Help with my sick kitten

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If its panleukopenia, its also YOU may become the carrier of the virus... I mean, its not just to clean off your flat...
You should also clean off and sterilize yourself before you go out....
change of clothes, thorough washing of hands, etc...

A suitable UV lamp may help to kill off the virus in the clothes shoes etc... (dont look at the UV-light (have your glasses on IF you must), and dont breathe too much the ozon-rich air).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh dear. I hope that’s not it. I’ve researched it many times and honestly looks like most kittens don’t make it

Moms back story:
I was asked to take her heavily pregnant and the kittens dad. Supposedly they were bonded but “Samson” went for adoption. Supposedly they were sent to a pet sitter and the owner ghosted her. I say supposedly because the pet sitter didn’t even know their names. Supposedly mom has her vaccines.
She was heavily infested with worms as in they were crawling live out of her butt. Deworming started 2 days before the kittens were born. She was given vaccines a week after they were born. She’s had diarrhea the entire time I’ve had her. Dewormed 3 times. Tried pumpkin, white rice and FortiFlora. Kittens just finished the first round of Panacur.

I had planned to add some probiotics Fortiflora to the kittens mixture today. I am also giving a tiny bit of “under the weather “ to the sick ones each day.
I will assess again today
I’ve taken a singleton 2 week bottle baby that is no where near them and am trying my best not to contaminate.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m hoping the Metronidazole will clear mom. I’ve never heard of giving vaccines a week after kittens are born, but whatever mom was given, there will be small amounts in her milk, so who really knows what is going on.

Just continue doing what you’re doing. It seems to be helping. Keep us posted.

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: the babies are holding their own. Not losing weight but not gaining. “Jack” is still pooping abnormally but both Jack and Sawyer are acting like normal kittens which is great. Gave them both the concoction of Karo, chicken baby food and Fortiflora.

Bad news is that I am an epic failure at getting the metro into Mom. Sigh. There’s a reason I prefer to be a kitten foster. And now she doesn’t trust me any longer. It breaks my heart to see her cower from me. I “hid” the rest of her dose in baby food chicken. Up where the kittens can’t reach it. Hopefully she eats it.
Her poops are definitely better

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stays quo today. Not gaining nor losing. Wondering if I should take the chance and separate from mom…..has had 4 days of metro. Syringing once a day the baby food,karo and Fortiflora mixture.
IMG_5712.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s possible that something in mom’s milk is upsetting this kitten’s tummy. Try giving the baby food mixture several times a day. Perhaps kitten will nurse less and gain weight. The baby food meat is all protein. And perhaps the poop will begin to change. What’s coming out is not normal at all.

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. Quick update. “Jack” is behaving much more kitten like today. More importantly his poop is a normal color and has a little consistency. Plus he’s put a tiny bit of weight back on. Next problem is that there is blood in it. Not a lot. Any ideas? Day 6 of metro.

Little “Sawyer” is coming along…..not losing weight but not gaining. he doesn’t love syringe feeding but I’m trying….

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay. Advice please. I feel I may be doing too much/not enough.

If one kitten has coccidia don’t they all get it?
same for guardia?

Sawyer has put on weight AND he is eating gruel.

Jack is still losing and having diarrhea. Day 7 of metro. He’s still nursing multiple times a day but not eating any weaning food.

I have Fortiflora, under the weather, pedialyte, pumpkin, chicken baby food, pettinic, and have just ordered Jarrow Formulas Saccharomyces Boulardii coming tomorrow.
What-how much-how often would you use these tools to put weight on him.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you should call your vet and ask about the diarrhea. He may not gain weight until the diarrhea stops. It’s possible that the metro is not working and your vet wants to try something else.

You can try the chicken baby food on your finger first to see if he will lick it off. Kittens usually love it.

I would not overload him with much other than a sprinkle of a probiotic in his gruel.

Last edited:

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately the rescue is the one that can contact the vet and I don’t know what’s going on with them as they are not responsive to me in the last few days. I’m just trying to keep this kitten alive but at this point I don’t think I can. Crying as I’m writing this

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Perhaps stop the metro with this kitten. He’s had a week of it already, and it’s strong, and should have worked by now. So maybe he’ll at least feel a bit better and eat better once it leaves his system.

I’m sorry you’re not hearing back from the rescue, but I think you’re doing an amazing job keeping this little one going. At the least, keep him well hydrated. Hang in there!

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Perhaps stop the metro with this kitten. He’s had a week of it already, and it’s strong, and should have worked by now. So maybe he’ll at least feel a bit better and eat better once it leaves his system.

I’m sorry you’re not hearing back from the rescue, but I think you’re doing an amazing job keeping this little one going. At the least, keep him well hydrated. Hang in there!
Ty for your kind words. I think it’s too late. I can’t get ANYTHING into him. I can’t even be with him. He wants nothing to do with me and I do t want to make him feel worse. He was crying in pain loudly 20 minutes ago. I can’t comfort him. I’m so upset and angry right now. He’s suffering. He’s down to 12.5 ounces from a high of 21.7 10 days ago. Idk if I can do this again after this litter.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m so sorry to hear this. I can understand your feelings of helplessness.

Is he still having diarrhea? Is he peeing? Do you think he inhaled fluid into his lungs? How is his breathing? Will he still nurse mom?

V Vellamint

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He’s not pooped today. I haven’t caught him urinating either. He hasn’t nursed since last night so I pulled him. He has no problem with his breathing. I don’t think he’s aspirated anything. He’s on a heat source with everything he needs in there. I’ve been syringing 1 ml of baby food an hour. He DID drink a little water on his own. The rescue got back to me. They’ve changed the antibiotic to doxy. I picked up fluids and my daughter has come and she’s a cvt. She put 30 cc of fluid in him.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I sure hope he pulls through! Poor little guy. I know you are doing everything you can for him. Fluids and baby food are excellent. Keep us posted!

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jack is still with us… still not gaining or losing.
I’m no expert but I think mom has Coccidia. And has had it since I’ve gotten her. Idk what the vet did for her but….. I think I’m done… with this rescue anyway. I’ve had hard cases before but this is breaking me. I’ve asked them to take her but they are giving me Albon instead. NOT what I asked of them. Two months of diarrhea. And she’s a litterbox kicker. My skin is raw from cleaning my foster room. Sorry… I am just venting I guess. I’m so upset I can’t sleep. I’ve not dealt with Coccidia before - I’ve read everything I can find about it.
Doxy and Albion together for little Jack is what they are telling me? .7 mls for a 7 lb cat - .1 for a 13 ounce kitten?

How can she and only one kitten be sick with this? If they’ve had a mild case and recovered can they get it again?

Im so afraid of infecting my bottle baby with it. He’s in an entirely different room but am I to change clothes going from room to room?

My own cats?

Last edited:

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just want to say a few things with the intention that maybe it helps you feel a bit better. First, you're doing a great job. Fostering isn't always easy. I've definitely taken breaks after really sick ones. It's a lot. It's hard when these animals aren't your own - you're kind of limited to what the rescue wants to do with them. These kittens often come in with all sorts of things and can turn on a dime sometimes. I have had a couple of foster kittens pass and it's really sad, but they were dealt a bad hand. You are doing everything you can for these sick ones and I just don't want you to take it too hard if one doesn't make it. It really sounds like you're trying and putting a lot of care and effort in. 🤗 I'll keep hoping for the best and hope one of these treatments help!