Help With 8 Month Old Pregnant Cat

mooncat89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi so my neighbor neglected to spay and neuter his kittens and now I'm dealing with the consequences because he's isn't home all week. Gotta love neighbors. So he has a boy and girl tuxedo cats and the unthinkable happened I think about over a month and a half ago. She really started plumping up about a month ago. I have never taken care of a pregnant cat and I wanted to know what to expect. Also, she is still really young so I'm really concerned. Please help.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mooncat89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They're basically indoors during the week and out on the weekend. They're on a dry food diet of mostly purina and, eek, meow mix. I have no control over what they eat other than what home made stuff I can give them. I probably won't be giving her any raw since it will stay longer in their system with how dehydrated the heat and dry food naturally makes them but I will look into what I can make for her so she's not eating so much of the junk.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you adopt her? Try feeding her some Kitten Milk Replacement. A saucer or two. per day. She needs the extra fat and protein for the developing kittens and for milk production while nursing her kittens. Good luck!

mooncat89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No but I can definitely baby sit her during the week if checking up on her once a day isn't enough. Currently researching kitten milk replacement.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The KMR is especially important for the calcium it provides nursing mothers. Once she’s nursing, she’ll really need wet food, especially with a large litter.

Catfoster88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am fostering a cat which had babys when she was 8 months old. Her 6 kitten sucked the life out of the mum and all of a sudden in the middle of the night the mum cat nearly died because of lack of calcium. The vet told me later the mum cat shouldn't have had the kitten, that she's too young and her body just can't cope with them kitten sucking all the time. He said the best thing woulda been to to wran the kitten and hand feed them.
The cat survived, the vet after hours cost 524 dollar!! And now she only has 3 kittens to look after.
Just something to think about. :)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, can you talk to your neighbor about switching her food to a kitten food? Kitten food has more nutrients in it, that are helpful for pregnant and nursing moms. Also, feed her some KMR like others have suggested. And, as the previous poster mentioned, cat pregnancies are not always straight-forward. That’s why it’s important to monitor her closely, and know when to take her to the vet, if, heaven forbid, something should happen.

How To Save Your Cat From These 16 Life-threatening Pregnancy Risks

mooncat89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey you guys, so I guess she had the kittens when he came home, about 5 copies. Just found out a week later. So I obviously got her back on KMR but he's not really doing anything food wise, I mean the guy gave them wet pedigree on the weekend. I was thinking about a home made diet. Do you guys know of anything? I have my cat (in the pic) on prey model raw but I'm not too sure about raw for a cat on a dry food diet because of carbs interfering with nutrient intake. I have heard of cooked recipes but that's where im stumped.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your best bet is to supplement the mother cat with wet cat food such as Fancy Feast Classic. The first ingredient is meat in the classics.

mmeyers9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cat got pregnant at 7months, and had 6 babies.

she is small, but breezed thru labor and delivery text book.