TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
F55A2939-87B0-42D3-84FC-4A4B32A95BFA.jpeg
6353C788-92D9-4CF1-8103-FA945924AF83.jpeg
8136DD2A-C275-42E9-BE98-23C99089BB2A.jpeg
20068133-A11A-4DD6-AF3A-7E478F6BDB84.jpeg
I
Can anyone help me ID what these scabs might be? I looked into it and looks like either cat acne or dermatitis but I’m not sure what he could be allergic to. Has anyone had similar issues?

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chin acne. You may want to see the vet, but I had good luck using Stridex NO ALCOHOL pads twice a day. Use ceramic or stainless dishes. Plastic can cause chin acne or make it worse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mary1994

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Chin acne. You may want to see the vet, but I had good luck using Stridex NO ALCOHOL pads twice a day. Use ceramic or stainless dishes. Plastic can cause chin acne or make it worse.
Thank you!! We use a glass bowl so hopefully that isn't irritating him. Do you think it is acne above his eye too? It is on both sides and we are seeing some hair loss.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I agree that the pics of the chin and mouth area do look like acne. It can appear elsewhere, but I also wonder if the irritated area at the ear is from scratching. If this is acne, it can be very dramatic; my avatar had an entirely bloody chin at one point. We did not use plastic dishes, but I also got rid of ceramic dishes and switched to only stainless steel for her. I used Vetericyn Plus successfully. It cleared up very quickly, so if this does not respond I would call the vet.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks like acne to me also. As its quite widespread you might need to see your vet. Once under control, keep it clean by gently wiping it with a soft cloth dipped in warm water. I found putting a little coconut oil on it helped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mary1994

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I agree that the pics of the chin and mouth area do look like acne. It can appear elsewhere, but I also wonder if the irritated area at the ear is from scratching. If this is acne, it can be very dramatic; my avatar had an entirely bloody chin at one point. We did not use plastic dishes, but I also got rid of ceramic dishes and switched to only stainless steel for her. I used Vetericyn Plus successfully. It cleared up very quickly, so if this does not respond I would call the vet.
Thank you so much! Is this the correct vetericyn VETERICYN Plus Feline Antimicrobial Facial Therapy for Cats, 2-oz bottle - Chewy.com

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, it is. I chose it because it is non toxic since it goes near the mouth.