Help With Spraying Cat

thecatzmeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am desperate for suggestions. I have a Siamese who has some anxiety issues. I have a multi cat household and he's always been the "underdog wanna-be alpha" cat, when he's really just a big scaredy cat. His name is Loki and he's every bit the trouble maker as his Marvel counterpart. He sprays everywhere and he even does it right in front of me. He also claws the carpet (again, right in front of me), when I have multiple cat trees throughout the house on both levels. I know all these behaviors are his effort to "mark" his territory but I'm at my wit's end in dealing with it. My vet prescribed something to help him chill out. I didn't see much change in his behavior although he seemed doped up part of the time. I've tried collars, sprays, liquid solution in their water bowl ... although I haven't tried the plug ins because they're a major fire hazard. I keep him separated part of the day and when I'm at work, to keep his anxiety levels down. I don't know what else to do. His major spray spots are the main areas where my alpha female usually hangs out. He's constantly getting in spats with the other cats, even the youngest (who HE picks on himself). It seems he can't get along with anyone, except one of my cats, although occasionally, and that's the male cat he grew up with. This behavior has gotten progressively worse. I'm open to any and all suggestions. I know he'd likely be much happier in a single cat household but I'm not prepared to give up on him. And yes, he IS fixed and was neutered as a kitten. He's approximately 3 yrs old now.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean about those plug ins, I walked in the house the other day to the smell of smoke and a melting plug in on the wall, scary!
I know all about those spraying issues too, my male did it for over a year after we moved, very frustrating! I still think over years he will calm down with age. Siamese are very high energy, vocal, and high strung emotionally. Get a corrugated cardboard scratcher from Walmart or Amazon, those work wonders for scratching problems. I've never seen a cat yet that doesn't prefer them to carpet. Get some clear carpet runner with those little nubs underneath and place them nub side up where you don't want him to spray, it really works because it hurts their feet to walk on it. It is also easily moved when company comes. Dion't let anyone pick on anybody while you are present, a stern NO and even banishment to a small room for a ten minute time out works wonders. Make sure your picked on cats have a high place to escape to and is easily defendable, like a bed on top the fridge.
My Siamese is the same way, he beats up the other cats when he can't go outside, it is very frustrating. Get a couple of 'kickeroos' a long catnip toy they can bunny kick, when you see him starting to get excited, throw one towards him, it releaves a lot of excess energy. I hope everyone gets along, and your boy stops spraying, it makes lief a lot easier!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thecatzmeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean about those plug ins, I walked in the house the other day to the smell of smoke and a melting plug in on the wall, scary!
I know all about those spraying issues too, my male did it for over a year after we moved, very frustrating! I still think over years he will calm down with age. Siamese are very high energy, vocal, and high strung emotionally. Get a corrugated cardboard scratcher from Walmart or Amazon, those work wonders for scratching problems. I've never seen a cat yet that doesn't prefer them to carpet. Get some clear carpet runner with those little nubs underneath and place them nub side up where you don't want him to spray, it really works because it hurts their feet to walk on it. It is also easily moved when company comes. Dion't let anyone pick on anybody while you are present, a stern NO and even banishment to a small room for a ten minute time out works wonders. Make sure your picked on cats have a high place to escape to and is easily defendable, like a bed on top the fridge.
My Siamese is the same way, he beats up the other cats when he can't go outside, it is very frustrating. Get a couple of 'kickeroos' a long catnip toy they can bunny kick, when you see him starting to get excited, throw one towards him, it releaves a lot of excess energy. I hope everyone gets along, and your boy stops spraying, it makes lief a lot easier!

That's for the input. That's a great idea about the carpet runner things. I'll try that and the toys you suggested. As far as the scratcher stuff, besides the cat trees, I also have cardboard/horizontal scratching outlets as well. There are plenty of places to scratch, both carpet and cardboard. I've seen him scratch at the cat trees too. However, I recently read that sometimes cats will scratch as an act of dominance/territorial. I believe that's what it is, in his case. Two of the trees I have are giant ones, at least 7-8 feet. They are covered with carpet and sisal. I buy them from a local guy that makes them. So he has high places he can perch, and he does occasionally, until the other cats start playing king of the mountain and chasing him off the highest perch. I DO put him in the bathroom when I catch him spraying, for some timeout. He knows it's wrong. He even gives me that guilty look when he does it, then runs away and hides. When any cats are picking on each other, I put the bully in the bathroom in those cases too. I don't seem to be making much progress with the things I'm doing, so that's why I posted here. I'll just keep at it though! TY

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First we put out automatic sprayers on the garden hose whenever there was movement on the lawn to keep strays out of our yard. Then we put cardboard up in the windows so they couldn't see any cats. Then we did the feliway plug ins and were always cleaning up with Nature's Miracle Advanced. We also tried calming collars, scccat cans, scat mats, extra litter boxes, Bach's Rescue Remedy Pet, never opening the windows. Plenty of vertical space with shelves on the wall all the way up to the ceiling, a large cat tree, small cat tree, 2 large posts.
Still spraying. After almost 2 years we got them full blood and urine workup with the vet examinations and they are fine so we put them on Prozac. Spraying stopped within about 36 hours.
Stewart will still try to spray if the windows are opened in the house for too long, but it's really really difficult for him on the medication so we close the windows and try to calm him down.