Help with finding out my cats breed

princesselara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got Princess Elara from the animal shelter and they described her as a tortie but that's all I really know about her. She also looks like she has tabby in her. She is short hair [emoji]128571[/emoji] Her right ear resembles a calico print as well

Last edited by a moderator:

fluffy nebelung

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is a torbie-and-white domestic shorthair. c:

All red cats (Ginger or cream) have tabby markings.
In the case the cat is a tortoiseshell, calico, or bicolor (a color and white), the patches of red will have tabby.

But if there are also tabby markings on the other color patches (Brown or grey), then the cat is considered a torbie (tortoiseshell and tabby) or caliby (calico and tabby).

The difference between tortoiseshell cats and calico cats is determined by how much white spotting (white) is on the cat. If it's only in a few small patches, belly only, or paws only, then it is probably a tortoiseshell-and-white. But if the cat is primarily white with patches of color, it is a calico.

She's very pretty! Thank you so much for adopting her. <3

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

princesselara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! She is about half and half with white vs color fur. She has white on her toes, underbelly, and under her chin

fluffy nebelung

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is still considered a torbie-and-white, because while she has a white underbelly, she is not necessarily primarily white. c:

Additionally, a calico's color patches are usually more separated from one another. They don't exactly appear to blend into one another, like a tortoiseshell's does.
Your kitty has patches of orange that blend into the browns on her flank. Calico patches are usually more like  a quilt and aren't typically blended together.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wonder if she is a spotted tabby [re her tabby features. Her tortie features were already discussed by others.]  A couple of good pics of the side.  In this moment, I think she is genetically carrying "broken mackerel" tabby, ie  striped tigrered mackerel tabby.   But there are enough with spots to discriminate, she would be counted as spotted in any description.

EXACTLY what it is counts really just for some breeder pursuing a breeding programme...

I agree calico isnt just the three colors, but also, the colors shall be clearly separated, which makes a difference between a tortie with white, and a calico...

Last edited: