Help with new kitten and peeing outside litterbox

hbanan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I just wanted a few tips on training my new kitten to use the litter box. He's about 9 weeks old now. I've had him about a week. He's peed outside the litter box a total of three times. The first was when I first got him and he peed in a random box I had lying around. The second time was the first night I let him sleep outside of the bathroom. He peed on a blanket in the middle of the night. The third was tonight and he went inside my purse! It's definitely peeing and not spraying. Is this normal? Oscar is my first kitten. I know he's still a baby, and patience is required. However, he's not like my other cat Effie, who listens to words like "no" and "off". Any tips on how to encourage him to use the box would be appreciated.

Oh, I did have litter box problems with my other cat Effie (due to health issues when I brought her home from the shelter), so I do know about multiple litterboxes and I use cat attract litter (The only kind Effie likes). 

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello. Since he is so young this is quite normal. It would be best to keep him confined for a time to 1 room with everything he needs. This makes him finding his box easier, and getting to it in time easier also. If you want to allow him run of the house, more litter boxes are needed. These can be temporary types, such as throw away tin roasting pans. You can slowly reduce the number of boxes as he grows and is better trained.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hbanan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh thank you! I will try the temporary litter boxes. I Just wanted to know I have normal kitty behavior and not a major problem like I did when I brought effie home. I have been (probably unwisely) letting him roam the house when I'm at work. I lucked out and Oscar and Effie got along immediately and the both really like to play.

Thank you again!