Help with cat constipation

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. My cat Charlie seems to be constipated. Little bits he is dropping are extremely firm. He seems to be straining to move his bowels. He does not eat pumpkin. Before scheduling a vet appointment (will be the 3rd appointment in one week) are there any home remedies to try first?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Try Miralax. 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. to start with, maybe for a couple of days. What is going on that Charlie has been in the vet's so much?
Stomaitis flareup. He got a Depo Medrol shot last Tuesday. Since he still seems to be uncomfortable, he was taken for an additional shot of the Covenia antibiotic.

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stomaitis flareup. He got a Depo Medrol shot last Tuesday. Since he still seems to be uncomfortable, he was taken for an additional shot of the Covenia antibiotic.

Also, does Miralax cause much discomfort for cats? I know it can for people.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't heard that it does, but it is likely to do that for some cats just as it does for some people. Never read anything on this site about it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I think Miralax is suggested more often than other laxatives, but it is supposed to be gentler than others?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A very low dose of Miralax is safe for cats. I suggest calling the vet and discussing using Miralax and what dose to start with and schedule an appointment within a week just in case. 1/8 teaspoon once a day is low enough. Be sure to dissolve the powder in water first and then mix it into some canned food or other moist food your cat likes, like canned tuna.

Some medicines can cause constipation.

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't heard that it does, but it is likely to do that for some cats just as it does for some people. Never read anything on this site about it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I think Miralax is suggested more often than other laxatives, but it is supposed to be gentler than others?
Is that once a day? Or once every 12 hours. Had 1/8 tsp 2 times in the past 24 hours. And just produced a few small parts.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is that once a day? Or once every 12 hours......

Hi Michele.

Here's a fulsome, though concise coverage of Miralax from a reliable source: felineconstipation.org - Osmotic Laxatives

And, from the bottom there (pun not intentional :lol:), there's this
Remember, increasing Miralax or Lactulose increases the amount of water in the bowel/stool. If the stool is too soft, reduce the amount of laxative. Osmotic laxatives are dose-to-effect drugs and, unlike most medications, we can monitor the effects in the litter box.​
So, twice a day is fine, and increasing to 1/4tsp seems reasonable considering the results you had - you may need to reduce back to 1/8 or less once the backlog has cleared. (Every cat is different - my two very senior guys get almost 1/4tsp once a day for purrfect deposits.)

That site is a superb resource to gain a fuller understanding of what's going on inside there.....I'm sure you can find your way around from that link.

Do make sure to update your Vet with all that's going on!

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also remember that Miralax is only incorporated into stool as it's forming, not stool that is already sitting in the colon, so it will still be hard until the old stool has all been passed. If he strains and is unable to go at all, he does need an enema from the vet because that will only get worse. But, I also understand the delicate balance of trying not create more stress in an already stressed-out cat (which may have been the trigger for this episode) and trying to avoid the vet.

I also recommend feeding wet food, encouraging drinking with cat fountains/faucets, play time and exercise if he likes that to get him moving, and, what worked for my cat was adding probiotics to every meal. Any good acidophilus-based probiotic will do (you can use human brands as long as they come in a cat-digestible powder or capsule).

I hope his issues resolve soon, but constipation does occasionally escalate into dangerous territory. Call your vet right away if you notice any of the following symptoms:
  • Refusal to eat or drink
  • Lethargy
  • Fever
  • No bowel movements at all in 3-4 days
  • Vomiting after straining

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really want to thank everyone. As of this evening, about a half hour ago Charlie's backlog is a thing of the past. No more Mirilax now. And quite hopefully no more needed again. I was really getting concerned and was not aware of Mirilax before this. Charlie says thank you. :bluecat: :redheartpump: