Help!

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a stray cat in the neighborhood that meows incessantly on my neighbor's front porch. It sounds like it's in distress but every time I go out to see what's wrong with it, it runs off. I've never seen this cat before and I thought maybe it was trapped or hurt but it's not trapped and seems to be moving fine. It is SO LOUD that it wakes me up in the middle of the night! It's almost as if the cat was an indoor cat that was suddenly dumped outside and is now desperate to get back in. However, I know my neighbor's two cats: a Ragdoll and a DSH that's black and this cat is a gray tabby. I thought he might be a tom after a female in heat but there are never any other cats around and the way he runs from me I suspect he might be semi-feral but that's only a guess. He could just be a dumped pet that's terrified. I should also add that this neighbor puts food out for strays on the porch. Maybe he is crying for the food and too scared to go on the porch? He's making an unholy racket whatever the cause!

I'm not really sure what to do for him except trap him and I'm about to leave on vacation. I'll be glad to trap him when I get back if he's still around. I'm wondering if anyone has seen this behavior before and what the cause was. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neighborhood recently acquired a beautiful long-haired tuxedo stray that does the same thing. His (I'm just assuming it's a boy) cries are loud and piteous and they strike me right through the heart every single time I hear him; it's ripped me out of a sound sleep several times. Poor boy.

(What is it about a cat's cry that stirs one so?)

I've tried to bring him food on multiple occasions, but like your guest, he runs as soon as he hears or sees me coming; I just leave it and hope he returns before something else gets it. I watch him out the window sometimes, wishing I could do more.

Hmmm, now that you mention trapping, I have a have-a-heart trap; maybe this is what I need to do for this fellow, too. I volunteer at my local shelter and I think I'll ask them tomorrow if they have room for him.

Good luck caring for your stray!

AC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Same to you. I hope I can do something for this little guy and I hope he'll let me sleep!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How about asking your neighbor to trap the cat for you? After all, the cat goes to his porch and probably eats the food your neighbor leaves out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would but my neighbor isn't physically able to do it. He's very sick.