Help with Sifting Cat Boxes

Thorn495

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My wife and I have these cat boxes with a sifting partition; the problem is, my wife keeps close to 30lbs of cat sand in each so that the cat urine can't clump up on the sifting grates. So it's a lot of bending down and lifting heavy amounts of cat sand around to clean them out this way and reminds me I'm getting old, lol. Is there an easier solution? Remove the sifters altogether, use less sand and a scoop?

I included a YouTube link to demonstrate my struggles. It's a luxury problem, I know. Just wanted to find a more efficient way of doing things.

Attachments

Katie656

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We’ve got some siftin litter boxes and find them really easy to use. We use them with a wood based clumping litter, so I guess that would be lighter than sand. I don’t know if you could gradually change your litter over to something lighter?

We also keep the sift section in the middle of the 2 litter boxes. When the cats have used the tray, we lift the top tray out with the soiled litter, and tip the litter into the bottom tray which has the sift in, then we lift the sift out. I think this enables to have less litter in the box. We only have about 1 to 2 inches at a time, so the tray is nice and light. I hope this makes sense?