Help...

kazzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, haven't been on in a long time. Lightbulb is doing well...getting a little fat but we are working on that

Well, about 2 weeks ago I found a little cat walking around my neighborhood, but that's no surprise as there are tons of strays. This one was different though. She came up to me, limping. I thought she was injured so I scooped her up and guess what? She's a 'tripod'. She's missing her back left leg. So I took her home, and we finally decided to keep her when we couldn't find her original owners.

My problem? She likes to escape. She bolts out the door when it's open. We've been fine the last week with no escapes, but she just got out again tonight. I haven't been able to catch her, but I do have her trapped in one of those drainage pipes under the parking lot (blocked both ends with rocks). I spent 30 minutes out there trying to coax her out with a can of wet food, but she wasn't having it. I'll try again here in a little bit.

How can I stop this behavior? She's completely fine indoors. She's actually made herself 'queen of the house'. She uses the box, loves attention, etc. It's not like she's acting scared. My biggest worry is I haven't gotten her spayed yet (she may already be spayed, but I am not sure) and I don't want a male in the neighborhood getting a hold of her. Being three-legged scares me too, but she gets around great and can really hold her own (seriously...Lightbulb won't mess with her at all anymore...haha).

Thanks!

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you sure she doesn't have an owner? I think anyone who payed for a cat to get its leg amputated would be looking for her! It costs money to do amputations.

Our Persian Martin does the same thing. His previous owners made him an outside cat..Yes, an outside Persian! He had already been living outside for 8 years when we got him he had to adjust to being inside. He still bolts occasionally, and I come home to find my brother had let him outside on purpose. He never goes far, he just lays on the porch chairs usually, and I bring him in as soon as I see him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kazzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm fairly certain she doesn't have an owner. I'm not even sure if there was an amputation, or if she was born this way. I have things posted, and called the shelters and vets near me. No one new the cat, and no one has contacted me.

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't you think time will change her behavior? I think it's more out of habit that they try to get out more than anything else. Especially since she seems happy to be inside. Does she cry to go out or is she just bolting for the open door?

I'm really glad that kitty found you.

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, and I hope you get a hold of her soon.
My one kitty is always trying to bolt. We have to be really careful coming in and out of the house.

kazzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I caught her later that night (actually...she somehow escaped the drainage pipe and came walking up the road to me). Little Houdini cat...

She occasionally meows at the door. Not as much as when I first brought her in though. Her favorite place is on the arm of the couch right next to the door, watching the door.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can put a baby gate in the doorway to keep her from bolting.

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

You can put a baby gate in the doorway to keep her from bolting.
That's a good idea. It will at least make it harder for a quick escape.

kazzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought about that, but my boyfriend would probably get pretty aggravated. He didn't want to keep her in the first place, but I was able to convince him. I'm going to research some cat training techniques to maybe help get some control over the situation. I'll also be training her on a harness and leash so that I can take her out, and she can have her time outside, but I'll have complete control.

kazzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an update. While she does escape every so often, I can usually catch her immediately because she comes right back to the apt. She's doing a lot better now, and settling in great. She's even started to chase around the toys and such