Help with my new semi aggressive Siamese mix

Finnegans Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted Finn, a 6 month old Siamese mix about a month ago from a rescue group. I was told he was such a sweet boy that will follow you everywhere. The first day home he quickly settled in and he was exactly that - a sweet boy who followed me. That lasted about 24 hours - he's still sweet and follows me but it's limited and on his terms. His general behavior leans towards aggression but on different levels depending on the day.

He's also got the worst case of kitten zoomies and not the cute kind. He goes bananas - running everywhere, slamming into walls, and usually ends up by literally climbing the walls. (He jumps into the doorframe of my room and claws his way halfway up.) This happens several times a day and for no reason. He also gets them for long stretches usually 20-30 minutes at a time. Sometimes he gets them back to back (20 minutes then he stops for a few minutes and starts again) and I'm terrified he's going to hurt himself. A belief that was partially reinforced when I found a tooth one day after a particularly intense session. After a bunch of internet searching, I'm pretty sure he lost a baby tooth. This might explain the constant nipping/biting of everything (like my fingers as I'm typing this) - if he's teething. I've noticed that his pupils get wide during and after the zoomies leaving him more aggressive. I do play with him daily for a good amount of time in the morning and at night. However, he's also very aggressive when playing, he attacks my hands, toes, and has "accidentally" scratched me several times during "play". Playtime has "triggered" zoomies which has led to him using my body (feet, hands, arms) as a "zoomie launch/landing pad" leaving me with puncture wounds. I've tried different assorted toys to channel his energy. His favorite are plush mice - he carries them in his mouth as he runs around keeping himself entertained for a short period. My favorite is using a laser to entice him to climb and play on the (48") cat tree with danglers.

He loves treats and tried positive reinforcement in the beginning. I had to stop using it because the treats would trigger aggression. He'd swat or grab my hand or bite me to get the treat and he'd get "mad" when I put them away. He's smart and motivated - he still paws at 2 different drawers I used to "hide" the bag of treats the first week. After he ate his way into a bag of treats I started storing the bulk in a plastic deli container. I can put a daily portion of treats in the small bag or on the scratching tree when he's sleeping quietly.

I get that he's 6 months old and still very much a kitten. I'm hoping someone has an idea of how to stop or control the zoomies. I'd also love any suggestions on dealing with teething. Along with any thoughts if that could be a cause for him biting/clawing everything including me. Play therapy doesn't seem to be working. The worst part is I'd like to cut his claws but I can't do that if he's scratching me. I appreciate any thoughts or assistance.

Thanks!
Marni - aka Finn's Mom

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I too had a Siamese mix when I was a little kid that we named Thai Yang. He also was rough when playing, and being a little kid I encouraged it, but it was only with me and it was only certain times of the day. Yes, they are very smart and in time he will calm down and become your best friend. The "zoomies" that you refer to are bursts of adrenaline that all cats get from time to time and those will last well into their adulthood.

If he gets too rough with you can you distract him by shaking a jar of coins? You can also offer him a stuffed toy as a substitute for your hands- anything to distract him. (The toy should be as large as he is). I had a pink leash that I would use to play with my kitten , dubbed the pink python :). We would play until it wore him down.

If worse comes to worse- leave. Abruptly get up, walk out of the room and close the door behind you. If he bit his siblings too hard that is exactly what they would do- they would stop playing with him.

Have a vet or groomer cut his claws- should be no more than five dollars.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

I think (I realize I'm not there so bear with me) that what you're describing as aggression would be better thought of as behavior from a youngster who hasn't been taught the difference between bad manners and appropriate manners, --which jefferd18 jefferd18 is referring to above as well.

Another thing his siblings or mama would do, try a really hard hiss at him when he starts swatting or biting, clap your hands, use the coin can (a metal can partly filled with coins can be quite noisy), throw your jangly noisy keys on the floor near to him. He needs to learn that swatting and biting is unacceptable, and as smart as he is (meezers are such fantastic cats) he'll catch on but you must be consistent.

He's possibly teething - try taking some clean washcloths (well rinsed if you utilize scented dryer sheets), dampen them and partially freeze them. He may find that chewing these will ease the discomfort and you might also consider a vet checkup to make sure his mouth and teeth are ok plus, as mentioned, they could clip those claws, and additionally you might talk to the vet about claw caps.

The zoomies are what they are. He has a tremendous amount of energy that needs to be worked off. Clear your surfaces of breakables and try and keep yourself out of his way when he's getting ready to launch. Do you have several different types of scratchers - flat, hanging, upright so he can really stretch? Those can help be an outlet for some of the energy...

