Help With Choosing Gender Of Two New Kittens

beesto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I currently have a 4 year old male and a 5 year old female. They get along well. I'm getting a pair of sibling kittens soon and got the advice that getting 2 boys would be best for peaceful co-existence, however my family has fallen in love with one of the girls in the litter. We have a big house, have watched all the Jackson Galaxy videos and thecatesite articles on introducing cats, and will do our best with all those tips... but how common is it for 3 boys and a girl to get along better than 2 girls and 2 boys. I've been told all the kittens have good personalities... but they're only 6 weeks old and I don't have to make a final decision until they're 10 or 12 weeks so I'm imagining I will know more about their personalities... but if they seem to be similar temperament wise I'm wondering how much I should take into consideration the advice to get two boys? Thank you. .

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I had to choose between two kittens and all I knew, and all I would ever know, was gender I would pick a boy. They tend to be more laid back. But you know more and can check them out in a couple of weeks to see what their personality is like.

When we went for our third kitten, I was looking for a male tuxedo. What we got with Paisley was a female "dilute tabico" with enough spunk and personality for two cats. She has been super affectionate since we first got her and has stood up to her much bigger brothers with no problem. I often say that if I had to pick a cat based on pictures, I would never have picked her. But she is definitely my cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beesto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I had to choose between two kittens and all I knew, and all I would ever know, was gender I would pick a boy. They tend to be more laid back. But you know more and can check them out in a couple of weeks to see what their personality is like.

When we went for our third kitten, I was looking for a male tuxedo. What we got with Paisley was a female "dilute tabico" with enough spunk and personality for two cats. She has been super affectionate since we first got her and has stood up to her much bigger brothers with no problem. I often say that if I had to pick a cat based on pictures, I would never have picked her. But she is definitely my cat.
Great story! That's encouraging. I already heard she keeps up with her two brothers.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've only ever had one cat at a time, so I don't have any experience to share regarding gender matching. But I am a firm believer in paying attention to your gut feelings about a cat, and if your family has fallen in love with the little female, I'd say go for it and get her. Your intuition is probably telling you that she's probably a great cat and a good match for your family.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had several male-male and female-male introductions over the years. It seems the F-M intros took longer, but all of them ended up just fine. Never tried to introduce two females to each other, though. I have two boys and a girl now, and they all get along well. She's the one in charge, though.