Help with giving azithromycin/oral medication

lgerkin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My new kitty needs azithromycin to treat his upper respiratory infection (already given Convenia). My issue is not being able to give it to him. It's not my first rodeo with giving cats medication, but this boy will absolutely have none of it. I've tried all the techniques in my toolbox experience, starting with putting it in his food (nope), then using a towel to wrap him (hard no) - he starts to panic and there's no holding him. Does anyone have ideas? The videos online really don't address a cat that is so uncooperative and freaked out. FYI I got him from a shelter where he was taken after being found in an abandoned house with 30 other cats and dogs. He's not feral but I am concerned about long term treatment for other conditions given his aversion to being touched around his mouth. Thanks for any feedback and suggestions!

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried to scruff and tilt back a bit? If you scruff and lift his front a bit, most of the time it will immobilize them temporarily. I'm assuming it's a pill, so use your finger to slide it up from under his chin, which will keep him from seeing your hand (he's tilted up and you're coming from down below).

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, taking him by the scruff and lifting just his front legs off the ground is the only way I could pill one of my cats too. Another way I have found is to get some Hartz Delectable Lickables in the STEW. (In-store at Walmart and Dollar General) Crush the pill and mix it in that or mix the liquid in, My picky cats gobble it up. Or try something really stinky like a small amount of water-packed tuna juice. That is what I gave ferals.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it a liquid or a pill?

If it's a pill, try these tip:

Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – Cat Articles
The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.

If it's a liquid, you may need an extra set of hands to help hold the cat. It's most likely not worth compounding the medicine into another form since it's only for a couple of days or so.

If the cat was already given Convenia (which can have long term effects for a few months after being given), why is another antibiotic also prescribed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lgerkin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks all! It's a liquid, which is part of the issue. I can't pull his head back because he could aspirate on the fluid. I live alone and there's no one who can assist everyday (especially with the pandemic). He's had two shots of Convenia over the last month and they don't seem to help, which is I think why the vet decided to prescribe it. The prescription calls for once/day for 7 days, then every 72 hours for 7 more doses! I just don't think it's going to happen but I appreciate any suggestions.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Convenia is a long lasting antibiotic. Giving it twice in a month is super risky. Here's some info: Convenia- long term antibiotic: Is it worth the risk? Some people do say that Convenia has worked for their cat and there were no long term side effects.

Can you ask the vet for an antibiotic that comes in pill form? You can use Pill Pockets or something to get the pill into the cat.

I know that doxycycline is another antibiotic that is usually prescribed as liquid and it can be flavored. I used it in a chicken flavored once and my cat literally would drink the medicine directly from the syringe because it was that tasty. Ask the vet if doxycycline might be an alternative antibiotic to use.

lgerkin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Yes, I'm concerned about Convenia as well. I just called the vet them and asked about alternatives. I'd LOVE to be able to mix it into his food, which is what I do with my other cat. He's a big eater, so chicken flavored anything would probably work:) I'll mention doxycycline. I've used it with other cats but forgot about it, thanks again!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would ask for pills. Another option is to see if it can be compounded into a treat, but then you'd have to wait. I give pills in cheese. Most of my cats like some kind of cheese whether it's American, Swiss, cheddar. I usually cut the pill into smaller pieces (I know all about not splitting meds, but it still works), wrap in cheese and put in their food dish. Some little balls have pills and some don't. They're usually so excited for the treat that they don't even chew the treat, so the pill goes right down.

lgerkin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great idea, thank you!

lgerkin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Convenia is a long lasting antibiotic. Giving it twice in a month is super risky. Here's some info: Convenia- long term antibiotic: Is it worth the risk? Some people do say that Convenia has worked for their cat and there were no long term side effects.

Can you ask the vet for an antibiotic that comes in pill form? You can use Pill Pockets or something to get the pill into the cat.

I know that doxycycline is another antibiotic that is usually prescribed as liquid and it can be flavored. I used it in a chicken flavored once and my cat literally would drink the medicine directly from the syringe because it was that tasty. Ask the vet if doxycycline might be an alternative antibiotic to use.
Hi - just a note of thanks for the doxycycline suggestion. I suggested it to my vet and a local compounding pharmacy filled the prescription. He's eating it up in his food, doesn't even notice it's there. Yay!