Help! What kind of kittens do I have

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Interesting.  The kittens have a persian-lookish  look about them.   Possibly Exotic = which is shorthaired persian.  The exact fur lengh you will see when they got older.

They seems to be coloured as their parents: the whitish one is surely a point, but the point masque isnt a dark one, is fair (creme?) and thus, almost invisible.

The other looks reddish, If he too is a tabby I dont see.

Daddy, although a tabby (red tabby I presume) has apparently much persian blood in him.

Momma, a longhaired point, has no clear cut background, according to me.

BUT. The children are revealing her.  As they have such a clear cut persian looks, the most probable is, she too must have some persian background.   We may then call her for some sort of Himalayan Persian descendent...

Sorry, Im not expert on the colors, Im sure others will fill in.

Good luck!

ps.  Two longhaired parents should give longhaired kittens.  So either they ARE longhaired, and thus "persianish", or the mom is shorthaired after all....   :)

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The red tabby father definitely looks Persian ( old type ) or part Persian. 

The mom  ( who is Red Point or Cream Point,  it's hard to tell which for sure from one unclear photo)    has a sort of Birman look  but clearly she is not a purebred Birman because she doesn't have white feet. 

It is not a close photo and it's blurry,  so it's not very easy to see her features but she does not look Persian like the dad does.  It's  still possible she could have some Himalayan Persian in her as Stefan suspects.

I would call the small kittens  Persian mix.   Of the 2 small kittens,  the on on the left  is Cream and White,   the other is Red and White.  

That older Blue and White shorthair kitten is lovely, too . very different look and clearly has different parents. 

If you don't know their backgrounds and did not do health testing ( for example, genetic testing for PKD,  a kind of kidney disease that many Persians and related breeds have a gene for,  that could make their kittens get sick and die even as young as 4 or 5 years old ) it is not a good idea to be breeding them.   Hopefully these cute kittens will turn out OK.  but I also hope you will have the parents altered now.  

The  mom can be spayed which can be done when the kittens have stopped nursing.   The father could be neutered at any time. but may still be fertile for up to 7 weeks after.   

You need to keep him away from the mother,  or she could get pregnant again  even if still nursing, and pregnancies so close would not be healthy for her or kittens. 

It is best to keep the kittens until at least 10 weeks old,  12-13 wks even better.  and they should have hat at least their first vaccinations and 2 rounds of de-worming  before going to their new homes. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

justina marie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The adult cats are not mine, the owner was kind enough to give me the pics of the parents. the kittens are mine. I just want to make sure i know what they are so I can identify and health problems in the future. Can I do some genetic testing? I am not sure if it is harmful to them.

justina marie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Leo the orange one has longer hair, Minion the beige has fluffy hair.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I do think they look like little Persian mix kitties.    Just adorable. 

Here is a link to a very respected veterinary genetics lab's page about PKD.  so you can decide if you would want to have them tested.  If so,  it has instructions .  You collect he sample yourself with a q tip inside their cheek and then send it to them taped to a form that you print out  

justina marie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
no link was attached

meezermaniac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Dad appears to be a Tabby Persian mix... Mom is most definitely a Flame Point Siamese.

If the Mom had no access to another male besides the Dad to breed with, (litters CAN have more than one Dad), then there's likely a recessive gene passed from the grandparents that accounts for the one dark DSH kitten. I can't see patterns on the other 2 well enough to say whether they're tabby mixes or bicolored Persian... but they're certainly cute!

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Darn it.  let me try that again. http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/pckd1.php

I don't know if I would test  if you are having them altered as hopefully you are.   I'm not sure there's anything you could really do f they DID have it.   so I just hope they don't.   but that is a problem with people getting Persians or Persian mixes from BYBs  or irresponsible pet owners who let them breed.  they do not test and end up passing on this gene .  

It would be good for any cat's kidneys  to keep them on a mostly wet diet,  since cats tend to not drink enough.  They developed to get their water as part of their food.  There have been some studies that found that cats on dry food only get about half as much water as cats on canned food.  The ones fed on dry food of course did drink more, but just did not drink nearly enough to make up for the lack of moisture in the food.  and over time that could be hard on the kidneys. 

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!  Welcome  to TCS.  I like your pretty seal point! 

I hope I won't seem rude to welcome you by disagreeing but it's not meant in any unfriendly way.  We just enjoy discussing cat coats and breeds etc.  and I'm particularly interested in genetics and very particularly interested in Siamese. 

Mom is NOT most definitely a "Flame Point Siamese."  (  actually,  Flame Point is a term in Himalayan Persians , not in Siamese...  sorry I know I'm  nitpicking.  ) .

This mama cat is way too fluffy looking to be a Siamese.  Look at that floofy tail !  That is not a Siamese tail! Siamese tails look narrow because the fur is so short and close-lying.     This mom  looks like she may be a semi-longhair and has a double coat.  It's kind of not in focus so one can't see details but she sure doesn't look Siamese to me  -- besides being pointed which means next to nothing.   

People often mix up the pointed pattern and the Siamese breed and think every pointed cat is a "Siamese"  ( unless it's very obviously something like Himalayan Persian or Ragdoll,  and some people even think they are "Siamese"!) .

