Help! What breed does my kitten look like!

artistnekochan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
He is a lovely looking boy. 
  It looks like he will have medium long fur and the grey and white markings are very attractive. He has very handsome whisker pads and elf shaped ears like at least one of his siblings! Is his mom a calico / tortoiseshell or tabby calico mix?

Cats are not normally a specific breed like dogs and unless there are documents giving details of a number of generations with a specific pedigree status it is likely your cat will be a domestic long or short hair.  It is not likely that a tom cat that has a pedigree status (stud) was out roaming free to be the dad for your little boy resulting in a close link to any specific breed.    Your little boy having significantly different colouring to his siblings may indicate that he has a different father, which is possible within a single litter of kittens, but I am not an expert on the genetics of cat colouring so someone else would need to advise on this.  However, if his colouring is mostly grey, then whether he has long or short fur the name for this colouring is a Maltese cat.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good explanation above.   @MServant

I think if you want to compare him with a breed, so perhaps somewhat look alike a Norwegian Forest c

Cat, with this triangularish muzzle.  Also, this tuxedo-alike coat is quite common with the NFC.

However, I dont really agree with the Maltese label.   Maltese label is for cats who are whole greys "blue", with at most some small white patch - usually on the breast.   

A russian blue look alike moggy, would be labeled for a Maltese cat. 

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

artistnekochan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His mother is in fact a tortoiseshell of some sort, tabby calico mix is probably right, thankyou so much for the information! I didnt know all that until now, do you really think he will have medium long hair? I hope so because he is lovely and fluffy right now :) Thats intersting how really mixed breed cats are categorised that way, thanks again!

artistnekochan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

His mother is in fact a tortoiseshell of some sort, tabby calico mix is probably right, thankyou so much for the information! I didnt know all that until now, do you really think he will have medium long hair? I hope so because he is lovely and fluffy right now :) Thats intersting how really mixed breed cats are categorised that way, thanks again!
(replying to first answer)

artistnekochan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks! I'll lok up reference picture for the breeds you mentioned, very helpful answer!