HELP WITH MY PERSIAN CAT!

LilyRosie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey,

I have a Persian cat with a serious cardiac heart disease, Im not quite sure of the name, but because of this she can not be spayed, so she has to have a hormone injection every 3 months to stop her coming into heat, it is also used to help cut her chances of mammory cancer; which cats that have not been spayed are at risk of. The problem I have is that the hormone injection changes her personality from loving to not wanting to be touched, I have no problem with this because not matter what I love her, but what I was wondering was if there was anything else that would do the same job as the injection without changing her personality. 

I would love to hear from anyone with knowledge, ideas or simply in the same position!

Thanks for your time.

enendawson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Truly, I do not have a clue what would help (I'm not a professional or anything.  My cats have always been pretty easy).  But I know what it feels like to worry about your cat.  They're family.

Have you asked your vet about alternatives or expressed your concerns to them?  I call my vet a lot with questions, and they give me their advice or tell me they'll have the vet call me with information if they can't answer.  I don't necessarily take my cats in every time.  We live in a small town though, so they know a lot of people (and pets) by name.  I would give that a try.  I'm sure they would know who your cat is if they have had to give her injections so much.  If they can't give you a better answer, maybe get a second opinion by calling a different vet in your area.  A vet is like a doctor, and like every doctor, they're only human and have their own opinion/knowledge of what's best. 

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Shot induced PMS???

I have no suggestions......maybe talk with a holistic vet?

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take Depo Provera and that first day I don't feel all that well. I have a mild headache, I'm hungry and sleepy. The next day forward I'm fine. But that one day, just let me eat and sleep.

enendawson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Peaches08 does have a point.  I also get depo injections (a hormone shot, I believe), and my husband always dreads when I have to go get them because, as he says, I become snappy and irritable for a time.  

I don't see why it would really be so different in cats.  Or any animal.  A hormone injection would make her out of balance, literally.  I'm sure you've probably already taken that into consideration... we're not offering much of a solution.  If she needs a hormone injection (which, I would assume she does, if the purpose is to keep her from going into heat), then I'm not sure that there would be an alternative.  On the other hand, birth control medications use hormones, and not every woman reacts the same to the same medication.  There may be some medication alternative with which she will react different.  It would still be for the best, I think, to express your concerns to your vet and ask about a new medication.