Help With Feeding A 4 Month Old Kitten

scardinal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I have a 4 month old kitten I adopted from a local shelter. She had a viral infection and was on antibiotics until 3 days ago. I was feeding her just wet food while she was sick as she didn’t want anything to do with kibble. However I started to feed her less wet food and more kibble in the last 2 weeks and as she started to have very loose stool. Now I just don’t know what to feed her or what I’m doing wrong... she’s still eating kibble throughout the day and drinking and active but her stool is loose and leaks out at times. I tried a bit of pumpkin too. I’m new to being a cat momma and would love any advice or suggestions! TIA

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she was doing good on the wet food, I would stick with that. Antibiotics can cause an imbalance in the digestive system so it could just be after effects of that. It could be that she also has worms. It could be the food change and something in the kibble is disagreeing with her.

Like I said, I'd start with sticking to the wet food for now. If she wasn't dewormed check with your vet for a deworming treatment. You may be able to just call and get a perscription without a visit depending on your vet. If there isn't improvement in two weeks with that (assuming nothing else gets worse) then check with your vet again. My assumption at that point would be something more going on. If it does get better you can try changing to dry again but if it starts again you'll know it is something in the kibble itself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scardinal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it ok if I give her different flavours of wet food from the same brand? Or should I just stick with one? Thanks so much for your reply!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is it ok if I give her different flavours of wet food from the same brand? Or should I just stick with one? Thanks so much for your reply!
If you were doing different flavors before, stick with those. If just one, stick with that. The biggest thing is minimize the changes so you can narrow down to what specifically is the trigger. Once you get a better idea of specific driver you can start adding in more flavors to see how she handles it. I did that with my guys and learned that shrimp will cause instant problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scardinal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so very much!! Still learning and appreciate advice :)

catman513

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Give her wet kitten food. She needs the nutrition. If you want to, get some high quality kibble, and put it through the blender and mix it with the kitten wet food. She may have an underdeveloped digestive tract.