Help With Harness Training!

Glitterfin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, I've got two indoor cats. One is 9 the other 1 and I'm keen to get them used to a harness so i can take them outside. This is largely because my 1 year old is particularly energetic and has been destructive in the past despite regular play time. Now I've bought two harnesses. Like this links, Red Mesh Cat Harness | Pets At Home

I don't know wether I've bought the wrong type or its just that it's so strange to the cats first of all.
I've got them used to the sight of them by feeding tests alongside them but getting the harness on for the first time wasn't great. My oldest, while keeping him still was the best and was quite happy to receive treats wearing it. Although he's never liked being kissed on the face so putting his head through the neck hoop wasn't his favourite. The youngest Daisy, who can be skittish, was harder to even get it on her head. She cried. She did however accept treats with it on but did walk around abit in an odd fashion. I took them off after a few minutes. So I'm just wanting advice on getting over that initial hurdle. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Our nervous cat may not be suited to going outside anyway but I also think the enrichment she would get is worth trying it. Thanks

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you just have to be patient. Just keep up the positive association with it. Let them wear them a few more times in the house with some treats before adding a leash and then before going out.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just like a collar it takes a while for them to get used to it, leave them on for and hour inside the house, loose, not tight until they get used to them. Then do it for an hour a couple times a day. Eventually they get used to them and actually associate going outside when they start doing so and will be happy to get them on. I think that is why most people don't harness their cats, it takes a while for them to accept it. My Chrissy would actually fall over on her side and act like she was playing dead when I first started putting her harness on! I finally let her just lay there for a while until she realized it wasn't killing her! Remember, most harnesses are not escape proof, my cats would turn around backwards and slip right out if they saw a dog or became frightened, so never take them out of your yard or surrounding area. I finally got a figure 8 harness for Chrissy that actually tightens when she tries to escape, I got tired of chasing her around. I had a retractable leash that let them wander a bit, but they learned quickly to wrap themselves around everything they could to make me come and unwrap them, so never leave them alone either, they can and will get into trouble. Many times I would just let them drag the leash so it wouldn't tangle so much, but I could grab it quickly if they tried to escape. They do work well for walking your cat, and it is a thousand times better than letting them run loose and take the chance of them getting hurt. Good luck!

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
figure 8 style harnesses didn't work for us at all. that was when the cats would just flop over and lie there. they hated them. I got them H style harnesses from Pugs2Persians etsy and the boys do well. I got the large ones and Tommy has worn it from 20 lbs all the way down to 13; we just keep adjusting it. Recently he was in the car for 40 minutes to the vet the next state over and then back home 40 minutes. He had just had it with the carrier and started thrashing around inside that morning before we were to head out so we just buckled him in it once around the collar and then around the ribs.
I have 2 other harnesses for the girls in case I ever need to leash them but it hasn't come to that. I think I did get them to wear them once for fitting.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there, I've got two indoor cats. One is 9 the other 1 and I'm keen to get them used to a harness so i can take them outside. This is largely because my 1 year old is particularly energetic and has been destructive in the past despite regular play time. Now I've bought two harnesses. Like this links, Red Mesh Cat Harness | Pets At Home

I don't know wether I've bought the wrong type or its just that it's so strange to the cats first of all.
I've got them used to the sight of them by feeding tests alongside them but getting the harness on for the first time wasn't great. ...
I've tried that one too, and if I remember right, it has some pretty strong velcro on it? Not only did my cat not like the "being encased by a large foreign object" feeling (LoL), but she never got used to the noisy velcro sound, unfortunately.

Just like a collar it takes a while for them to get used to it, leave them on for and hour inside the house, loose, not tight until they get used to them. Then do it for an hour a couple times a day. Eventually they get used to them and actually associate going outside when they start doing so and will be happy to get them on. I think that is why most people don't harness their cats, it takes a while for them to accept it. My Chrissy would actually fall over on her side and act like she was playing dead when I first started putting her harness on! ...
:yeah:

My cat was just like your Chrissy, she plopped over on her side, immobilized, and played dead! Too funny. She had the silliest expression on her face.

Actually, it wasn't funny -- as at the time I was trying to train her to use a harness, she had recently had knee surgery and was not in the strongest state physically. I wanted to use the harness to slowly walk her daily, as physical therapy after surgery. We eventually just tried a figure 8 harness... which (since I only walk her in the halls of my apartment building, not outside) turned into just me cutting that harness down and making it a simple leash and collar! Now she's happy.

I definitely would recommend to anyone trying to train a cat to use a harness, not to do it just after a cat has had surgery.:disappointed:
lol That was a bad idea but we rallied through it.