Help with Our Specific Urinating Issues

sockslokithor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone and thanks for taking a moment to help.

My wife and I are dog people who have three cats because we can't always be home to let a dog out. My 15 year old daughter really needs animals around, so it was a cat or nothing. Our cats are 100% housecats and never let outside.

We got the first cat (socks) but we were new to the whole cat thing. He was a barn kitten and we didn't know to get him fixed before he started spraying. We quickly got him fixed, but we're 99% sure he's never stopped spraying. 

When he was about a year old he got out of the house for one day. We brought him back in and cleaned him up, but a few weeks later we noticed him acting frightened/anxious often. At this point we (seriously) think he has PTSD.

When Socks was about 15 months old, we took in two brother kittens, Loki and Thor. Socks's anxiety only got worse, and he jumps at almost any sudden sound. He runs in fear from plastic bags which he didn't do for the first year or so. We think it's the older cat spraying, but all three have been caught doing it at one time or another. The two new cats were fixed before they began spraying on their own, but the (suspected) spraying from the older cat might be confusing them.

The spraying has never stopped and to date we've spent hundreds of $$ on new couches. We've had seven couches and just threw out two peed-on chairs. All the spraying/peeing is in the living room on soft couches/chairs unless we leave a pile of laundry somewhere. 

We have increased the number of litter boxes (there are now four, in two different places. We have a three-level house (basement, ground floor and bedroom floor), but we have no place to keep a litter box on the ground floor - there simply isn't space and believe me we've wracked our brains about it! So two are upstairs in the linen closet and two are in the basement in the washroom. They don't use the basement ones very often unless I'm down there doing laundry.

So I've tried to anticipate any question you kind folks might ask me; here are my questions.

1) Is there anything else I can do to stop the spraying? We've been on websites and watched videos several times, and the problem persists.

2) Can anyone recommend waterproof couch and chair covers that are ACTUALLY waterproof and ACTUALLY machine washable and NOT clear plastic? Everything online I'm finding is either just plastic - which is ugly and noisy, but that's what we're dealing with now - or it's cloth and not actually waterproof.

Thank you so much for any suggestions you may have!

Matt - 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS. First, are you sure that Socks is spraying (peeing on vertical spaces as opposed to peeing on horizontal ones)? Secondly, are you cleaning the peed on places with a good enzyme cleaner like Nok-Out? You might need a blacklight to identify all of the spots at this point. If all traces of the smell are not removed (from their senses, not just yours), they will continue to think it's a good place to pee which is what I suspect is happening with the younger males. And finally, has Socks ever had an urinalysis done to rule out a medical issue?

If a medical issue is ruled out, there are other things you can try - Feliway pheromone diffuser, Cat Attract litter, retraining in a confined space, etc. However, I really would recommend a vet check first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sockslokithor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've ruled out an issue with Socks, medically speaking. I've used several products to clean the spots - and even used a blacklight for a while - but we never get them all or it doesn't stop the peeing. 

And yes, it is peeing, not spraying. See what n00bs we are? :-)

We reach a point where we get sick of the smell and throw the furniture out. We get new furniture, cover it with plastic that they often manage to pull off during their playing when we're not here, and he/they pee. We clean it (we even bought a SpotBot wet vac). We've invested lots of $$ in cleaners, but it always happens again. And again. We get sick of the smell, repeat the cycle.

Also, many of the products that are recommended are very expensive, and I've been out of work for some time, so we don't' really have the cash to buy lots of expensive cleaners.

At this point, going on 2.5 years of this, I am just exhausted. I'd be happy to give all three cats up for adoption. My family doesn't even consider this an option, so here I am.

Thanks for your thoughts!

djoe

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey there,
I am not sure I have an advice but we had similar issue with Lucy about 11 years ago. About a year after we got her...
we adopted her as we moved to a new place, and the family was gradulally movimg in. similar story she went out, was pribably traumatised by another cat (still is until today) combined with the apartment slowly filling up with furniture. Then ehrn my mom moved in, the peeing started. She would pee on my mom's legs as she sleeps EVERY NIGHT ... occasionally on couches and chairs.

Long story short. There was a spray the pet shop advised, it smelled horrible like old cat pee, which we had to spray around.... with a bit of extra care, and some time passing, it eventually stopped.

I can't remember the name of the spray as it was about 10 11 years ago.

Last edited: