Help with cleaning kitty litter without a vacuum?

christenkae21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had my adopted cat for a little over a week now and she's still scared of her new home to say the least...I have been letting cat litter slowly accumulate on my carpet because it honestly hasn't been that bad and I didn't want to scare her with the vacuum. Well, it's getting to the point where no matter where I go in the safe room (my office) I get cat litter all over me haha. I thought she'd be more comfortable by now but I know the vacuum would still freak her out.

So any tips on how to clean up litter from carpet (low pile carpet) without a vacuum? I can go pick up a broom (don't own one right now because my house is mostly carpet, oops) but I don't think that would be very effective. I also thought about just using a lint roller which will take a while but might work better. Any other ideas? Thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Few cats like the scary vacuum cleaner. Just put the kitten in a room with the door closed and then vacuum away.

Maybe when you bring the kitten to the vet for a check up and vaccinations, you can have a friend or relative do a quick vacuum while you're gone. A small handheld vacuum cleaner tends to be less noisy as a full sized machine so you may want one on hand for quick clean ups around the litter box.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The handheld attachment version of my vacuum is much quieter than the full version, if that's an option for you. I have a cordless Dyson so the full thing isn't always attached. I didn't have a vacuum before I got a cat (hardwood floors) but am very grateful for it. Also, a litter mat underneath the box can be very helpful in trapping some of the litter in that spot instead of all over the floor.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A broom can help a lot even on carpets. The cat I had as a kid violently rejected 3 litter scatter mats so I'd sweep the excess litter every 2 days and vacuum once a week.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would use a litter mat in front of the box, they really help. Also, different litters track differently. I use Scoop Away, a cheaper one at Walmart and it really tracks a lot less. the finer and lighter a litter is, the more it tracks. The worst I ever used was those lightweight ones, they tracked everywhere and would puddle under the cat when they were peeing, getting on their feet, and leaving white cat prints all over the floor! I don't like Arm and Hammer litters either, I can smell act urine as soon as I enter the room when I use them.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat may be frightened of a long handled broom as well. You might want to start with a dust pan and broom. Here is a page of them from Amazon so you'll know what I'm talking about. The advantage from kitty's view is you are totally in control of the broom, sitting/kneeling down, making very small movements with your hands, no long sticks waving around. If you go with this you'll want to get the stiffest bristles you can, like those on a scrub brush. A scrub brush will also work, but it's harder on your wrists.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=small+du...182&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_10&tag=thecatsite