Help With A New Cat

samppa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everybody! I'm new to this website and I think there has been tons of these kind of questions, but couldn't find any which would've answered to the questions I have in mind.

First of all, I'm a new cat owner and so gradually understanding how to be with cats and how to understand their behavior.

My girlfriend and I got our cat two days ago. Since then he's been hindind under the bed, which I know is normal behavior. I did one mistake in the beginning though: I didn't let the cat to be in the small room first, instead I let him find his hiding spot in the living room (which is pretty big in our apartment). Yesterday he discovered the bed in the bed room which he apparelty finds a better hiding place and now spend his whole day there. However, the litter box and the food trays are still in the old place on the living room.

So my question is this: should I move all the essentials to the bed room now and maybe close the door so he gets used to that one room at the time or is that forbidden now as he already has explored the whole house during night? Or should I let the litter box and food be in their old places and then just wait for the night so that he uses them?

Thanks for the help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samppa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just to clarify, I'm asking this because I'm worried about his eating. Now that the food is still in the living room, he eats only at night or when the house is empty because he's too afraid to come to the living room when we are there.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS, hope you find lots of useful information.
If I were in your position I would move food and litter into the bedroom as your cat seems to feel safe there. Everything must be frightening to him at the moment, new home, new people, let him settle and wander at his pace. Spend time in the bedroom talking so he will get used to the sound of your voice.
Let us know how he gets on and post some photos.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samppa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS, hope you find lots of useful information.
If I were in your position I would move food and litter into the bedroom as your cat seems to feel safe there. Everything must be frightening to him at the moment, new home, new people, let him settle and wander at his pace. Spend time in the bedroom talking so he will get used to the sound of your voice.
Let us know how he gets on and post some photos.
Thank you for your reply!

Do you suggest I close the door so that he doesn't have the access to the rest of the apartment anymore? Or should I let him wander, just to have his "base" in the bed room? Isn't he getting scared if he has to spend the night in bed room where we are sleeping as well?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would leave the door open then he has the choice to stay or wander. If he gets nervous during the night then he can go into another room of his choice. It will take a little while for him to get used to his new life but it will happen. He will get used to your voices and the noises around him. Little steps and patience.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
How old is the cat? if it's still a kitten, I'd leave the door close and let her out only when she's supervised. an adult cat I'd leave the door open.

Yes, move the litter box and food into the bedroom for now

Post photos when you can :)