Help With Moving

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be moving at the end of next week. I'm trying to do everything I can to prepare. Today I am looking up the numbers and addresses to the closest vets and I'm going to pack a bag with some of their stuff and medication. I got some kind of sedative for Artemis because he freaks out when he is confined either with a door shut or being in a carrier. The day I move I'm going to empty out the office and put a litter box in there and shut the door until I am ready to put them in crates and go out the door. Then when we get to the new place, I'm going to put them in the basement with a couple litter boxes and shut the door. That's the only room that we won't be moving in and out of, so I think that's the safest place for them. The basement is attached to a half bath on the first floor and then there are steps in the bathroom that lead to the basement. So people are just going to have to use the bathroom upstairs so I can keep the door shut.

I also got a sentry calming collar for Luna. Or maybe I should just leave them in their carriers? No moving could take a long time. I should just shut the door and leave them down there.
Is there anything else that I need to do?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you are very prepared! Our cats have moved probably 4 or 5 times to different apartments, and while disruptive, they are always fine.

And we do what you were planning - keep them in a safe room, with a "DO NOT OPEN, CATS INSIDE" sign (in case the movers forget) until they are ready to go.

Then they go into the carriers, out the door, and into the designated safe room at the new place. Another sign on the door. Trin always wants to run around like a headless chicken and explore, Gohan stays in the carrier until it gets quieter. They typically are walking around at least the first room by that night.

Also, is the basement finished? Keep an eye out for any weird hiding spots they might find, and freak you out.

It's hard on everyone, but you seem like you are very prepared. That is great! Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you are very prepared! Our cats have moved probably 4 or 5 times to different apartments, and while disruptive, they are always fine.

And we do what you were planning - keep them in a safe room, with a "DO NOT OPEN, CATS INSIDE" sign (in case the movers forget) until they are ready to go.

Then they go into the carriers, out the door, and into the designated safe room at the new place. Another sign on the door. Trin always wants to run around like a headless chicken and explore, Gohan stays in the carrier until it gets quieter. They typically are walking around at least the first room by that night.

Also, is the basement finished? Keep an eye out for any weird hiding spots they might find, and freak you out.

It's hard on everyone, but you seem like you are very prepared. That is great! Good luck!
It's not finished, but it's dry, and that's really the only place I can figure that I can let them out. Unless I leave them inside the carriers the whole time I move in.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn't have to be finished, just take a look before you let them out that there is no access to crawl-spaces or anything that they could get into if they look like good hiding spots.

Our last move we didn't have a good safe room, so we put them in the laundry room. Trin ran behind the dryers for a while, which wasn't great but he could get out. Just keep an eye out for what trouble they may get into.