Help with cat climbing on televisions

charlottetommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I have a very energetic 6 month old tabby who will not stop climbing on top of the televisions. I am extremely worried as the televisions become extremely unbalanced when he jumps onto them, and I feel he is going to end up squashed. I have tried rewarding him when he comes down, removing him straight away etc. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced and if you have any advice!!

Thanks, Charlotte

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Depending on where your television is you might investigate anchor straps or other implements to secure it to the wall, the entertainment unit, the stand that holds it (and possibly replacing or securing the stand.) A lot of this kind of product is found under earthquake bracing and securing.

How to keep your TV from falling over
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001132UEE/?tag=thecatsite

There are a lot of videos online and other suggestions for securing TVs if you keep googling. Some depend on the style of the TV. All of our TVs are bolted to some very heavy piece of furniture which cannot tip in the manner described by the QuakeHOLD products.

As for deterring the kitten from the TV, that is also a good idea. You don't want him going behind and chewing wires, etc.

Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips – TheCatSite Articles

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Since your tabby is only 6 mo. old it's not surprising he is very energetic. The more interactive play you have with him the more it will tire him out. In addition to the Articles mentioned above you may find some helpful information about how to set healthy boundaries for your kitten here: How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat – TheCatSite Articles
Best of luck and please feel free to post a pic of your new boy. :kitty:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are maybe three training approaches for cats going on things they shouldn't (like kitchen counters), of which I've used two: (1) remove, as many times as it takes. May work, eventually, if you are consistent; (2) some type of gentle negative conditioning, like a loud "no" or clapping; or (3) putting something cats dont like going on on the surface. Dunno if (3) would work for a tv, but the other approaches can be tried.

I certainly wouldn't reward the cat for getting down. That is likely to have the opposite effect of what you are hoping for.

And yes, if its a regular thing and the tv is wobbling, it would be prudent to secure it somehow.

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In the early 2000-2005 time frame, when we migrated from large warm computer monitors with cathode ray tubes to thin screens, it was exciting for a while. Really good cats would jump up over the front of the monitor expecting to find a warm platform that just was not there.

Some of us made boxes that fit behind our monitors, so that our cats could sit above them and watch us type. Some put a towel or cat bed on top of the box. Sure beat having them lay on the keyboard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charlottetommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
a cat tree thats taller than the tv i had an issue with graycie jumpimg onto the wall mounted ac unit ever since we got the tall cat tree she hasnt jumped onto the ac that i know of or about when she is home alone i wouldnt put it past her to be up there
That's a great tip, thanks! We have a cat tree but it's not taller than the televisions!

charlottetommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Since your tabby is only 6 mo. old it's not surprising he is very energetic. The more interactive play you have with him the more it will tire him out. In addition to the Articles mentioned above you may find some helpful information about how to set healthy boundaries for your kitten here: How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat – TheCatSite Articles
Best of luck and please feel free to post a pic of your new boy. :kitty:
Yes he's an extremely energetic little guy, and it doesn't help that he is indoors only - where we live is not safe for him to be outside. The link you included is very helpful, thanks so much! I included a couple of pics :)

Attachments

charlottetommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Depending on where your television is you might investigate anchor straps or other implements to secure it to the wall, the entertainment unit, the stand that holds it (and possibly replacing or securing the stand.) A lot of this kind of product is found under earthquake bracing and securing.

How to keep your TV from falling over
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001132UEE/?tag=thecatsite

There are a lot of videos online and other suggestions for securing TVs if you keep googling. Some depend on the style of the TV. All of our TVs are bolted to some very heavy piece of furniture which cannot tip in the manner described by the QuakeHOLD products.

As for deterring the kitten from the TV, that is also a good idea. You don't want him going behind and chewing wires, etc.

Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips – TheCatSite Articles
Yes I will definitely look into some restraints and work on deterrence. Thankyou!

charlottetommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are maybe three training approaches for cats going on things they shouldn't (like kitchen counters), of which I've used two: (1) remove, as many times as it takes. May work, eventually, if you are consistent; (2) some type of gentle negative conditioning, like a loud "no" or clapping; or (3) putting something cats dont like going on on the surface. Dunno if (3) would work for a tv, but the other approaches can be tried.

I certainly wouldn't reward the cat for getting down. That is likely to have the opposite effect of what you are hoping for.

And yes, if its a regular thing and the tv is wobbling, it would be prudent to secure it somehow.
I have been removing him each time and making a noise he is not fond of. I've also tried foil around the tv however this did not stop him. I may try vinegar around the cabinets. Thankyou so much for your reply!