Help With Fleas!

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Adams flea and tick home spray contains an IGR (Precor / Methoprene). It will kill the adult fleas and also prevent the eggs and larvae from developing into adult fleas. Apply according to the label directions in terms of how and how much.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay these are the exact bottles of spray and shampoo that someone else in this household purchased today from Petsmart.
Purchased ones for dogs as well.
Neither of those have an IGR. Those will provide immediate relief but so will the topical. They will not provide lasting relief and they will not prevent today’s eggs and larvae from becoming tomorrow’s sexually mature adults.

Precor 2000 and Siphotrol are examples of premise sprays with an IGR. Or just check the labels for methoprene or pyriproxyfen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beebster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just gave Fluffy a dose of Advantage 2
Wish us luck! I hope she starts feeling better soon, I can tell she's been miserable with this

Beebster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just found a flea on my bed sheet. It was still alive, but very slow moving so I'm hoping the combination of Advantage 2 on Fluffy + using Adam's Flea and Tick home spray last night is working.
Fluffy doesn't seem as agitated so far this morning, despite still seeing her kind of knaw at herself near her tail, but it didn't last as long as it normally would with her trying to groom and bite at the fleas.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may see fleas for weeks or months as the adulticide only kills the adults. Adults are only 5% of the infestation. This is why the IGRs are key. The topical has both and it will provide Fluffy protection and relief. As the eggs and larvae become adults, the adulticide and IGR that is being released by her oil glands will kill those adults and prevent them from reaching sexual maturity and replacing the eggs and larvae with new generations.

Regular flea combing and vacuuming will help speed up the process of bringing the immature flea forms to a form that can be killed by the adulticide or the cleaning itself.

Last edited:

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You may see fleas for weeks or months as the adulticide only kills the adults. Adults are only 5% of the infestation. This is why the IGRs are key. The topical has both and it will provide Fluffy protection and relief. As the eggs and larvae become adults, the adulticide and IGR that is being released by her oil glands will kill those adults and prevent them from reaching sexual maturity and replacing the eggs and larvae with new generations.

Regular flea combing and vacuuming will help speed up the process of bringing the immature flea forms to a form that can be killed by the adulticide or the cleaning itself.
The Adams flea and tick home spray that Beebster used contains an IGR.

Beebster Beebster ... Advantage works by disrupting the nervous system of the flea. It doesn't kill them immediately but I pretty quickly stops them from being able to bite. The flea that you saw may have fallen off the cat and it's normal for the flea to appear "disoriented" or slow moving as it is dying from the Advantage. Assuming the Adams home spray was applied appropriately, you should be noticing results very soon. The spray will kill the adult fleas that were in direct contact very quickly and it probably has some residual action which will continue to kill adult fleas for a little while. And very importantly, it will prevent eggs and larvae from becoming adult, biting fleas for several months. However, it's never a bad idea to reapply in 2 weeks to get any fleas that break through, so to speak.

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just my two cents Advantage worked for me when I lived in Florida on my two indoor cats who picked up fleas from the dog, it will work of given time and just keep vacuuming.

Beebster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know I sprayed Adams everywhere I possibly could in my room, but I'll definitely use it again in 2 weeks. Will keep vacuuming today hopefully as yesterday we all slacked off with cleaning since some of us ended up getting sick with a cold. This back and forth weather + my nieces going back to school and bringing home germs certainly doesn't help!

Beebster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Used the flea comb on Fluffy just now and didn't pull out any live fleas like I have before. Either fleas are hiding on areas that she won't let me comb or Advantage has taken care of it so far. Pulled out some flea dirt that's for sure! Haven't seen any live fleas in my room since that slow one yesterday. Maybe a good sign so far, so I'll keep doing what I've been doing.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Live fleas are only 5% of the infestation. Keep flea combing her as long as you are pulling up flea dirt. Flea dirt is the feces of adult fleas and the food of larvae. Remove the flea dirt and you remove the food source of the next generation.

I use a lint roller on the corners of the bed Krista spends the most time on as my progress report. I got a little lazy on the vacuuming. We’re dealing with poop issues at the moment. It was three or four days between vacuuming and my ankles could feel the difference. I also threw out the kitchen mat because I’m always getting eaten in the kitchen (ironically!) I can’t be certain, but I think it has to do with the mat.

If you have clutter, this is a good reason to get rid of it. Or at least wash it and pack it away into a closet. The less surfaces you have, the easier it will be to keep them all clean.

mariegary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My personal experience when dealing with the fleas, "prevention is better than cure". On the spot treatment + vacuuming/cleaning the space.

Use the flea comb (the cheap one and this guide may help) to catch the bad guy and then use the flea spray for final protection. Then add/sprinkle some baking soda to hotspot before start to vaccum all the space and any room if can.

One day if I got the budget, I would like to have the robot Vaccum for the easier cleaning purposes. But I think it is not so effective like the one you utilize your full energy via a normal vacuum.