Help with description please!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A friend that rescues has a feral mom that recently gave birth to two males and a female. They have been sexed by a vet.

This is mom and the baby girl:

These are the two boys:

The vet was very surprised to find these two boys were... boys, because of the red in their faces. When they're nursing, you can't tell them apart from their sister.

Are they brown mackerel tabbies? But the seeming red... ????

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't ID them, but wanted to say how utterly adorable they are.  Their markings and color are fantastic.

I can haz kitten now? 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eee! So cute!

I don't think their coloring is true red, just a reddish brown. Like how some tabby cats have on their noses and legs. It would be really cool if they kept that contrast as they got older. . .:D.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's what the rescuer has been told, though the vet (who may know nothing about colors!) seems to think it's "red." :dk:

I know the multi colors are insanely rare in male cats. I was hoping the pics were good enough for a breeder with knowledge of the possibilities/probabilities might chime in.

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Want, want, want both boys!  LOL

No idea what they are but OMG how adorable they all are.  Momma is a beautiful kitty too.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
boy that is a tough one.     I can't rule out that they are brown mackerel torbies   -- which of course = tortie + tabby,  and tortie is very unusual in males  -- but it does happen.

My first thought was  "rufusing"    -- something where brown or blue tabbies can have a sort of rusty reddish color on them, but it is not from the red gene, it is "rufus polygenes" that just cause them to have some reddish bits.   seems to be especially likely on the nose, and around the rear and upper hind legs.   This is enough red markings and arranged in a way it really does look like a torbie.    I have heard various estimates of the percent of tortoiseshell colored cats (incl torbie and tortie and white aka calico, or torbie and white) who are males,  ranging from around 1 in 1000 to 1 in 3000.     so it's not common but it does happen.   I would wait and see how they turn out in a month or so....   If its like that on the body too ,  I think you can at least call them rare male torbies ...  maybe that will stir up interest from adopters.   Hopefully the vet / rescue group knows they would still need to be neutered. Not all male torties/ torbies are infertile, and even the ones who are,  will still have tomcat behavior like spraying and wanting to fight, breed and roam if they are unaltered.  

Very cute kittens!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much!! And this rescue,.Forgotten Feral Cat Rescue ( http://www.forgottenferalcatrescue.com/ ) wouldn't even begin to consider not neutering them, no worries. !! :heart2:

It'll be interesting to see what happens as they get a little older. One thing for sure? Doubt there will be any problem finding furever homes for those boys!

Thanks so much for the insight. :D