Help With Liquid Medication (atopica)

Caoimhe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Me and the kitty are having troubles with the medication that she needs for her illness. She should be given 0,45 ml of Atopica once a day. Unfortunately, this liquid medicine is absolutely disgusting, and poor little kitty has started to drool heavily whenever I give her the medicine directly in her mouth. Not only is this uncomfortable for both of us, but it also means that she doesn't get all the medicine that she needs to keep her illness at bay. :(

Now, I've tried to mix the Atopica with different sorts of foods with strong tastes, such as tuna, mackerel, and so forth, but that trick only works for a couple of days before she grows tired (that is, IF it even works to begin with).

It IS possible to get the medicine in capsules instead of in liquid form, but the capsules are enormous, and from my understanding she will need a couple or so of them every day. Therefore, I'm not very keen to try those.

I don't know what to do. :( Does anyone have any tips as to how I can make this experience less awful? Something that tastes so irresistibly good that my cat just won't be able to deny it, ever? Any tips are welcome!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are there compounding pharmacies in Sweden? In the US, compounding pharmacies can turn most any medicine into a different from. A flavored chew treat is an option.

Are the capsules solid or are they they kind that can be pulled apart? Solid capsules can be cut into half or more and put into a Pill Pocket or similar dough. Pull apart capsules can be taken apart and the powder mixed into food.

Have you tried meat only baby food? Canned cat food gravy? StefanZ StefanZ do you have any suggestions for what is available in Sweden?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caoimhe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are there compounding pharmacies in Sweden? In the US, compounding pharmacies can turn most any medicine into a different from. A flavored chew treat is an option.

Are the capsules solid or are they they kind that can be pulled apart? Solid capsules can be cut into half or more and put into a Pill Pocket or similar dough. Pull apart capsules can be taken apart and the powder mixed into food.

Have you tried meat only baby food? Canned cat food gravy? StefanZ StefanZ do you have any suggestions for what is available in Sweden?
I can find no such thing as a compound pharmacy here in Sweden. It would've been handy, though!

The capsules are described as soft, so from my understanding they are filled with liquid. Therefore, they need to be given in one piece. :/

I haven't tried meat only baby food (if that is, human baby food). I'll definitely try one of those if I can find something fitting! Different cat foods and gravy have been tested, however, and just like with the different kinds of fish, they might work once or twice before she grows tired and won't even smell them. She's a bit of a picky eater, this one!

Thanks for your reply! <3

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
According to this website Atopica capsules for dogs can also be given to cats but you would have to, 1) check with your vet, and 2) the dosage would have to be adjusted. It's definitely worth asking your vet about if the capsule form would be easier for you to administer.
Can Atopica capsules for dogs be given to cats?

HPeters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet about another form and any local pharmacies if they compound.
Until then (or if it doesnt pan out) you can get your cat used to it by filling the syringe with ONLY something yummy (tuna water, thinned out gravy or pate, whatever) and give it to her so she starts to associate the syringe with deliciousness and when you do medicate her, immediately follow it with goodness
Best of luck!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I can find no such thing as a compound pharmacy here in Sweden. It would've been handy, though!
Yes and no. The used word is extempore specialtillverkade läkemedel. It seems its mostly hospital pharmacies which are working with this. And I suppose its your vet whom must ask them to do this. if you want to try yourself, contact
Ej landstingskund
Om du inte är landstingskund, kontakta Kundservice

Telefon
0771 - 210 210

E-post
[email protected]

The common pharmacies doesnt seem to do such any longer, precisely as you say.

There were specialized animal pharmacies, djurapotek, which were specialized apotheks, you could also buy their products through the usual apotek.
But it seems its gone now. The label djurapotek is now a private company making and selling specialized food and nutrients for dogs and cats....

But there are some online shops whom do have some veterinary service with a real veterinar attached, for example vetzoo.se ...

Anyway, the main solution is probably you ask your vet again for advices on some other alternative. You had already payed hisher fee, so you are hershis paying patient now... You should be allowed to phone or mail, and ask for free as its the same errand.

Hope this helps!

Hälsningar!

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know if you have a cheap local vet that you can go to, but if you do, they are usually willing to give the medicines for a small fee. I am having trouble giving my cat medicine, pretty much every vet around here were willing to help. Normal rates for that around here are about 12$ but I negotiated down to 3$ per day per medicine. I'm sure the price will be higher in Sweden but I don't think it would be too expensive to afford.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caoimhe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news! I have been giving Älva Cyclance instead of Atopica for the last few days. It's the same medication (ciclosporin), only Cyclance is half the price as Atopica... and not nearly as disgusting! It's such a relief, and I've made sure that the closest pharmacy will have this medication available at all times so that we never have to go back to Atopica. :yess:

IMG_4114.JPG