the litter but had no luck :/ I haven't tried an enclosed litter box so I will definitely try that! Thank you!

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A friend had some feral kittens she had to litter box train. For one of them, she would pick up (scoop ) poop from the floor with the kitten right there and move it to the litter box and make a big deal/game about burying it. Then she gave the kitten a treat. It worked for that kitten.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend had some feral kittens she had to litter box train. For one of them, she would pick up (scoop ) poop from the floor with the kitten right there and move it to the litter box and make a big deal/game about burying it. Then she gave the kitten a treat. It worked for that kitten.
:yeah: Any time I find poop outside of the litter box I make a point of letting the cat see me put it in the litter box and cover it with litter. You understand, my cats are both thoroughly litter box trained; generally when poop is outside the box around here it means that someone accidentally kicked it out of the box while covering up another poop or else it removed itself from the box by clinging to Jasmine's pantaloons, but Jasmine and Bright Eyes appreciate seeing me put it where it belongs.

One of the things this means is that I never put cat poop in the toilet and flush it - we don't want to confuse the cat about where their poop should go.

However, this is just one part of it. It sounds like your kitten has never been litter box trained. He most likely just doesn't realize what that silly box full of sand is there for, and if his mother never showed him it's up to you to train him. I suggest that you start with this article: How To Train Kittens To Use The Litter Box.

Margret

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:yeah: Any time I find poop outside of the litter box I make a point of letting the cat see me put it in the litter box and cover it with litter.

One of the things this means is that I never put cat poop in the toilet and flush it - we don't want to confuse the cat about where their poop should go.

Margret
I had read that it was bad for the septic system and pipes to flush clumps from the litter box. Or is that only for clumping/certain types of litter? I put the clumps in a plastic bag (those store bags are good for something) and take it to the dumpster every day.

Mow Mow -^-^-

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe the kitten did not have a mom that was litter box trained or did not get enough time with mom for him to learn how to use the box? My kitten used to always push all the litter to one side of the box, until one day she decided to watch me flatten all the litter back down when I was cleaning it. After a couple of days, my kitten also started to flatten the litter. Maybe if the kitten watches you (foster cat mom) use the litter box correctly (by picking up kitten's mess and covering in litter box) maybe it will catch on?

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
In addition to all the training tips, if it's at all possible for you I would suggest providing a few different styles of boxes and types of litter just to see if your kitty has a preference. Maybe 2 open boxes, 2 covered boxes, and 2 types of litter to put one in an open box, and one in a covered.