HELP!

charliecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

I need some help/advice on what to do with my 4 year old orange and white cat Charlie.  He is a super loving cat 90% of the time who loves nothing more than lying on my chest watching tv, sleeping, and kneeding my neck with his paws.  The problem is that he has several issues we have been trying to deal with and correct for for years now and things have not gotten any better.

The first issue is sleep.  He wants to sleep on top of either myself or my wife at night.  This sounds fine, but when he decides to chase our other cat around at all hours of the night, its impossible to get a good nights sleep.  Add to this that he is used to our weekday shedule of getting up at 4:30 am for work and demands we get up this early on the weekends to feed him.  We have tried locking him out of our bedroom, but he meows contstantly and eventually learned how to turn the door handle.  After changing out the door handle for a knob, he can't get in, but he will loudly jiggle the handle and meaow until we let him in.  We also tried locking the cats in the finished basement at night, but he is very loud still and get stressed and urinates on the brand new furniture down there. 

He desperately would like to go outside and we have tried that as well.  We hoped that outdoor time would help stimulate him and make him happier (which it did) but every time we let him out the neighbors cat has viciously attacked him leaving him covered in blood and urine.  We have talked to the other owner, but they are unwilling to keep their cat in and we do not know what else to do.  We love the neighbors cat as well and he is super freindly with people and we cant bear to take it anyfurther (ie reporting to the town).  Now when the other cat comes onto out deck Charlie stands at the glass door or window and hisses.  He has even started taking out his aggression on our other cat and dog and even our guests dog.  This morning the neighbors cat was standing on our bulkhead which is right outside of our kitchen window and Charlie was on our counter and they started hissing through the screen.  I thought they were about to fight and possibly break through the screen so i went to close the window and charile latched onto my hand with his teeth and scratched my wrist up.  It is clear he will never get along with this cat and cannot safely go outside.

We have tried everything including taking him to the vet several times to ensure there was no medical reason for peeing in the basement.  The vet thinks its just stress from being seperrated.  We even tried Prozac prescibed by the vet and although it seemed to help a little at the begining, the problems returned.

We are finanlly at the point where we can no longer have in our house.  He is the only thing we fight about and has become a severe strain on our marriage.  We have been calling all of the no kill shelter in Massachusetts and none are willing to take him because of his history of urinating and biting.  He is a great cat and does not mean harm.  He is extremely loving and would thrive in a home without other pets and a loving owner who doesnt mind him in their bed.

We are stressed and at our limit and our dog and other cat are now stresed whenever Charile goes near them.  On top of everything we found out that we are expecting our first child and cannot in conscience bring a baby into our home with Charlie.

Please, we are open to any and all advice and are afraid that our only option will be to put him down.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Hi CharlieCat, welcome to TCS!

We have quite a few members with challenging cats so hopefully some of them will be along soon to offer more advice.

It sounds like your boy is really easily stressed - especially by the neighbours cats outside, and several of his issues probably stem from that. Have you tried one of the calming pheromone sprays or diffusers, just to help him relax inside? Many of our members have had good results with Feliway. If you'd like to give hi outoor time, have you considered getting (or building, if you're handy) an outdoor cat enclosure? This way he could be outside, but the other cat couldn't get to him.

Good luck! I'm sure someone will be along soon with some more advice to get everything sorted with your boy.

Last edited:

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
About the sleeping issue. I am afraid that cats can't distinguish between a weekday and a weekend. Disrupting a cat's schedule upsets them so you may have to wake up every morning at the usual time no matter if it a workday or a rest day. Chasing another cat at night is very normal. Cats are active at night so maybe ear plugs will help?

Locking up the cat is not a good idea. His urinating is a sure sign of stress. I'd stop it. 

Acting aggressively towards the other animals in the home is called redirected aggression. Remove the source of the problem and you will again have pets living in harmony. So, I  would not be too friendly with the neighbor's cat. You need to shoo him away or yes, if needed, call the authorities. Your Charlie has the right to enjoy his "territory" whether it's indoors or outdoors. 

If you feel you can't cope with the stress Charlie is going through, it may be best that you look for a home where he will be happier. Please don't resort to killing him because he can't seem to adjust to your lifestyle. 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what your back garden is like, but it might be possible to put up barriers so your neighbours cat can't get in.  I'd certainly turn the hose on it.  If his disturbing your sleep is a problem then a baby will be one as well - it may well wake you a lot at nights for several months.

dewpuff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats have always been pretty active at night and want to wake early - even earlier than my regular wake time. I usually sleep through it but my husband has used ear plugs successfully in the past. And when that doesn't work he wakes up and puts the cat out. It does seem extreme to disrupt your sleep for the cat, but if you are about to have a baby you will come to realize that it isn't that big to get up and open the door or put a scoop of cat food out and then go back to bed.

We got a cat bed for our cat and he really likes it. That has helped him find a place that isn't on one of us (and of course we shut him out of the bedroom - again, my husband can't sleep through much of anything and having him on our bed is out of the question). He used it much more often when we found a place in a corner of a room - kind of protected and almost cave-like where it is, nudged in between one of the kids' bed and the wall.

As for the neighbor cat, I agree that squirting him with a hose and chasing him out of your yard when he's there is a must - and well within the boundaries of respect for the cat and your neighbors. Your kitty needs his sanctuary. Our cat has learned not to go into our backyard (we feed the birds there) after we chased him out (without a hose) a few times. But we had a neighbor cat that wasn't quite as quick to learn that lesson. He kept coming back and it was a daily occurrence to chase him out. I hadn't tried the hose but I like that idea. And of course the fence around our yard makes a good and solid boundary that makes it easy to learn/recognize for the kitties. Not sure if you have that or not...

Good luck...

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering if the neighbour's cat is neutered.  If not I wouldn't be above trapping him and getting him snipped.  Naughty of course, but if's far better for him to be neutered and for all the cats around him.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear you're so frustrated with the cat. Certainly sounds like you've been doing a lot to try and help him. There's plenty of good advice provided in these replies. Adding my two or three cents...

1. Yes, it is extremely difficult to re-home an adult cat with that kind of record. Chances are that if you give up on him, he'll be euthanized. Not trying to add more pressure to the situation, but just stating the facts.

2. It's possible that he is indeed "neurotic", as in more susceptible to stress and more likely to develop behavioral issues such as aggression and litterbox avoidance. Some cats are just "Special Needs" that way. I know, I share my life with one.

3. You may need the help of a professional behaviorist at this point, who will work with you on a specific and detailed behavioral modification program, as well as help you create a less stressful environment. Let me know if you need help finding a cat behaviorist.

4. Before my sons were born, my family was frantic about us keeping our cat, Mishmish. She's very aggressive and neurotic. Like your Charlie, she can be very loving with us, on her conditions, and quite aggressive towards everyone else, people, cats and other species. To me, she's like a Special Needs older sister and it was clear to me she's staying here. She's part of the family and that's that. I have never heard of a cat attacking a newborn. Aggressive cats may sometimes lash out at an older baby or toddler if they feel threatened by them, but you'd be surprised at how quickly the little ones learn to respect the cat's boundaries ;) This is definitely something a cat behaviorist can help you with as well.