Help With Breed Before I Purchase

Buhnanners

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, these are pictures of 2 different kittens. I found them on Craigslist. The owner is saying they're "Ragcoons" Rag doll, Coon mixes. They're adorable, and I'm planning on meeting up tomorrow. Curious what y'all think? I love kitties, but I really don't want to waste $350 on basic kittens, especially if they're not what she says. I figured the fur would be longer if it's a Ragdoll, Coon mix. I mean, I guess it's possible his fur could get longer but every Maine coon kitten I've come across is a fluffball. Help please?

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I could believe that they are Ragdoll x Maine Coon, if they had longhair, as both Ragdolls and Maine Coons are longhairs. I'd think these might even end up as shorthairs- because they have some "kitten fluff" now. Technically, without papers, any kitten would be considered a Domestic Short/Medium/Longhair. So, if you really want a cat of a certain breed, you need to get one from a reputable breeder, but those will be more expensive, around $800 for a pet. Or you can adopt from a shelter. There are even some purebred rescues! :)

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't see Maine Coon. Ragdoll maybe. I'm a Maine Coon lover and know more about them. They may be Ragdoll dominant but, I just don't see Maine Coon. They are pretty though! Beautiful eyes! Honestly! For $350 I wouldn't be to picky. You be hard pressed to find a Maine Coon for less than $1000 from a reputable breeder. I'm looking at breeders now and $1200 to $1800 is the going rate. I don't know about Ragdolls. I'm sure they're a little less. For $350 I would hope that includes a vet check up and shots though. You can get a rescue for less with shots and fixed. I would focus more on temperament if I was you. If they crawl up on your lap, don't seem aggressive and you can pick them up and hold them while standing, they'll probably be good cats. I don't see them being really big cats if that's what your looking for. Hard to really tell from a pic but I don't see characteristics of a big cat there. The pic I posted is a pic from a breeder I'm thinking about buying from. Maine Coon breeder. Look at those paws! Hope this helps!

9605243_orig.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Buhnanners

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't see Maine Coon. Ragdoll maybe. I'm a Maine Coon lover and know more about them. They may be Ragdoll dominant but, I just don't see Maine Coon. They are pretty though! Beautiful eyes! Honestly! For $350 I wouldn't be to picky. You be hard pressed to find a Maine Coon for less than $1000 from a reputable breeder. I'm looking at breeders now and $1200 to $1800 is the going rate. I don't know about Ragdolls. I'm sure they're a little less. For $350 I would hope that includes a vet check up and shots though. You can get a rescue for less with shots and fixed. I would focus more on temperament if I was you. If they crawl up on your lap, don't seem aggressive and you can pick them up and hold them while standing, they'll probably be good cats. I don't see them being really big cats if that's what your looking for. Hard to really tell from a pic but I don't see characteristics of a big cat there. The pic I posted is a pic from a breeder I'm thinking about buying from. Maine Coon breeder. Look at those paws! Hope this helps!

View attachment 197354
Yes, Thanks! Figured since it didn't have any fluff it wasn't. I really want a coon. I'd get a pure breed in a heartbeat, the hubby just refuses to pay that much on a cat. The cheapest I've seen one for so far is $750, it's cute, but it kind of looks like an elf lol. Idk... I'm being impatient, there's a couple rescues near me with quite a few coon mixes, that actually have coon features but I can't get a hold of them :( I love cats, I would be a crazy cat lady if I could lol. Thanks for the response!!

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, Thanks! Figured since it didn't have any fluff it wasn't. I really want a coon. I'd get a pure breed in a heartbeat, the hubby just refuses to pay that much on a cat. The cheapest I've seen one for so far is $750, it's cute, but it kind of looks like an elf lol. Idk... I'm being impatient, there's a couple rescues near me with quite a few coon mixes, that actually have coon features but I can't get a hold of them :( I love cats, I would be a crazy cat lady if I could lol. Thanks for the response!!
Take your time! It's a big commitment. Make sure you get what your looking for. I can almost guarantee your husband would change his mind once he got a Maine Coon from a good breeder. They're amazing cats. I have a Maine Coon Mix from a rescue I'm working with now. He was abused at some point but he's got a great temperament and has come along way. I want to get one from a breeder at some point but want to give ( Manny ) my rescue a little more time. You can find thoroughbreds sometimes at shelters. Not usually kittens but maybe one to two years old. You may run across a kitten if your lucky but it will be a mix. Another route is getting a retired show/breeder from a breeder. Usually they are 2 to 3 yrs old and much cheaper but, you can bet they'll be good cats.

A lot of breeders will let you come and tour their cattery and talk to them. Maybe try getting your husband to go take a tour. May open him up to the idea. Good luck in your search! I attached a couple of pics of my rescue. One is when he was at the shelter. Another is here at home but he is shaved in that one so it may be deceiving.
254794743.jpg
IMG_4657.JPG

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you are happy with a somewhat look alike, and are ready to pay 350 dollars, you shall surely find one. If not immediately so soon enough. At a shelter or somewhere else.

These two points kittens are nice enough, and if you want to have a point moggie, they are surely more than adequate.

But dont count on them having near Coon ancestry. Possibly ragodll ancestry because these are points...

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I have to say that I do see some Maine Coon influence in these kittens. Those ears and muzle look enough MC to me as to suspect a grandad or a short haired Maine Coon parent could be found in their family.
Those are beautiful kittens. I am not supposed to support by any means backyard breeders, but if after seeing them in person you fall in love with one of them, then I would say go for It as long as health conditions are ok.
I would ask to see parents, at least mother, so you can know for sure that she is in good conditions and if she is indeed a Ragdoll or a Maine Coon, maybe of pet quality.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very handsome kittens! Not Maine Coon/Ragdoll, though, or they would be longhaired. Maybe mama is a purebred Ragdoll and she met with a different suitor than intended ;).

If they're well socialized and fully vetted, and you can meet the mother and she's friendly, I would say that $350 isn't too outlandish even though they aren't purebred or 2 purebreeds mixed. A good upbringing is valuable. It is a little high, especially in some areas, but a shelter kitten may cost $100 (before spay/neuter) so it's not ridiculous. You pay for what you want.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lots of semi longhaired kittens in shelters. I have seen many with longer fur than these guys. The owner is probably lying about the parentage or partial parentage. Seems a scam to me and I would not encourage the owner to continue it by paying that much for what is likely a regular mix breed cat.