Help, weight loss and raised black spots on tongue

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, 

I'm new and I joined because I needed some help with my Cat. His name is Kira, he's an 8 year old half bobcat. The past month he's hardly been eating and tonight I saw raised black spots on his tongue. He used to weight 40 pounds but now he's down to 15. He's not wanting to eat at all, he just sits next to me or hides in the litter box. He doesn't have worms and he's been very healthy up til now. 

I don't know if I can afford a Vet at this time so I was hoping it was just because we changed his food to Iams from his normal 9 Lives. Please any help would be wonderful

- Kami

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Kami, 

Unfortunately this doesn't sound like a food change issue, and you need to get him to a vet ASAP. I understand that finances may be tight but this is really a situation where you need to get creative and find a way, as this is quickly becoming a life threatening situation. 

We have a great link that you should read here: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/155462/cant-afford-a-vet-please-read . It gives a lot of great suggestions on how to get him the care he needs despite the lack of funds. Also, don't be afraid to ask friends and family for some help, or ask the vet if you can set up a payment plan. You can also look into CareCredit, which is essentially insurance for your pets. I believe the article gives more information on it. Otherwise, just Google it. You can even call local shelters and see what vets they use. Oftentimes they know vets who work on a low fee or no fee basis. 

Please, do whatever you have to to get him seen. I know if you put your mind to it you will find a way!

If we can help at all don't hesitate to ask. And please, keep us posted as to what the vet says! 

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't care what state an animal is in...anytime they lose more than half their body weight in a short period of time, something is very wrong.

The raised black spots on the tongue typically indicate some form of infection or immune system response.

No Appetite.
Severe Weight Loss.
Abnormal Behavior.
Visible symptoms.

This is a serious issue, you need to figure out how to get your cat seen by a veterinarian ASAP, if this hasn't cleared up in a month...it is unlikely to clear up on its own. I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, and I wish I could tell you that everything will be fine and you have nothing to worry about. But I can't. You should be very worried, you need to get Kira to a vet ASAP.

Please keep us updated, and lets hope you have caught this in time to save him.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the forum,Kamijo!

All of what you've written really does suggest that Kira needs to be examined, and, the sooner, the better.

Just about the spots on his tongue.......are you able to get one/some pictures of the tongue/mouth area? I'd be very interested in taking a look. Maybe you could take several, so as to show as much of that whole area as possible (maybe from different angles, so as to show the sides of the oral cavity, gum lines, roof of mouth...hope you get my drift) A look at the external 'tip-of-lip' areas could also be helpful.

Maybe borrow a camera, even?

There are many organizations that will assist cats in need of urgent care......we have some listings here, but if I knew which state you are in, that would help narrow the search for you.

Hope that helps for now!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Kamijo.............I've been anxiously waiting for those pictures. It's two days since you asked your question, and we all know that a day in the life of a cat is much more than a 'human day'.

Time is really critical, especially where it's related to weight loss.

Please post back and, at the very least, give us an update. It can be very disturbing for people who want to help and support a new member with a serious issue, if that person just disappears.....you came to the right place, but, now you also need to follow up - for Kira's sake...and, for your own peace of mind.

And, again, affordability of a Vet exam is secondary.....we can do some looking for you. There are lots of people here ready and willing....and waiting.

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you had a chance to get Kira some medical attention?

We'd all love to hear that Kira is starting to do better.