Help With Ringworm Please

VagueDinosaur

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a kitten that has ringworm all over his body. He is being quarantined in my bedroom away from my 7 and 16 year old cats. My resident cats were in the bedroom (with the kitten in his crate) for about 20-30 minutes once before the ringworm diagnosis, so they were exposed. All 3 cats are on oral meds and are getting shampooed every 2-3 days...resident cats don’t show any symptoms yet (got the kitten on July 11th, vet discovered ringworm on July 15th).

Question 1 - The only room in my house without carpet is the kitchen, so there is no easy place for quarantine. I have researched ringworm online and there isn’t really anything helpful about cleaning carpets other than getting it professionally cleaned or replaced (neither is an option). I vacuum the whole house every day, what else can I do for my carpets and furniture?

Question 2 - I have been vacuuming every day, dusting every other day, washing all bed sheets (covering furniture) and clothing/towels everyday...is there anything else I should be doing?

Question 3 - I don’t like to use harsh cleaners in my house, so this has been challenging. I bought Clorox antifungal cleaner and I have simple green... is there anything else (safer) that I can use? I have heard vinegar but I can’t find any research that shows it works on ringworm.

This has all been very overwhelming any help/suggestions would be much appreciated!

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sounds like you got this. Just keep cleaning, removing any dirt, dander, hair and then go around with a disinfectant, rescue spray is safe and effective. Make sure you set the washing machine to hottest water possible, and the heat from the dryer kills spores, As for carpets and furniture, steam cleaning is a good idea, the heat will kill the spores. I'm guessing money is the reason to why you can't hire a professional? If you absolutely can't have someone to steam clean carpets and upholstery and can't replace them, the only thing I can think of is vacuuming and going over the carpets and upholstery with a disinfectant other than steam cleaning. Also the filters for your air conditioner can hold spores so replace those if possible

Last edited:

missylovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a kitten that has ringworm all over his body. He is being quarantined in my bedroom away from my 7 and 16 year old cats. My resident cats were in the bedroom (with the kitten in his crate) for about 20-30 minutes once before the ringworm diagnosis, so they were exposed. All 3 cats are on oral meds and are getting shampooed every 2-3 days...resident cats don’t show any symptoms yet (got the kitten on July 11th, vet discovered ringworm on July 15th).

Question 1 - The only room in my house without carpet is the kitchen, so there is no easy place for quarantine. I have researched ringworm online and there isn’t really anything helpful about cleaning carpets other than getting it professionally cleaned or replaced (neither is an option). I vacuum the whole house every day, what else can I do for my carpets and furniture?

Question 2 - I have been vacuuming every day, dusting every other day, washing all bed sheets (covering furniture) and clothing/towels everyday...is there anything else I should be doing?

Question 3 - I don’t like to use harsh cleaners in my house, so this has been challenging. I bought Clorox antifungal cleaner and I have simple green... is there anything else (safer) that I can use? I have heard vinegar but I can’t find any research that shows it works on ringworm.

This has all been very overwhelming any help/suggestions would be much appreciated!
Hi Vaguedinosaur, how are you doing now? I just found your thread searching for RW threads and hope you are all well and free of RW or almost there. We started RW treatment end of July and not sure where we stand yet but getting re- cultured in 2 days. We have 4 cats with it and one senior immune compromised cat who is 17 yo and could not tolerate the Itrafungol treatment so he has been getting L-S dips only. Anyway just checking in with you to see how you and the cats are doing.