Help With Cat Separation Anxiety And Traveling

RaeHorne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay first and foremost, I have two cats. They’re sister cats, they were bonded but I had gotten one first (Millie) and a month later decided to get the other one, (Autumn, or Audi) for short. They were fine in the beginning and then one day Autumn and Millie got into a scuffle and Millie broke her poor foot. The first 6 months Millie was at the vet 3 different times for getting sick, etc. Since then they’ve fallen off and Autumn started having behavioral problems, she had then became an outside cat. She had pooped and peed on EVERYTHING I had owned. I was assuming she was trying to be dominant. Now she is an outdoor cat and she’s totally cool about it, but NOW, Millie has sort of flipped things around. I’m her crutch. She’s so needy and now it’s turned into separation anxiety. Everything has to be perfect for her, wet food at 7, (Sometimes 5, depending on when I need to be at work), and then hard food when I’m home. Sometimes it could be 7, sometimes 9. And I’m off for two days and me and her get to cleaning and cuddles but she stresses when I’m not around. Laying on my dirty laundry, clean laundry, MY PILLOW! I mean everything! The cat is so spoiled she wears a dog T-shirt that says, “I’m spoiled”.

BASICALLY, what I am trying to get at, is that I’m a dog groomer, I work 40 hours sometimes more. Could be 11 hr shifts a day and in July my family and I have decided to go to my grandparents which is a 10 hour drive from me thought I’m sure they could do it since we did drive 12 hours to get to our new home in a new state, but my grandparents have a cat named Oscar and I’m wondering on how to get her and him to adjusted to each other if I need to bring her. My fear is that, she will lose her mind, go into distress if she spent a week at the vets (OR maybe I’m just overthinking it). Since she doesn’t do well with her sister will she be fine with a male cat? Millie now wears a calming collar and gets it replaced every 3-4 weeks. If I have to bring autumn she’s going to have to readjust in a new state outside and i don’t know if I could do that to her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RaeHorne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FORGOT TO ADD, if I’m in the bathroom she wants in. She will MEOW AND TALK UNTIL I LET HER SEE ME!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - and welcome!
Maybe I'm missing something but Millie sounds normal to me, for a cat who loves you and wants to be with you.

Does she have toys, do you play with her? Da Bird is good, does she have scratchers, cat trees? Can you set up you tube squirrel and/or bird webcams, and/or nature documentaries for her to watch?

Beating Boredom - What Indoor Cat Owners Need To Know
Harness And Leash Training For Cats

You already have calming products in use, so other than spraying feliway all over the carrier and car (if it works for Millie) I don't know what else to suggest, other than keeping your cat(s) separated from Oscar while you're there - I doubt there's time to do any kind of an integration, but every cat is different.

Traveling With Cats
A Pet Owner's Guide To Pet Sitters
How To Find The Best Boarding Facility For Your Cat
10 Essential Cat Safety Rules You Need To Know

RaeHorne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - and welcome!
Maybe I'm missing something but Millie sounds normal to me, for a cat who loves you and wants to be with you.

Does she have toys, do you play with her? Da Bird is good, does she have scratchers, cat trees? Can you set up you tube squirrel and/or bird webcams, and/or nature documentaries for her to watch?

You already have calming products in use, so other than spraying feliway all over the carrier and car (if it works for Millie) I don't know what else to suggest, other than keeping your cat(s) separated from Oscar while you're there - I doubt there's time to do any kind of an integration, but every cat is different.

Traveling With Cats
—— They ate their way out of a trailer from their last owner and I rescued them at 6 months. She’s just never been like this until maybe after I have here for 6-8 months. Wonder if it’s because I’m always at work :/ I’m going to speak with Millie and autumns vet and hopefully I can get some meds to have Millie sedated most of the time while we are at my grandparents. She does not do well with transitioning at all!!! Autumn doesn’t care for much. Would be afraid to have her outside though cause by the time we’d leave and I haven’t caughten her she’d be stuff with my grandparents for about a year until I could get her back to me ): but thanks for your help! I hate to leave them to stay with the vet but it might be the only option. Just know that Millie would lose her Crap without me around for a week.

RaeHorne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - and welcome!

Traveling With Cats

— and yes, she has toys, a cat scratcher ALL OF IT! had a mouse she plays with that we named fish and she loves him plays hide and seek with it.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! I get half the bed & my 2 boys take up the other half! Everything sounds normal. One cats sleeps by my head & the other sleeps by my feet.

If I was guessing Millie came back smelling weird & stressed Audi out. Audi got a grudge against Millie. Millie's favorite cat bud is gone all day so now she needs all her loving from you.

Who is going to look after Audi while you are gone? Personally I would board Millie or hire a pet sitter. In one week she will not adjust to Oliver & that is a lot of upheaval. Also I would look into getting an automatic feeder that can give her 2 dry food meals a day (one in the afternoon & one at dinner in case you are running late.)

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We hire pet sitters for our cats. She comes over for 30 min each day, checks on food and water, empties the litter boxes and in whatever time remains spends time with the cats, playing or cuddling. It’s not the same as being home but they get important human contact without going someplace strange that smells weird. And our cats are super needy and sleep in bed with us.

RaeHorne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes! I get half the bed & my 2 boys take up the other half! Everything sounds normal. One cats sleeps by my head & the other sleeps by my feet.

If I was guessing Millie came back smelling weird & stressed Audi out. Audi got a grudge against Millie. Millie's favorite cat bud is gone all day so now she needs all her loving from you.

Who is going to look after Audi while you are gone? Personally I would board Millie or hire a pet sitter. In one week she will not adjust to Oliver & that is a lot of upheaval. Also I would look into getting an automatic feeder that can give her 2 dry food meals a day (one in the afternoon & one at dinner in case you are running late.)
— it’s just so hard to trust people nowadays. I have one girl at work I trust to take care of them but it still makes me nervous havin someone else in the house. Millie doesn’t do well with strangers.Thanks for your help!

RaeHorne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We hire pet sitters for our cats. She comes over for 30 min each day, checks on food and water, empties the litter boxes and in whatever time remains spends time with the cats, playing or cuddling. It’s not the same as being home but they get important human contact without going someplace strange that smells weird. And our cats are super needy and sleep in bed with us.
Millie would not tolerate it if Autumn was back inside the house again and slept in the same bed. Kinda sucks but every time I try to get them to interact she hisses and growls. Unfortunately.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they both spayed? I assume so. If they are, perhaps after you get back you can try re-introducing them? Our semi-feral comes & goes inside/outside. My boys regard him as a friend. So it is possible. Granted we are talking about 3 neutered males. If you succeed re-introducing them I would suggest trying the vet trips tips other people do (both cats go to the vet together & if needed pure vanilla extract on each cat so they smell alike.)

RaeHorne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are they both spayed? I assume so. If they are, perhaps after you get back you can try re-introducing them? Our semi-feral comes & goes inside/outside. My boys regard him as a friend. So it is possible. Granted we are talking about 3 neutered males. If you succeed re-introducing them I would suggest trying the vet trips tips other people do (both cats go to the vet together & if needed pure vanilla extract on each cat so they smell alike.)

— yes they are both spayed. It’s just sad they can’t be friends. Lately though, my cats been smelling around the garage it has autumns scent all over it.