Help With C-section Cat And Her Kittens

Trish96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Long story ahead.

First of all, P (the cat) is not mine, she's my brother's who is away atm. It's only been 3 days since I moved back to my home country (I was 14 hours away by flight before) so you can imagine the stress/jetlag. I only got to know she's pregnant the day before she went into labour as well so honestly I wasn't expecting she was anywhere near to giving birth. But due to my jetlag, I woke up early and I heard her meow once from my brother's room and went to check on her. I saw something hanging out from her back, sort of like a yellowish/greenish tinged sac and started to suspect she's in labour. The day before, she was really affectionate and kept wanting to be petted. As I was away for a long time (3 years, with some months visiting home) not sure if that's her normal behaviour or an indication that she's going into labour. So honestly by that time I was panicking inside, I was not her owner and really wasn't prepared to help her in any way. I had cats before, but only males. I had taken care of a queen and her litter before for someone but she had a normal delivery so was able to take care of her own kittens. Never witnessed a birth myself. I knew usually cats don't have problems delivering but somehow that day I felt that something was wrong.

Due to the weird substance (that sac) coming out, I was quite concerned. I went to look for a box for her to nest in and she kept making trips between the box and the litter box. After 2 hours, I saw legs coming out and then halfway of the body but it got stuck. I didn't know what to do, but P was strangely calm, she's always been a quite cat and she acted as if nothing was going on because she kept walking everywhere and even asking to be petted. After reading online, it said I was supposed to help pull the kitten out but I wasn't brave enough to do it so I decided to call the vet and they asked me to bring the cat to them. Bear in mind that I live in a small town, where we only have 3 vets (and that's only a recent development!) where one closest to me was closed that day and the vet in charged of the other clinic only came in like 2 hours later. Also I didn't have a car and no driving license so I had to call someone to help me. So I had to bring it to the only vet open. They tried pulling the kitten out (and it was a difficult process since the kitten was really stuck) so they told me just to wait outside and they'll wait if the mom will push it by herself. I was called back in a few mins later and the kitten was out but after over 1 hour, it was already dead.

The vet gave her an anaesthetic which ended up being a problem after that because she did not wake up fully and did not have enough strength to deliver on her own the rest of the kittens. At that time, the vet said to bring her home and just wait. I was worried as she's bleeding and I knew that I would not be able to provide the appropriate care and support for her to give birth so I went to the '2 hours later' vet (it was a one hour wait by then). The vet was not in yet but the staffs said they would keep an eye on the cat. I had to go home but kept calling the clinic to check on her progress and then later finally the vet called me and said that it would be wise to proceed with a c-section. I called my brother to make sure he agreed with that. The doctor said that there's a high possibility we would lose her if she didn't undergo surgery due to the fact that she's losing blood and risking infection. And there's no way she's gonna be delivering on her own. The vet also said they will keep her overnight for supervision so honestly at that point, the way he said it seemed like all the kittens were likely to be dead. One thing I regretted was not getting the cat spayed at the same time, I was panicking the whole time and forgot to mention it to my brother, and now she would have to go through the same process in the future :(

I went back home and cried to sleep. But then I woke up to phone ringing, it was the vet and he said to take back P today because she had 3 kittens and they needed to be fed overnight and there won't be anyone to supervise that. I went and get her and the kittens, the vet said to separate them for a while to feed the kittens and so that the mom was not disturbed because she did get mad when the kitten latched onto her probably due to the pain. This is probably amother mistake of mine, I should have put the kittens still within P's sight (they were in a box next to her but she could not see them and she was just lying tiredly). I had to feed the kittens in the meanwhile, bought a syringe and goat's milk. It took time, honestly feeding might be the most stressful thing I've done yet but slowly, we (my mom and I) managed to get them to drink some milk. The vet said to feed them every 2-3 hours and the kittens seemed to be feeding better every time. And I burped them afterwards. I kept them in a huge box with towels lined in it and there's some handkerchief blankets. Added a warm water bottle wrapped in a sock after that and my stuffed panda (adult cat size) which seemed to work in making the kittens sleep peacefully. Tried to help the kittens urinate/defecate as well. We are touching them using gloves btw.

P is disinterested in her kittens which might be due to my mistake or from what I read, c-section cats sometimes reject their kittens. At times she shows interest and curiousity but hiss at the kittens whenever they are near. But overall, P is recovering well, she has eaten and drank, gave her meds and she has also urinated and pooped. Still very affectionate but sometimes gets very jumpy from sudden movements. There's also the male cat (which I had separated from her since labour time) inside another room that I had to constantly checked upon so that he won't feel neglected. I really can't wait for my brother to return as I have been feeling completely overwhelmed by the sudden responsibilities and so afraid of messing things up. I feel guilty for a lot of decisions I had to make as I didn't know if that's the best for them. Thank google honestly otherwise I wouldn't know what to do and I still have a lot of questions:

