Help! Vet wants to sedate my OA cat for nail trimming

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gosh I’m sorry to hear all of this. Yes it sounds weird on a lot of levels. I used to work for a vet and when you’re used to doing it, nail trims are pretty simple. Especially on cats.
I have a cat only vet and I LOVE her and her staff. I trim kitties nails myself, but I have heard them quote people $12 for a nail trim, and I live in a very high cost of living part of the USA (northeast).
I do have an asthmatic kitty who has been known to turn into a little tiger at the vet, and she gets gabapentin when they need to do extensive stuff like blood pressure (cause it’s the only way to keep her still enough). I wouldn’t let them sedate my cat for a nail trim, definitely not without a 2nd opinion.

When Tessa’s asthma was uncontrolled, she threw up and passed out. It was really scary. This was of course on a Sunday so I took her to the ER. By the time we got her there they said all of her vitals were fine, but they could sedate her and do X-rays, bloodwork, etc. That would have cost me literally thousands. Since they said her vitals were all good, I opted to wait til Monday and take her to her regular vet. She ended up getting much better treatment for far less money and stress on her little body. Sometimes I think the bigger corp vets tend to go overboard.
If you can find a cat only vet I highly recommend trying them. In my experience they just handle cats so much better.
Maybe you could find a tech who does nail trims on the side? When I worked at a vet a lot of my friends and family would pay me like $5 to stop by and trim their cat or dogs nails.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Churru and similar liquid treats are highly motivating for my cats. I was getting worried my tortie would have to be taken to the vet as she didn't want me trimming nails and would even leave where she was relaxed when she heard me ready the clippers. Her dislike was growing over time.

It's been a slow process, but I was able to get a few nails at different times and she's tolerating it now. Some first steps were feeding the churro while grabbing feet and exposing nails; clipping clippers to simulate clipping noise.

I've been thinking of bringing the treats to the vet with me, although my cats have denied treats in the past when stressed so unsure if they'd eat them there.

I've also had some vets tell me they'd need to sedate my cat for certain things, but another vet was able to do it without.
Sheba meatsticks are the only treats Gypsy will eat at the vet or heed when we are outside.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh I’m sorry to hear all of this. Yes it sounds weird on a lot of levels. I used to work for a vet and when you’re used to doing it, nail trims are pretty simple. Especially on cats.
I have a cat only vet and I LOVE her and her staff. I trim kitties nails myself, but I have heard them quote people $12 for a nail trim, and I live in a very high cost of living part of the USA (northeast).
I do have an asthmatic kitty who has been known to turn into a little tiger at the vet, and she gets gabapentin when they need to do extensive stuff like blood pressure (cause it’s the only way to keep her still enough). I wouldn’t let them sedate my cat for a nail trim, definitely not without a 2nd opinion.

When Tessa’s asthma was uncontrolled, she threw up and passed out. It was really scary. This was of course on a Sunday so I took her to the ER. By the time we got her there they said all of her vitals were fine, but they could sedate her and do X-rays, bloodwork, etc. That would have cost me literally thousands. Since they said her vitals were all good, I opted to wait til Monday and take her to her regular vet. She ended up getting much better treatment for far less money and stress on her little body. Sometimes I think the bigger corp vets tend to go overboard.
If you can find a cat only vet I highly recommend trying them. In my experience they just handle cats so much better.
Maybe you could find a tech who does nail trims on the side? When I worked at a vet a lot of my friends and family would pay me like $5 to stop by and trim their cat or dogs nails.
How do you give the Gabapentin? It's so bitter.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How do you give the Gabapentin? It's so bitter.
Oddly, I used to have a little problem getting Izzy to take it( in food) , but she readily eats food with it now. Allergy medicine was a real problem.Smelled very strong and terrible. The minute you opened the bottle she was heading to find a place to hide from you.