Help Understanding Test Results And Best Food For Possible Ckd Kitty

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have a 16 year old tabby. A couple months ago I noticed that she began to drink more water than usual (she always loved water more than my other kitties but she would drink lots... leave and then go back and drink some more) and she also started urinating more than usual. Along with that she was losing lots of weight. She was always on the thin side (around 9lbs) but the last year or so I noticed she lost so much weight. When i weighed her she was 7lbs .0.26oz. When i pet her I can feel every bone and I have been trying to do everything i can to get her to put on some weight but she seems to go up and down in weight extremely fast. So i took her to a vet in March 2018 and they did a blood test and urinalysis. I have a copy of the results if anyone can help me to understand them better i would greatly appreciate it!

Test Requested Results Adult Reference Range Units
Superchem
Total Protein 7.5 5.2-8.8 g/dL
Albumin 3.4 2.5-3.9 g/dL
Globulin 4.1 2.3-5.3 g/dL
A/G Ratio 0.8 0.35-1.5
AST (SGOT) 31 10-100 IU/L
ALT (SGPT) 40 10-100 IU/L
Alk Phosphatase 18 6-102 IU/L
GGT 10 1-10 IU/L
Total Bilirubin 0.1 0.1-0.4 mg/dL
BUN 58 (HIGH) 14-36 mg/dL
Creatinine 2.5 (HIGH) 0.6-2.4 mg/dL

BUN/Creatinine Ratio 23 4-33
Phosphorus 4.0 2.4-8.2 mg/dL
Glucose 137 64-170 mg/dL
Calcium 9.4 8.2-10.8 mg/dL
Magnesium 2.2 1.5-2.5 mEq/L
Sodium 156 145-158 mEq/L
Potassium 4.9 3.4-5.6 mEq/L
NA/K Ratio 32 32-41
Chloride 120 104-128 mEq/L
Cholesterol 126 75-220 mg/dL
Triglyceride 95 25-160 mg/dL
Amylase 1,071 100-1200 IU/L
PrecisionPSL 37 (HIGH) 8-26 U/L
PresisionPSL elevations correlate closely with abnormal PLI concentrations. In cats with appropriate clinical signs, this PrecisionPSL is supportive of, but not definitive, for a diagnosis of pancreatitis. In cats without clinical signs of pancreatitis, a mild elevation is an insignificant finding.

CPK 258 56-529 IU/L Comment(s) Hemolysis 4+ No significant interference

Complete Blood Count
WBC 14.8 3.5-16.0 10^3/uL
RBC 9.5 5.92-9.93 10^6/uL
HGB 13.6 9.3-15.9 g/dL
HCT 45 29-48 %
MCV 47 37-61 fL
MCH 14.2 11-21 pg
MCHC 30 30-38 g/dL
Blood Parasites
No blood parasites seen
RBC Comment
RBC Morphology Normal
Platelet Count 257 200-500 10^3/uL
Platelet Estimate Adequate
Neutrophils 11,692 (HIGH) 79 2500-8500 /uL
Bands 0 0-3
Lymphocytes 1,628 11 1200-8000 /uL
Monocytes 444 3 0-600 /uL
Eosinophils 1,036 (HIGH) 7 0-1000 /uL
Basophils 0 0 0-150 /uL Comment Blood smear reviewed by technologist.

T3 T3 <40 (LOW) 40-150 ng/dL Result Verified

Test Requested Results Adult Reference Range Units T4 T4 2.2 0.8-4.0 ug/dL
Test Requested Results Adult Reference Range Units Free T4 By Equilibrium Dialysis Free T4 Equilibrium Dialysis 30.8 10-50 pmol/L
Test Requested Results Adult Reference Range Units FeLV Antigen (ELISA) FELV (ELISA) NEGATIVE Antigen
Test Requested Results Adult Reference Range Units FIV Antibody FIV ANTIBODY NEGATIVE If recent infection cannot be excluded, retesting >60 days after last exposure is recommended.

Feline Coronavirus Titer FCV AT 1:400 POSITIVE <1:400 Antibody Titer
FCV AT 1:1600 POSITIVE NEGATIVE
Antibody Titer A positive FCV titer indicates exposure to a coronavirus. It does not differentiate between FIP, feline enteric coronavirus exposure, or vaccination. Diagnosis of FIP should be based on history, physical examination, and other laboratory findings.

Test Requested Results Adult Reference Range Units Hemotrophic Mycoplasma HEMOTROPIC MYCOPLASMA None Seen NEGATIVE
Test Requested Results Adult Reference Range Units Urinalysis Add-On Collection Method
Cystocentesis
Color YELLOW
Appearance CLEAR
Specific Gravity 1.016 1.015-1.060
pH 5.5 5.5-7.0
Protein NEGATIVE NEGATIVE
Glucose-Strip NEGATIVE NEGATIVE
Ketones NEGATIVE NEGATIVE
Bilirubin NEGATIVE NEGATIVE
Occult Blood NEGATIVE NEGATIVE
WBC 0-1 0-3
HPF RBC NONE 0-3 HPF
Casts NONE SEEN
Hyaline 0-3 LPF
Crystals NONE SEEN
HPF Bacteria NONE SEEN
None Seen HPF
SQUAMOUS EPITHELIA 0-1 0-3
Fat Droplets 4-10 HPF

