Help With Hyperactive Adopted Cat

cheeseburger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About six weeks ago we adopted an ~18 month old cat from a local shelter. We have no idea what his history was prior to landing in the shelter. He is fixed.

We read a million books and watched a million videos to prepare for his adjustment to life in our home, but it turns out none of them were necessary. He wasn't remotely scared and just immediately wanted access to what was behind every closed door and to explore. He purred and snuggled in our laps from day 1. He seemed like a dream animal.

We had him checked by the vet and he did have Cat Scratch Disease so they put him on a month long regimen of antibiotics that he has just completed. That was his only health issue.

About two weeks in, we got him a GoCat Da Bird cat toy. It's basically a feather on a string. He LOVED this toy and got incredibly excited and aggressive playing with it. We had to put it away in a closet when it was not in use as he'd drag it all over the house and risked strangling himself. He learned to open the closet door where it was stored so we've had to childproof the door handle.

Around this time, his behavior began to change. He got extremely vocal, meowing constantly at the closet where the toy is kept and pacing in front of it. He will get very aggressive 5-6x times during the day, launching himself from hiding places and biting hard at our legs. We can't put our feet on the coffee table anymore because he'll instantly attack them and start biting hard at our toes and feet. In general, unless he is sleeping or being played with, he is crazed, meowling, aggressive and bouncing off the walls.

He will also not allow us to pet him (unless incredibly sleepy), cut his nails, brush him, or anything like that. He will trill as a warning and then bite if you continue.

Here are some of the things we have tried:
* Play sessions. We have FOUR separate self-play toys that he probably plays with 3 hours a day. We also use his Da Bird in active, bonding play for 20 minutes 3x/day. He also has puzzle feeders. Other than Da Bird, he seems to get bored with toys very quickly and his energy for hunting/stalking play is seemingly endless.
* Spray bottles. We use these when we are on the couch and he's attacking our feet. He runs away at first, but honestly I think he actually likes the attention and sees it as a fun game.
* Outdoor tent. He is a 100% indoor cat due to coyotes in our neighborhood. So I bought a large cat tent. He got used to it indoors, so I placed it outdoors and put him in it with toys, blankets that smell like him, food, water and litter. We have tried three 15 minute sessions and they have all ended the same: he tries to rip the tent with his teeth and then starts to pant and hyperventilate (cat anxiety signs) so I bring him back inside.
* Leash. He does not allow us to pet him unless he is on the verge of sleep (trills and bites us), so trying to get the harness on him has been an utter failure. We can't even get his collar on right now. I think he might like walks since he's fearless, if we could manage this.
* Rescue Remedy. I put some in his water. This does seems to make him sleep longer periods, but when he is awake he is still the same cat.
* Feliway - I have some on order. Will try it.
* Giving treats when calm and quiet. I do this every day 3-5 times/day, usually when he is sitting in the window quietly.
* Catnip. He appears to not have the gene for catnip. Catnip items, oils and sticks have no effect on him.

I would be willing to get another cat if it fixed the problem, but I am very concerned that he might be aggressive to another cat as well.

On the plus side, he doesn't spray, is a champion at using his litter box, and eats/drinks perfectly.

Honestly I'm losing my sanity and beginning to think about re-homing him. My legs and arms are shot to hell from all of the biting and I don't know how much more I can take. Please help!!! Thanks in advance.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like you’ve really tried to find ways to manage his energy level. My two suggestions would be:

1) A large catio. An actual free standing structure that he can climb in and feels more open might be more successful than the tent. It would also be sturdier so his attacking the sides would quickly show it wasn’t going anywhere and he’d relax in it. If his anxiety is the closed space, a catio is taller and more open so that shouldn’t be an issue like it is in a tent.

2) High spaces indoors - You can double your home space just by adding high shelf units throughout rooms. Cat trees and shelf units both give increased space without losing floor space for humans. You can also utilize them to challenge him to run, leap and jump from platform to platform to get more energy out.

