HELP with kitten sitting in his litter while urinating

Carlton313

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a black kitten who’s about a year old, and I’ve just recently noticed that he is completely sitting (not squatting) in his litter while he pees. He comes out of the litter box with urine and clumped litter all over his backside and I keep finding residue of it from where he initially sits after leaving the box :doh: I’ve had him for several months and have never noticed him sitting in the box or the dirty rear end, but honestly I may have just not caught him in the act. He only does it for urinating, not pooping. Can someone please tell me how to get him to stand up so I don’t have to follow him around with a wet wipe all day:help:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What could be the cause makes a big difference on whether or not this behavior is new or long term. If it is a recent issue, could be a urinary issue causing him to change the way he positions himself while peeing. Is he peeing less each time, but more often - signs typical of a urinary infection or possible urethral problem.

Or - have you recently changed the amount of litter in the box? If there is more than before, then the height of the litter could explain why he is getting more on his behind than he once did - meaning that he may have always positioned himself that way and would explain why you didn't notice it before.

Hopefully other members will come along soon and have some other ideas for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Carlton313

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the input guys. I have three litter boxes in the house and he seems to do the same thing in all of them, so I don’t think the amount of litter in the box is the issue. He does pee a lot throughout the day but honestly he always has (like 4 or 5 times usually). And yes he is neutered.

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you change to a news print litter in won’t clump to his rear although I do find it occasionally tracked by sticking ing the long haired cats feet ( I have five cats there is going to be some mess) and lower level of litter were going to be my suggestions.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He does pee a lot throughout the day but honestly he always has (like 4 or 5 times usually). And yes he is neutered.
That seems like a lot, but I guess it might be normal for him. But since you've just recently noticed the litter sticking to his fur, it's possible this is a new behaviour. Therefore, I'd keep an eye on him, and consult with your vet if you think he might be unwell, or have a UTI.

Here's a TCS article that might be helpful: 35 Signs That Your Cat May Be In Pain