1) When will be good to spay P as she just had a c-section? Can we spay the male cat first to avoid future breeding as we could not spay P in the meantime.
2) P seems to be recovering well but are there any symptoms I should be on the lookout and be aware of that may need a vet's immediate attention? I will try to get them to a vet as soon as possible for a follow up check but today I'm beat and sleep deprived. Have been waking up constantly to feed the kittens and check up on the other cats.
3) I got the kittens to urinate and one of them pooped today. What should I look out for like colours of the urine/poop etc? Is it okay if one the kitten hasn't pooped yet?
4) I didn't have a scale to weigh them so has been feeding them 3-4 ml per feeding each and based on their demand. Not sure if this is enough. And is it appropriate to use a luggage scale?
5) Do I need to wipe them with a damp cloth to clean them as their mother would not do so?
6) P has not been breastfeeding at all. I would love if she would gain interest in her kittens but I'm not too hopeful at the moment. She doesn't mind their smells anymore but still hiss at them. I've been trying to get her to smell them and to rub her smell on the kittens. Not sure if you have any advice I could try to get P to accept them. Otherwise when I bring them to the vet, I'll bring up the issue that she won't nurse them. This is her first litter and she's also a young mother.
7) Should I try extracting P's milk? I am afraid if she will react violently but she has allowed me to touch her stomach.
7) So far the kittens seem well, has been moving around, responsive and feeding well. How do I detect if there's problems with them? I could tell if they are crying out of hunger because it's like a clockwork but not sure if there are other issues.

Will try to upload a picture of them later. Any advice you think I should know will be appreciated. Thank you.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, a scale is your friend. They shall add minimum 6g every day, but 10+ is better.
How much do they weigh? Knowing the actual weigh helps to count roughly how much they shall have. The rule of thumb is 8 ml goats milk or kmr / 30 grammes.
So a kitten of 90 grammes shall have 3x8; roughly 25 ml a day, given around the clock. If they want more, give more. Typically every 2 hours. (labels on the kmr packages have if often too seldom).

Collecting milk from momma is difficult, unless its flowing. But you can press out some with a little sponge, and let the kittens suck on the sponge. This way they will always get some immunologic properties from her.

If you can find raw goats milk, its good. It too comes from an alive momma.
Some of the kmr products of PetAg contain colostrum. There is also colostrum in powder.

In their first poop, its often black. Its the so called tar, its what they had in intestines during the pregnancy.

If you deem they begin to be constipated, you can blend in a drop or two of some nice coldpressed food oil. Olive, canola or cocoa.

You want to spay her. Sometimes they spay during the cesarean if its not a breeder queen. Look into the papers or ask, it may be already done.

Otherwise? If she isnt nursing, you can spay anytime, essentially. Even if its no fun for her whom was cesarean recently.

If she begin to nurse again, you typically spay when they kittens becomes weaned, say at 8 weeks.

Most mommas can and do nurse their childs very soon after the surgery, many the same day. Its possible she hasnt much milk.

ARE they by any way premature? If so, you must be double careful. The margins are thinner than otherwise.

Yes, its wise spay the tom if he isnt used more for breeding. As soon you can manage it.
He shouldnt be no real danger for the kittens, but he may make the momma pregnant again. He will be fertile at least two weeks more after the neutering, theoretically even longer.

I dont know what scale you have. If its accurate enough for measuring kittens, you see on gram near, you can use it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Trish96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ

Thanks for the reply. It’s a luggage scale where you have to hook the luggage onto the scale to weigh it. I’ll try to see if it works. It does measure in grams if I remembered correctly. But I will have to put the kittens inside something to weigh them.

I am unsure if they are premature. The vet wasn’t very helpful in explaining anything that I should know and as this is my first time, I didn’t know what question to ask until I realised I needed to know them. But the first kitten that was stuck was not fully developed. The kittens have claws, whiskers, covered by fur, can raise their head and also crawl, very active. What kind of precautions should I take with premature babies?

I included pictures of them in this post. We just cleaned them a bit because one of them pooped in the box and things got messy.

Mom let me touch her nipple but yeah it’s not really possible to collect the milk. She has started to be more open towards the kittens so hopefully we have good news in the nearest future. I’m okay if we still have to hand feed the kittens but having the mom helps with cleaning, keeping warm etc would be a lot more easier.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They seem somewhat premature, not much fur on legs, a little thin. Yet they arent too early, they should have a good chance, more than 50%.

Be sure they dont get chilled out. An IR lamp is good, this way they wont get chilled when you feed them, or handle them.

Otherwise common heating pads will do, perhaps socks with rice which you nuke in micro.

Also, good you have slightly higher humidity. Prematures has often lungs not fully developed.

I see both visible are almost surely points, if not white.

