Help with color technicalitie!!!

theponds

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two new kittens, rescues from different circumstances. We are just now getting to the fun part of being together as they have been very sick for the last month and a half. Anyway, while waiting for test results my vet and I were talking about their colors. I would describe Rory as a Domestic Short Hair, tabby....I think brown, with white. My vet said Mackeral Tabby and white.
Amelia has almost double the length of hair to Rory so I would guess Domestic Medium Hair? Each of her hairs have individual bands of color, she has no white, and has sort of splashes of light tan and sort of orange including the perfect kiss spot on the top of her head. My vet said she's just sort of dilute. I had no guess as to how to describe her. Does anyone have insight to settle the debate??
Rory sitting, Amelia standing
Amelia top, Rory bottom
Rory
Amelia
Thanks in a advanced! I

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Rory sitting, Amelia standing
Amelia top, Rory bottom
Rory
Amelia
Thanks in a advanced! I
Brown tabby and mackerel tabby, the one says color, the other pattern.  While I agree Rosy is mackerel tabby, I think he is a black tabby...   Although Im no true expert on tabby coloration... So if you insist on brown, I may surrender.   :)

Amelia is diluted tortie, all right.  Ie blue and creme in colors, which seems to be correct. She has no visible tabby markings on her sides nor backside, so I in fact think she is a ticked tabby...  Ticked tabby in pattern, diluted tortie in colors...

If she is medium haired? look at her tail.  Its revealing in unsure cases.  If bushy, she is medium, if not, she is shorthair after all, even if the shorthair may be rather longish to be a shorthair.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

theponds

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the insight!! Rory probably is a black tabby, I think I'm just thrown off by the buff places on his face
but maybe that doesn't mean anything? I took a few pictures from this evening.
Rory
So Amelia would be a ticked tabby, dilute torti. Her tall is much fuller then Rory's , I would say bushy comparing the two. It amazes me the difference in how their coats feel. Rory is very sleek and smooth, while Amelia almost feels like she is covered in down.
Amelia, who just like me, is not a fan of having her picture taken.
To compare their tails, and why I think you might be right as Rory almost looks like he is actually solid black in images.

My vet likes to have very accurate descriptions of coat for tabby patients and in our case the kittens have spent a lot of time there so they didn't want any mix ups. Any other thoughts? I have to try to get id quality images of both for their records as well.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would like to see a good photo of the side,  and the fae too - although I do suppose he has these renown M, that is why you know he is a tabby?

If the second photo is true, ie he has no easily visible markings on the body nor back, he is almost surely a  ticked tabby.

These arent that  common, a little peculiar because its a very strong, dominant gene.   But so is it.  He seems quite dark, so my guess is it will be called for black tabby - black tabbies arent really as black as black cats, its the darkest parts who are black.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I also have a second kitten who I've been told by one person she is a tortie and another she's a tabby if you wouldn't mind sharing your expertise on her as well.
Its two different cats here no? photo nr 1 and 3 of the first kitty, photo nr 2 of your second kitty?

Now when we can see his sides, its possible to discover a mackerel tabby pattern.  Not easily visilbe, but there is.  So he is not the so called ticked tabby, but mackerel tabby.  Still, he is some ticked, probably giving him a silvery shimmer?  Alike on russian blues.

The second kitty is a regular tabby as I can see.  The very warm brown color makes it looks almost red, but its not red, its warm brown.

But if you do discover some real red spot (may be quite small) would make her to a tortoise shell and tabby = torbie.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
baby image
I shall be honest.  Im stuck. Earlier I though I saw the mackerel stripes on his sides.  But I dont see them here...   He may be such a "wild-colored" or ticked tabby, after all.. He has of course also the white on him, which is caused by a different gene, the white spot gene.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are the kittens siblings? biological littermates?  They look quite alike, including, not easily discernable body pattern...

But yes, here in the middle of her head, we have this telling red spot.  So she is a tortie, and thus - torbie.

Anyways, both although very cute, none of them is a clear cut.    :)
ruffled coat to show color is only on tips of hair base is blond.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theponds

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your help! They are actually not related, both rescues from different circumstances from different counties in my state, and the torbie female is a month older then the male. I think he's just going to be a large cat and she's going to be a lovely average sized girl. He has been weighing a pound to a pound and a half heavier then her consistently.