Help! Would it be better to adopt 8 week old kittens or 5 month old kittens?

JulieCalifornia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I'm going to adopt two kittens. I have the option of adopting two kittens (sisters) who are 8 weeks old OR two kittens (sisters) who are 5 months old. I feel like 8 weeks is on the young side of ideal and 5 months is on the older side of ideal. Age wise, which choice would be better? We want really cuddly kitties and I think with the younger ones, they might bond more easily? (or will they be too young and have issues?)... We're home all day (stay at home homeschool mom, so we won't have to leave them alone at all)... Any advice? Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JulieCalifornia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I thought 8 weeks sounded young. I've read the ideal is 12-14 weeks... but do you think 5 months is too old as far as easy bonding?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
5 months old means they will be a little startled to be moved to a new place. They may hide under the sofa or the bed. Best way to work this is to keep them in one room for a couple of days. Let them hide. Keep the noise level as low as possible, offer food -- put the plates near where they are hiding. Same with litter box. Then you can sit/lie on the floor near them and let them come to you. They just need time to decide you are not only okay, you brought the food. Five month old kittens are largely focused on food and play. You can't over feed them. Try to feed them what they are used to eating so no upset stomachs. Bonding with you should take...patience... it could take several days. But once done it's solid for the kittens' life.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont think the expectation should ever be "easy" bonding per se. Cats being variable and all. But pretty sure any differences between 3-5 months are pretty minor. Once a cat gets much older than 6 months, especially if its been on the street, things might start getting tougher. It took over a year for my adult rescue to really bond strongly.

Home raised kittens I do think are somewhat easier to bond with than street rescues, but again, below 6 months of age, it shouldn't matter too much. We haven't had much trouble with street rescued kittens at all. But again, individual variability is high. I've got a home raised kitten that just has the jumpy genes, and bonding wasn't super easy, but she has bonded strongly.

Bottom line, I would never worry too much about kittens below 6 month unless you dont have much time or patience . . . and if that is true, any age kittens really aren't the right choice

Last edited:

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
5-month-old kittens will be a bit less wild than 8-week-old kittens and will have had more socialization time. I don't think the age will be a factor in the bonding. Cats have different personalities like people.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are well socialized I would choose the 5 month old sisters. Do you have any idea how many grey hairs I have gotten from baby kittens?!?!?!? At 8 weeks they are like toddlers with ninja skills and no sense of danger! They start getting some common sense around 5 months old.

Kittens climbing up high in places you never imagined, thinking under the fridge /dishwasher/stove are great places, kittens climbing in walks, kittens climbing inside your couch or mattress, kittens grading on your phone charger etc. Lots of “oh my god! How did you get there?!?!?” Or “where is the kitten “ “what is the kitten trying to eat?!?!?” Kind of moments. A 5 month old spares you that!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Personally, I didn't have any issues with my 5 months old cats bonding with me.

However, if you want a for-sure cuddle cat you're best to go with an adult cat who is known to do so.

I find most kittens do go through an independent/teenager stage. They are very busy exploring and playing at that age.

The best cuddle cats I've ever had have been older adoptions. One I got at vet-estimated age 4 or 5 and had her until she was approx 19 years old. The other was a senior we found, but no one answered our found-cat flyers so she just stayed with us for her last 5 years of life.

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If they are well socialized I would choose the 5 month old sisters. Do you have any idea how many grey hairs I have gotten from baby kittens?!?!?!? At 8 weeks they are like toddlers with ninja skills and no sense of danger! They start getting some common sense around 5 months old.
At five months they should be just about over teething. My kittens destroyed SEVEN laptop chargers. Also, when they are very young, everything they can get in their mouth, is going in their mouth. It can be difficult keeping them out of trouble.
However, if you want a for-sure cuddle cat you're best to go with an adult cat who is known to do so.
The most affectionate cat I had was a senior.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At five months they should be just about over teething. My kittens destroyed SEVEN laptop chargers. Also, when they are very young, everything they can get in their mouth, is going in their mouth. It can be difficult keeping them out of trouble.

The most affectionate cat I had was a senior.
Could be put of teething yeah. Both Magnus and Calcifer were still going through it when they got here. I actually have one of each of their teeth! Calcifer wasn't bad but Magnus had a heck of a time with it.

Seven chargers is excessive! Maybe they were trying to prevent your computer use 🤣

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Seven chargers is excessive! Maybe they were trying to prevent your computer use 🤣
I think they were trying to take out the laptop, so I'd have nothing else to do but play worm toy with them. They would attack it as a team and were very effective. As they've gotten older, they've gone a bit easier on the chargers.

Some other notes.

The younger the cats, the more mothering you will have to do. Young cats need a lot of attention and keeping out of danger. Also they might not have learned to play gently yet. They will make you bleed.

As for affection. Boy cats seem to be a bit more needy than female cats. My girl cat is a sweetheart and I love her to pieces. She is more independent and more likely to be off doing her own thing but when she wants affection, she is a cuddle bug. She is also significantly less wild. The boy cat is very hard on his toys and has destroyed several of them.

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ah personally, I found female cats to be more cuddly. It's only my recent boys that are super cuddly. Lily and the senior we adopted in my childhood were the cuddle ones.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
All cats have very different personalities like people. Go to the shelter and say you are look for a cat with a dog like personality.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Maggie was chaotic at 3 months old. I'm scared to think what she would be like 8 weeks old! I adopted Josie at the SPCA. they let people take cats in a separate room to socialize