Help with pregnant cat!!

Danicalauren

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have a cat named Callie she went through her heat cycle around June 23rd started mating with my male cat and hasn’t had a heat cycle since. I’ve noticed her getting big so I figured she was pregnant and then out of nowhere she seemed way smaller... last night around 2 am she let out a huge screech and was chirping and meowing like crazy , seemed restless kept adjusting and licking her abdomen and private, I was expecting to see kittens but she only did this for about 15 minutes and then she was back to acting normal for hours and has been since 5pm today. Is this normal? Should I expect kittens soon ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Danicalauren

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve been taking her temperature too and it’s only went down from 102.5-100.8

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Taking her temperature is not necessary. She’s around 61 days along and due sometime in the next few days. She was likely having some pre-labor pains as her body prepares for the real thing. This is not unusual.

Have you made a nest for her and bought supplies?

Danicalauren

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I have already put together her nest and bought supplies, when should I expect kittens? In addition to this she also hasn’t produced any milk yet.

Danicalauren

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And her nipples don’t seem that big either but I also don’t know what they looked like before

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Milk may not come in until she gives birth. Or, you may see dried milk on her nipples in the next few days. Each cat is different. Good you’ve got supplies ready.

Have you seen or felt kitten movement in her sides over the last couple of weeks?

Danicalauren

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven’t really seen any movement she has very long hair and she’s pretty small I think she will have a small litter , I can feel bulges though.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you supplementing her with calcium rich kitten food and extra calories? She needs lots of calcium to ensure an easy, healthy labor. KMR is a good nutritional drink for pregnant cats - I use the powdered version (I avoid Hartz brand). It won't harm your male cat to have a little milk, either.
All cats are expected to become nursing moms so weight gain isn't a concern - she will quickly lose it all.
Be sure to reduce any rowdy or overactive play at this late stage of pregnancy. Search out and block off any "hidey holes" such as vents, openings that access crawlspaces, places not with reaching distance - if you can enlist the help of kids, they often can discover places that you'd never realize. If a cat has an emergency during labor, they tend to try to hide from the discomfort so you need to be able to reach her. If you can't block off under beds and furniture, put flattened cardboard on the floor so if you need to pull her out, she will be laying on that (like cookies on a cookie sheet).
After the kittens are here, they can be picked up to be weighed but let any kids know that overhandling can lead to fading kitten syndrome/kitten mortality - however, neonates make excellent observation projects. Kids love helping create a "kitten journal", even if they are too young to write the entries themselves.
Speaking of journals, here at TCS we call it "updates" and we love pictures (even of proud papa! :camera: :happycat::cheerleader::grouphug:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, calcium is needed both to make the kittens' bones as well as for muscular action. If she doesn't get additional calcium, she'll use her own bones and teeth as a source of calcium, which means she could have dental or skeletal problems afterward. Poor calcium reserves may mean poor muscular contractions at birthing as well. Give her the KMR before and after delivery.

Cats often get attached to less-than-optimal nesting locations and will keep moving their kittens back if relocated. Best to block off any bad nesting spots before she picks one. A big box in a quiet closet with a blanket is often a good location. Perhaps a couple of such locations chose by you before the big day will entice her to pick one.

Danicalauren

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats name is Callie , I believe she is due soon her nipples are the only thing I can go off of right now they started getting more pink and big around September 26th, this Sunday the 7th , she started leaking brownish/red discharge and has been since today but very small amounts, picture below. She has been acting completely fine as of yesterday but now she’s being distant with me , not coming when I call her and this is not like her. I’m really not positive when she is due but there is a lot of kitten movement in her abdomen. I’m just wondering if she is due soon or if I have something to worry about , the discharge is not smelly at all to clarify.... in addition to this she also still had been eating like normal but I doubt that the pregnancy will make her not eat she goes crazy for food.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If her nipples pinked up around Sept. 26th, she is now approximately 66 days along. Some pinkish and brownish discharge is normal at this time because she is due literally any day now, and will likely give birth in the the next 1-3 days. The discharge is due to hormonal changes as her body prepares to give birth.

Hopefully you’ve set up a nest for her and shown it to her, and your only concern will be if she gets in distress and cannot deliver a kitten within an hour of pushing. That would mean she needs vet help right away.

Most cats deliver normally on their own so no reason for concern at the moment.

Keep us posted!

Danicalauren Danicalauren

Last edited:

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah she's pretty ready to go, she's crowning, EG her inner parts are peeking out of her outer parts. prep somewhere to give birth, a few blankets, or cardboard boxes in a very low traffic area of your house and let her settle. Keep a remote eye on her, but don't interfere unless you have to!! watch some cat birth videos on youtube.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is your cat today? If she is still having reddish discharge you may want to get her checked by a vet before the weekend starts. Please update.

Danicalauren Danicalauren