Help with diarrhea!!!!!

BlenderJuice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!
I am fostering a kitten because no one wants this little fella due to his health :/ He has been having diarrhea for his whole life and I have no idea what to do!!

Aster is a domestic shorthair who was abandoned by his mum along with 4 other siblings.
3 of his siblings passed away and was found to have Tritrichomonas and Giardia. Thankfully, fecal tests showed that Aster does not have those parasites but he is diagnosed with coronavirus.
He is turning 5 months old now but his diarrhea does not seem to improve at all. Visited the vet numerous times but the medication isn't helping at all.

Medical:
Aster is not vaccinated for the time being, due to his health.
On weekly B12 injections at the moment.
Went through 8 days of Metronidazole.
Gave multiple doses of Nutravet Nutraflora (Probiotic) and it does not seem to help.
Dewormed.
Current diet: mixture of Hill's Prescription Diet i/d and Royal Canin Kitten Gravy
He is drinking water, definitely not dehydrated.
Is very active when I play with him, does not seem to show any lack of energy
Weighing only at 1600g at 5 months.

His diarrhea gets much worse when i try to include kibbles into the diet.

I have no idea what to do anymore, please help....

Attachments

Felix19+

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
think above trying different foods good idea - have you tried Royal Canon biscuits for sensitive stomachs

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be severe allergies, especially if kibble makes it worse, it could be grains. You could try a grain-free kibble, there are many out there now, kibble is usually a cause for constipation in most cats. I would definitely try him on a food for allergies or sensitive stomachs it may help. Make sure he is getting NO cow's milk products that can cause severe diarrhea. Goats milk is OK, he needs some high calorie kitten food too if at all possible, maybe kitten milk. You might have his feces tested for different parasites, just in case, something that may have been missed the first time. Any time you switch foods, give probiotics, etc, it has to be introduced very slowly over weeks and continues for at least a month to see if it helps. Bless you for trying to help him!

Felix19+

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
please let us know how you get on - ps what a gorgeous kitty you have - don't give up xx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlenderJuice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It may be severe allergies, especially if kibble makes it worse, it could be grains.
And I’d also try a grain free, limited ingredient diet.
Thank you, I have no certainty over this so I removed kibbles for the time being just to be safe.

have you tried Royal Canon biscuits for sensitive stomachs
I can't seem to find that in my country. Is that a treat?

please let us know how you get on - ps what a gorgeous kitty you have - don't give up xx
I will try my best :( I really hope he survives into adulthood.

Thank you all for the wonderful comments. I just started incorporating S Boulardii (probiotic) into his diet to see if things improve, as recommended by the vet. He somehow gained 80g over one night (I dont know how it happened) after maintaining at 1600g for 7 days straight.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would switch him to a raw food diet. You can get more info in the raw food forum. Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food
If you're in instagram, look up Charlie's Army and follow the story of Sunflower. She has had diarrhea for a month since coming into rescue and with a switch to raw she has now has firm poops.

Felix19+

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I have no certainty over this so I removed kibbles for the time being just to be safe.

I can't seem to find that in my country. Is that a treat?

I will try my best :( I really hope he survives into adulthood.

Thank you all for the wonderful comments. I just started incorporating S Boulardii (probiotic) into his diet to see if things improve, as recommended by the vet. He somehow gained 80g over one night (I dont know how it happened) after maintaining at 1600g for 7 days straight.
sounds very promising - royal canin gastrointestinal is dry biscuits food (not treats) but may not be available where u r - I'm from uk

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
You can always add some purée pumpkin to his meals. It can help him become more "regular" with his poops.