How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat

Can you try a harness and leash? Can you create a catio if you have a backyard? The mental exercise could be invaluable.
Harness And Leash Training For Cats

Take a look at some of the self interactive toys that are available, plus he might really like a Ripple Rug.
Home

There might be something in these articles or the additional articles linked in them;
How To Stop Problem Chewing In Cats
How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know

Last edited:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yah this is why its so much easier to adopt two lol. The only thing you can do is really play him out with a wand toy. Provide environment enrichment, you can even do clicker training. Make sure to never, EVER play with your hands or feets, I'd recommend getting da bird it gives a very long wand so you can have a safe distance from him. He bites or scratches say OW loudly, do NOT move (or push towards his mouth if he has your hand or feet in his mouth), then wait a bit... and then continue play. He will learn that rough play = play stop. Hes unfortunately in that teenage stage. For his teething you can get some silvervine sticks. :)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I've never had a cat that had 20 minute zoomies, and back to back too! And clawing the way to the top of a door?! That is flipping Abyssinian territory right there. Ugh, feel your pain.

I pretty much agree with what has been said. Training not to bite shouldn't be *that* hard, but you definitely have a really hyper kitten and there isn't so much that can be done about that. Could roll the dice and get another kitten, but its somewhat risky. Tooth notwithstanding, when he gets the zoomies . . . go into another room. You can't help a cat in the depths of the zoomies, you'll just get hurt.

If you can stick it out, no kitten stays this active forever. But, as you probably already know . . . it can last a long while and decline only gradually.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Finnegans Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Right now I'm furloughed from work and not going out much so I'm noticing everything. Growing up there were always cat(S) in my house never just one. Maybe that's why I've never had any of these issues in this way. Plus I grew up in a house. A second cat isn't an option since my condo is small and barely has space for the two of us. His energy bursts really are something beyond. Now I'm wondering if they are more intense because the space is small. I had really hoped playtime would wear him out - especially since I'm playing with him a lot more than I'll be able to when I return to work. I hope Jefford18's experience of cats having them into adulthood isn't the norm. I'll try finding some self interactive toys, as well as the silvervine sticks. I already put a towel in the freezer to try tonight. I've also always been in the same room when the zoomies start. Leaving (if I can) might be helpful. Even if it just breaks the cycle. I also like the idea of hissing like a momma cat..... Fingers crossed this will pass soon.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, get yourself out of the equation. Its true a cat can have the zoomies without going after the human, in fact that is probably the norm. It can be fun for a lot of us to watch the zoomies if we have enough space, and a cat that doesn't come after us. However, your kitten isn't trained not to play bite/attack yet, and in a small space with bad zoomies, it is best to absent yourself. You definitely aren't alone -- we have had a poster or two in a studio that felt real terror and had real wounds from the zoomies. The zoomies are funny and fun to watch -- except when they aren't.

Finnegans Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, get yourself out of the equation. Its true a cat can have the zoomies without going after the human, in fact that is probably the norm. It can be fun for a lot of us to watch the zoomies if we have enough space, and a cat that doesn't come after us. However, your kitten isn't trained not to play bite/attack yet, and in a small space with bad zoomies, it is best to absent yourself. You definitely aren't alone -- we have had a poster or two in a studio that felt real terror and had real wounds from the zoomies. The zoomies are funny and fun to watch -- except when they aren't.
Isn't that the truth.... my space was built in the 40's - the rooms are built around/connected by a tiny hall (4' x 5') so he gets "stuck" either in the 20' living room or the 20' section which is my room plus hall. In both cases, he uses the furniture (my bed or the couch) where I'm sitting as runway/launch pads......the fear is real when he's crashing into/around me. I've only had well-trained adult cats in the space prior to getting him so it didn't cross my mind that my space isn't designed for a kitten. I just don't think he has enough room to let it out = multiple bursts, longer durations. It also could be the reason for him climbing the walls..... he's figured out there's vertical space. The good news is leaving the situation seems to help slightly. At least I'm not getting wounded.

It's definitely been a learning process and I appreciate all the feedback.

Finnegans Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you're allowed to (you're in a rental?) you could consider putting shelving up that he could use to help with that need for elevation - my boy has the same drive to get up high :). Cat trees help somewhat, but even so...

Designing Your Cat Wall ⋆ Catastrophic Creations
I own and have thought about it. Weird thing is that he doesn't seem to like height when he isn't zooming around. I got him a tree that has 3 levels and I need to coax him to climb to the top 2.
1592667039360.png

Finnegans Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He really is.... he's also very sweet when he's calm and not biting me.

saweeet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, any update on the behaviour ? Would love to know your experience on what you did to help get past this stage, how long it took for Finn to settle down. Thanks!