Trish96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ

Bad news. One of the kittens died overnight, it was really weak, shallow breathing and it might be fks? In the first place, it was also sort of the runt of the litter. Tried heating it up but to no avail. I felt depressed...feeling like I killed it due to my inexperience and not knowing how to help it. I saw earlier that it was quieter than the rest and voiced my concern but people reassured me it was just sleeping. I could have helped it earlier had I trusted my instincts...We don’t have emergency vet here, no 24/7 clinic. It was really hopeless and painful. Can’t help but wonder if it would have survived far longer it I had just let it sleep without trying to attempt to help it.

The good news is that the mother started showing interest in her kittens right away after the one passed, although this is extremely sad because it was right after the death of that kitty. Is there any correlation between the death and the sudden interest? It took time and we had to help her lay into position and direct the kittens to nurse from her. We don’t actually know if there’s milk but the kittens are quiet. I guess the only way to know if they are fed enough is by weighing them? Will definitely go to the vet tomorrow. I can’t cope after seeing two kitty deaths...my brother should definitely get them spayed after this.

Regarding the situation right now, do I still need to keep the kittens warm or can the mom do that? I put a hot water bottle nearby for now.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Many vets dont know much about care of weak kittens. So an expeeienced rescuer or a friendly forum like ours are often the best bet for an concerned owner.

Yet a friendly knowing and helpsome vet can be the difference.
If there is a clear diagnosis even a so so vet is usually good.

Will try to write more tomorrow.

gsholup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Trish, you are doing an amazing job caring for those little ones!! It's so hard to know what to do sometimes but we just do our best. My mama cat just had a litter with only one survivor, who was very weak like your little one was. I did take it to the vet about 7 hours after it was born and it still didn't make it. Sometimes they just aren't strong enough. Even if you had taken ir to the vet, it sadly may not have made a difference. You are doing your best and they are so lucky to have you!

Trish96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need help with the momma. She’s panting with her tongue hanging out like a dog. My brother said she usually has that reaction to medication. So I’m not sure if I should stop giving her meds (painkillers and antibiotics) or just continue?

Trish96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven’t updated in a while. The momma and her kittens are doing well. She’s been taking care of them and they are sleeping contentedly most of the time.

Trish96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you made arrangements to neuter the father yet?
I have brought it up to my brother, like I said they are his cats. Not sure when he will do it. They are separated as of now and will continue to do so until the male cat is neutered.

Trish96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cat is neutered already. But right now I’m in a situation again, my cousin found two newborn kittens in a drain near his house. He left it for quite a while to see if the mother was coming back but nope. So he brought them to my home because he knew I had been caring for newborn kittens recently. I was hesitant to get into the situation again since they were already so weak, and the mom might have left them because she sensed something wrong. But the kittens had not been fed since birth and were so cold that it’s impossible to not try help then. One died due to being so weak and small, I already recognised the symptoms from previous experience so it wasn’t so hard for me to accept it.

But now there’s another kitten, I’m feeding it goat milk but it barely ate, only 1ml per feeding so I’ve been increasing the frequency of the feeding. When I first handled it I noticed it had poop stucked and wasn’t urinating. Today, we managed to get it to poop and urinate but now it has another poop incoming and it’s not coming out fully. So probably constipation problem? How to deal with that? I don’t have canned pumpkin available anywhere. My sis brought it to a vet and he said it’s fine and just to let it drink more. Also how do I stimulate it’s appetite to drink more milk?

Trish96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Updates for the two kittens from my brother’s cat. They are doing really well. I am amazed by how big they are now. I feel happy to see at least those two kittens are doing fine.

Oh, I also tried putting the new kitten with the mother cat, she didn’t really mind it but wasn’t particularly interested either. When she was nursing her kittens, I tried putting the newborn at her nipple but it wasn’t a success. The kitten is not suckling at all so it was impossible to have it to latch onto a nipple.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
smear sweet water with honey on its lips and gum.
Gives. Energhy.

Feed every hour as he takes just a little every time.

Flavorless pedialytte could be good...

A drop of coldpressed olive oil with each feeding against constipation.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your brother's male cat was neutered? That's great. Be sure to keep him away from the mom for now. He will be fertile for up to a month.

Keep feeding the orphan kitten around the clock, every hour for now. Are you keeping the kitten warm?

Trish96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, the male cat is separated for the time being.

Just finished feeding it, successfully coaxed it to poop so that’s a bit of a relief.

I don’t have honey atm so have to get some tomorrow as it’s midnight here.

I put a hot water bottle with it (covered with a sock) and a blanket. It doesn’t cry as much as my bro’s kittens so it’s hard to tell if it’s just comfortable or weak.

Thanks for all the advices, really appreciate them.

Trish96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, forget about not passing stool now it just cannot stop pooping. Firm, long stool and neverending tbh. Should I continue stimulating it? I don’t want to overhandle or cause discomfort to it.

The colour is really dark brown but it’s not runny. I’m really confused on what to do atm. Is it because of the milk? Should I dilute it more? Or try to find KMR?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he has been constipated and it's all coming out now. Keep stimulating until he is done.

Are you diluting the milk per the directions on the can? Are you feeding the powdered or canned?