Help with cat put up for adoption at Petsmart

Ninabob5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, and Happy Mother’s Day!

Two cats that I fostered are currently up for adoption at my local Petsmart. One of the them has a potential adopter, but I am currently on the fence on whether to proceed with it. He is an older man living alone, the kitten is very playful (loves to play with other cats) and active. My concern is that she might do better in a home with other cats or with kids. Also, I am concerned with the fact that he lives on a 3rd floor apartment and he keeps his windows open (in Puerto Rico usually people put up screens in their windows to keep them open, as many houses do not have A/C running all he time). Should I skip him and wait for a more suitable adopter?

The other cats HATES being in a cage at the store; she hisses and won’t come out voluntarily. Her personality has changed. I am worried that she won’t find an adopter due to this (she is a great cat, very loving when she was at our home). Should I take her out and try to find an adopter through other methods?

Thanks in advance for all your help. I’d love to keep them both but I have other fosters I need to adopt out plus my other cats. We also TNR’d the colony they came from. Thanks again!

Carteave007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For the first cat, I would wait for another adopter. there will be more younger people who want the kitty & he can find another cat. It sounds like the cat would do better in a home with other cats, and probably a home where they will have plenty of toys, cat trees space and attention.
For the second cat, it makes me wonder if they are in pain possibly, or if they’re being harassed by another cat. In any case, I’d take the cat back home & monitor her to see if she goes back to normal, or get her to the vet. You can still adopt cats through the internet when they live at your home / fostering them. You just don’t want the cat to change & become like mean permanently cuz then it for sure won’t get adopted.
hope that helps.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
When I worked rescue, it was never first come, first served. I would wait for another adopter if that is possible, in the case of the first kitten. As for the screens, it could potentially be an issue for any cat if the screens are not in good condition and are not securely attached.

The other cat is not responding to the Petsmart set up, so it will work against her. Ironically, she could end up staying there longer as potential adopters pass her by, thinking that she is not a good choice.

Thank you for helping these cats find home and maintaining your interest in them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ninabob5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for replying:thanks:. We are leaning towards waiting for another adopter, she will do better with another cat or with kids to play with.
As for the other cat, we will probably give her a couple more days, if not we’ll pull her from the store and find her a home through Facebook. She’s a sweet cat but being in that cage is not beneficial to her.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First cat: almost all kittens are playful. It therefore kind of sounds like your saying that a solo older person is a bad match for a kitten, which I don't think is right. A lot of times older folks have the most time for a cat, and they often have the life experience to know how to deal with the little imps. Of course, health problems can change things a lot, but in general, I think an older person is a perfectly fine match for a kitten, particularly if they have had cats before and know what they are getting into. The window thing might be a more significant issue.

Second cat: sounds like your spot on, thank you for your hard work on the cat's behalf.

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with ArtNJ completely. The older gentleman may have plenty of time for a kitten and she may be his companion . i have had animals my whole life and considered myself an animal lover however since my kids moved out ,my husband are l have so much more time money and extra love that we need to spend somewhere. Before, our lives got in a way and sometimes, our animals and us got by with a crumbles ( making living and raising family was priority). Now is a different story we have (thanks to God) no pressing matter and plenty of everything to give. Luckily we have many animals so we can love on them. Point being if we have only one it would probably read and ride a car by now, lol. Don’t disregard older household , with a little guidance (window screen and what not) they may be wonderful cat parents … can be beneficial to all involved.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For future adoptions I want to add my story. I’m disabled & only allowed 1 pet in my apartment. Now in my clingy, hyper & easily stressed cat’s case; it works out great! He gets all my attention, I work to keep him entertained & play with him, I give him 1-4 hours every day outside in his harness on his long leash (I spend the time sitting & reading), most days I push myself to give him a 10-20 minute short walk, on rainy or I’m to sick days, I pull out his special rainy day toys & he sees Nana’s 4 cats almost every weekend (including his brother/bfff.) That is right, I care enough to sleep on the couch 1-2 nights a week so he can get his brother time! Nana’s house is his second home. The last 5 months I have been spending an extra 50$-100$ I don’t really have to try to get him the wet food he likes due to transportation issues & Im in SSI. I buy his stuff first and he is a very spoiled kitty.

So maybe give seniors or disabled potential adopters a second glance. My apartment building and condos are full of seniors and disabled people; most have pets.

Jackie (lynxpoint) & his brother Nick (house panther.)
3DCC122E-363C-40C5-9868-DE2FFF31D7AE.jpeg