But the gene for the pointed pattern has over the past 100+ years been both bred into other breeds and widely spread into the random-bred cat population, due to Siamese cats and their descendants breeding with the local moggies,  and the cs gene getting passed down over many many generations.  So there are now a lot of pointed cats who have hardly any Siamese in them, way way less than 1%,   and many people just mistakenly call  them all "Siamese" as if Siamese is just a pattern name.    

But a  real Siamese does not have a plush or fluffy coat   since they don't have an undercoat.  And they have very short hair.   

Neither the mom nor that (extremely cute ) kitten look like Siamese.     Very pretty looking cats,  but not Siamese cats.  

Re the older Blue and White kitten, there is no recognized way that  a Red Tabby sire and a Red Point dam could have a Blue and White kitten.  No known recessive gene explains that.  It just doesn't work that way

..............unless it's some extremely rare spontaneous mutation ,  in which case  I bet geneticists may be interested !    

( though I have heard of some unusual case where they thought it was a rare genetic anomaly that a black mom had a red kitten -- then it turned out the mom was actually a tortie but only had the other color on one paw pad!   And if a cat is a tortie, she can give either red or "not Red" to a kitten )   . 
The Dad appears to be a Tabby Persian mix... Mom is most definitely a Flame Point Siamese.

If the Mom had no access to another male besides the Dad to breed with, (litters CAN have more than one Dad), then there's likely a recessive gene passed from the grandparents that accounts for the one dark DSH kitten. I can't see patterns on the other 2 well enough to say whether they're tabby mixes or bicolored Persian... but they're certainly cute!

justina marie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The grey and white cat is not part of the same litter or from the same parents. I was just talking about the smaller kittens. I just wanted to know for reference because people ask me and I am like...uhhhh not sure lol. Someone said Turkish Angora and Himalayan mix.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Justina,   yes I was sure that cat could not possibly be from the same parents.  I wasn't saying you said so.    (  That is a cute cat though) . 

These little baby kittens are about the most precious looking things imaginable!     

I would just tell people they are Persian mix.  I would swear that that will be accurate.  The dad looks like probably at least half Persian and may be a purebred Persian of the older type (sometimes nicknamed  dollface Persian) .

The mom , it's not really sure.   If you want to try to say what the rest of the mix is,   just say the kittens are "Persian x Domestic Longhair mix "  

The mom  has the same kind of coat pattern as a Siamese but that doesn't mean recent Siamese ancestors.   

She is not an Angora, they do not come in that  pattern   and that's a pretty rare breed so unless you know for SURE , I wouldn't say she is part TA.  

She doesn't really look strongly Himalayan (which is just a pointed Persian) but she might be partly that.   Or might be partly Birman or Ragdoll.    but it's just hard to tell from the picture.   She looks like she is probably smaller than most Ragdolls.     and there are  a lot of pointed cats that really don't have any large amount of any breed in them.  

So I would just mention the Persian part  or else say Persian x DLH . 
The grey and white cat is not part of the same litter or from the same parents. I was just talking about the smaller kittens. I just wanted to know for reference because people ask me and I am like...uhhhh not sure lol. Someone said Turkish Angora and Himalayan mix.

Last edited:

meezermaniac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
  Mom is NOT most definitely a "Flame Point Siamese."  (  actually,  Flame Point is a term in Himalayan Persians , not in Siamese...  sorry I know I'm  nitpicking.  ) .

This mama cat is way too fluffy looking to be a Siamese.  Look at that floofy tail !  That is not a Siamese tail! Siamese tails look narrow because the fur is so short and close-lying.     This mom  looks like she may be a semi-longhair and has a double coat.  It's kind of not in focus so one can't see details but she sure doesn't look Siamese to me  -- besides being pointed which means next to nothing.   

All valid points, (if you'll pardon the pun!), my friend
  If we're talking CFA approved "show Siamese' - the "Wedge head" kind, all those things are correct - narrow whippy tail, shorthaired, etc. CFA does not recognize flame points in the modern Siamese; flame = colorpointed breeds. On the other hand, the Classic or old style 'Applehead' may sometimes have a fuller tail (my Ming does), and can have the flame point coloring; but so can the Oriental Shorthairs and Longhairs.

I'm by no means an expert at genetics, nor do I play a CFA judge on t.v. 
  but I can tell you, at the Siamese rescue I volunteer at, we have had a wide array of cats that are/were called flame points (mostly male Appleheads)... and that's where I get my bad habits from, LOL!

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree the mother looks like a Birman mix ( most likely not pure bred because she does not have white socks). She could also be a ragdoll mix but she is small for a ragdoll but that does happen. My ragdoll came from a champion line but was the runt and is only 9 pounds. Our Birman breeder actually said he looks more like a Birman but he is a purebred ragdoll with papers.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What kind of kitten do I have??
Domestic shorthair, DSH.   The great majority of all cats are domestics.

The pattenr is tabby with white, or tabby tuxedo if you want.

I dont see clearly the tabby pattern, but it seems its the mackerel / striped.

Sweet kitten!