Help with how much to feed please?

Comicsbooksandcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted an adorable 1 year old female, Maggie May. She weighs about 8 pounds and is eating well (currently Fancy Feast wet) but it seems like she is still following us around when we are preparing our human dinners. I feed her about half a can when I leave for work around 6:30 am, and feed her the other half for dinner around 5:30 pm. I want to make sure she’s eating enough but I worry about leaving dry food out in her bowl for a midday meal due to hydration/weight concerns. I plan to ask the vet about this when I take her next week but figured it can’t hurt to ask here as well. Thank you for your help!

Attachments

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Leaving dry out will not keep her hydrated. My Maggie was 8 pds at that age. I fed her 1 5.5 oz can a day split 3 meals. She is good at letting me know when she's had enough or wants more. There are food timers for wet

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One can of Fancy Feast per day without any other cat food is not enough IMO.

I don't feed any dry food daily, I mostly use it for a treat when I need to medicate my cats. I feed one 5.5 oz can of wet food per cat per day, broken up into 5 or 6 servings. The wet food I feed average between 187 kcal and 210 kcal per can. My cats are at least 1.5 to 2 years old and former stray/ferals.

When you see the vet with your cat, ask them how her body condition is and preferably how many kcal's she should be eating. Very active cats require more calories than a sedentary cat does.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
20 calories per pound per day of wet has maintained my cat at 9lbs for 6 years. Very few treats. She doesn't seem overly hungry, but generally eats all her food before the next meal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Comicsbooksandcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your kind replies! I took her to the vet and he’s happy with her weight and eating two cans of food per day. That has seemed to make her happier although she still like to follow food scents!