You can also try preemptive play by keep wand toys or toss toys tucked on any flat surface. When you see him coming or you sit down just pull them out. Jackson Galaxy has a wand toy on a retracting string so you can keep it in a pocket. I’d also check out a local pet store or swap meet to see if anyone is selling homemade feather cat toy. Even just a small company feather toy instead of a large manufacture will retain more bird scent. Since he enjoys carrying da bird toy, maybe a small mouse with a feather tail or something similar would be safe for him to carry around and appease him.

Can you post a picture? I am curious that he looks like.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeseburger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for taking the time to read all of that and offer suggestions. I really appreciate it. Here's a picture of the little guy. :)

I love the idea of a catio but my instincts say it wouldn't work unless we went in with him. He wants to be where the people are and he is not happy until he is in the same space as them. He abhors closed doors of any kind. I'm not sure he can be enclosed for any extended period even with something as spacious as a catio.

Regarding high spaces, he's a little bit of an odd duck I think. We got him a beautiful cat tree and put it by the big window in front of the bird feeder but he won't use it. We've tried to coerce him with treats but he doesn't want to jump to the top level. He prefers a low seat by our front window. We tried moving his cat tree there since he likes that spot, and he still won't use it. We have lots of shelves (think Ikea-like shelving) in the house that I thought he'd be on constantly, but rarely jumps to high places. Is this even a cat that we acquired? ;)

I love the idea of the retractable string toy - going to look into that immediately!! Thanks so much.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Awww.... he's gorgeous. :purr:

Does he still purr and get in your lap, like when you first adopted him? Or is his personality completely different? I wonder if another vet checkup would be a good idea?

You may have already read these, but I'll post links to some TCS articles that may have some helpful tips:

Cat Aggression Toward People
Re-directed Aggression In Cats
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?

Even though he seems to enjoy it, spray bottles are not recommended per:
Cats And Discipline Don't Mix

Also please keep an eye on any scratches/bites that break the skin.
Cat Bites - What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know

HungryPandaCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Seems like your cat is a bush dweller - one that prefers low places. What do you mean by aggressive? Nibbling on toes or full on hissing I want to rip you to shreds aggressive?

One of my cats is a superactive hunter like yours. It is quite exhausting thinking of new ways to keep them entertained. I have few Da Bird type toys on rotation since she gets bored of the one type of prey. So far I've got feather, fluff ball, mouse, random object attached to string. My Yara also doesn't like it if I make it too easy for her to hunt, so I have to design little obstacle courses with chairs and boxes.

Do you have a set schedule that you stick to? I find that cats are more anal than dogs when it comes to sticking to their set routine, at least mine are.

You could try playing music for him. Acoustic guitar music calms my cats down pretty quickly, though I only use it as a back up when they're still crazy after I've played with them.

As for the petting..some cats just don't like being touched. Can't really force affection on them. My other cat Teddy, is quite independent and will only accept being petted if its on her terms. When she wants affection, she will come rub her face in my hand, and thats the only time I'm allowed to touch her.

6 weeks isn't a very long time in the cat world. Some just take longer to adjust. Hang in there! :)

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If he likes hunting/stalking toys, have you tried a laser pointer with him? It's one of the best toys for getting energetic cats to run around a lot. Compared to toys with strings like da bird, you can get a lot more range with the laser pointer, so the cat can sprint up and down hallways, stairs, etc. while you sit quietly in a central location with the pointer.

If he's not into catnip, have you tried valerian root or lemongrass? Both are supposed to be good alternatives. Be warned, though, that valerian root is really stinky.

I hear you on the difficulty of getting cats to like a harness-- mine couldn't be sweeter or more compliant, but still hates her harness and won't go anywhere in it! We're trying to stick with it despite the guilt-inducing sad kitty eyes she makes at us when we put it on her. Of course, we're not risking injury, which I gather you are....

You might keep trying with the tent. Our first cat was the most timid cat in the world (unlike your boy, I think) but gradually learned to enjoy exploring the hallway outside our apartment as long as the door was open so she could dart back inside whenever she chose and one of her people chaperoned her in the scary hallway. We got her to try it out by going out in the hallway ourselves and coaxing her out so that it was her decision to leave the safety of the apartment. I don't know if this is possible with your tent, but it might work with a catio and be a good bridge to independent safe outside time for your cat.

Good luck! He sounds like a handful, but he's definitely a cutie.