Help With Info On My Bi-color Cat, Misty

Misty's Guardian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She appeared on our patio last Sept. Just a little thing and very hungry. Perhaps 6 to 8 weeks old. Don't know. The picture with her paw in the air was taken after she had been with us for a couple of weeks. The other pictures are what she looks like now. She is Bi-Color, but web sites showing coloring of different bi-color cats and what parents should produce bi-color coat patterns don't show any like hers. I did find 1 picture that could be her near twin, and showing the overlapping fur colors and the length of fur just like Misty's. I think that site is: File Bicolor- cat-2013730jerusalem.jpg-wikimediacommons. Anyway it was from a Bi-Color cat pictures site. She now is long and lanky somewhat thin compared to adult cats, and very energetic! "can leap tall buildings at a single bound" .... Any help on what her background could be would be most appreciated, and how would she be classified? I will try to load some photo's. 029.jpg 049.jpg 058.jpg Misty's Pictures 001.jpg 058.jpg Misty's Pictures 001.jpg 029.jpg

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Misty would be a black and white bicolor (in the harlequin pattern) Domestic Mediumhair. The white spotting gene affects coat colors in different ways, so no two bicolors are alike. She is very cute! Her plumed tail and slender build do make her a Turkish Angora lookalike, yet Turkish Angoras are very rare, so it would be unlikely that she would have any in her ancestry (unless you live in Turkey, that is! ;))

Younger cats are usually lankier than adult cats (higher metabolism), so once Misty reaches a year old, her calorie needs will decrease. Have you gotten her spayed yet? You have done a great thing by rescuing her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Misty's Guardian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you abyeb. Yes she was spayed a couple of months ago. I thought she might have some Turkish Van in her background as she is intrigued by water. However, not enough to want to get in the shower with us as yet. And yes we have helped something like 15 or 20 cats since we have lived in our condo. I told my wife that maybe there is some kind of sign outside on our patio wall that only cats can see ----- "All cats welcome"... What does the harlequin pattern refer to?
And thank you again for your reply and information.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Turkish Vans come in the van pattern (color on/near the ears and tail only: Breed Profile: The Turkish Van). They are also quite rare in the states, so finding a Turkish Van mix (or any purebred mix) is highly unlikely. Turkish Vans aren't the only cats that like water, it's really a personality thing. If you look up "cats swimming compilation" on YouTube, most of the cats you will see are, in fact, random-bred cats. Here's a link to a TCS article that explains more about bicolors, and cat coat colors in general: Cat Coat Colors And Patterns

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Misty's Guardian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I finely got the picture of the near-twin for Misty's, so hope I can add to this thread.
Bicolor-cat-2013730jerusalem.jpg

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Misty's a lovely girl. Has she read all of Mister O'Reilly's books? My cats just seem to want to read the Washington Post and the New York Times. Of course, their housing's free, their meals are free and their medical care's free as well, so... well... what else, eh?