So based on these results does she have early ckd (stage2?) she was eating Taste of the wild Rocky Mountain for a while and then she got bored of it so I switched to Fromm Gamebird but eventually she stopped eating that as well so I tried Fromm Hasen Ducken and she loved it for a while but then she stopped eating that as well just recently and wouldn't eat anything but the hills k/d that the vet gave me. I know that Hills isn't the best but this is all she will eat right now. Is it okay for her to be eating it right now if she is still in the early stages of CKD? (I'm worried about it being low in protein cuz she is already so thin) When i spoke to her vet at the time of the blood test in March she said she should be eating senior food or a renal diet. I would appreciated anyones help, thoughts, and/or opinions. Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Maybe this will help for some of your questions;
Cat Blood Test Results Explained

Have you seen this?
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

Have you talked with your vet about an appetite stimulant? Is your kitty licking her lips? She could be nauseated, the vet can give you something for that.

Also, try something here below regarding food for your kitty, and also try some classical harp music. It's known to help cats relax, --there's also an app called Relax My Cat, and MusicForCats.com

(just a note, I've seen that some people are using nutritional yeast but I'm wary of this one-too much can cause the uric acid to become too high.)

Finger feeding could help as well. Sit with your cat and scoop some food on your finger or a spoon. Or gently tuck some food inside the cheek.

---You will want to double-check with your vet just to be sure these things below are ok for your kitty.---

Try some raw egg yolk. Egg white must always be cooked, and some people cook the white and make a slurry of sorts by adding in the raw yolk.

Try making the Pedialyte here;
tent test for dehydration and home-made pedialyte recipe - The Daily Kitten

Also, try making one of these;
Kitten Glop Recipes - Supplementing Cats and Kittens with nutritious formula you make at home: presented by Bengal Cat breeder Foothill Felines. --This website has a number of kitten glop recipes, with ingredients that you may very well have in your house.

These can be used on their own or combined with food. Also, as mentioned if you heat the food a little - stir it so there aren't any hot spots from the microwave.
Or you could heat some water, about a tablespoon, and add that to canned food. A small glass works to stir it all up.
  • Chicken, beef or ham flavored baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, a low mercury/low/no sodium brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon, mackerel
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet or store bought
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat 'gravy' poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes in website link above)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • fish oil
  • green beans, asparagus mushed up
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
  • Some good treats would be freeze dried Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables, Only Natural Pet, Primal
  • There are also Lickimats that you could spread types of soft food onto, even plain unflavored yogurt, and even freeze it. Licking something can help a cat to feel better emotionally The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats
  • shredded cheddar cheese

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for replying! I have read through lots of tanya's site, it's very informative. I am taking my kitty to the vet tomorrow to get another blood test done, hopefully things aren't too bad. I am just very confused about whether or not she has ckd, when i spoke to her vet she wasn't clear and didn't answer my questions or concerns very well. She seemed in a rush.. all she said was she had " an infection, some kidney issues, and pancreatitis" then she was on her way out. ( I understand sometimes if a cat had an infection her levels can be off?) She just gave me antibiotics and i was told i can use nutrical for appetite stimulant (i have been using that, it helps a little bit but not much) Also, i have not noticed her licking her lips at all, but i have noticed she sits crouched down or hunched over a lot, could that possibly indicate nausea or pain?) I asked her vet about her crouching and she said it could be arthritis but she does this quite a bit.... Anyway, i wasn't happy with this vet as i didn't feel she truly cared for my kitty so tomorrow i am seeing a different vet. I am just really concerned if it is okay for her to be eating the hills k/d right now? When i was reading through tanyas site, it said it's best to wait until the creatine is 2.8 or more before starting the prescription diet ( my cats creatine is 2.5 and bun 58- that was in march 2018) because of the low protein and my cat already being so thin, i am worried she will lose more weight on this food. I will be trying some more of the ideas listed above, thank you i truly appreciate it!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn't think Nutrical is a stimulant, it's just a supplement, I thought.

I have also read that an infection can throw results off.

I am so hoping you have better luck with your new vet, --be sure and double check regarding any meds and any of the food items because some things can offset the treatments.

You could ask about a phosphorus binder which, if I understand this correctly, could possibly enable you to feed other foods.

All the best wishes for tomorrow, let us know what happens :vibes::goodluck:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Low phosphrous preferably canned foods are helpful to many cats with kidney issues. Tanya's CRF page has a list of non-prescription foods. You can also look at this list: Low Carb / Low Phposphorus Canned Food List

Some people with kidney cats don't feel that prescription foods are necessary at all but I guess it depends on the cat's specific kidney issues. You will have to discuss food with the new vet.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Low phosphrous preferably canned foods are helpful to many cats with kidney issues. Tanya's CRF page has a list of non-prescription foods. You can also look at this list: Low Carb / Low Phposphorus Canned Food List

Some people with kidney cats don't feel that prescription foods are necessary at all but I guess it depends on the cat's specific kidney issues. You will have to discuss food with the new vet.
Yes to all of this! Each case is individual, particularly when other health issues are mixed in, so it's important to have a vet you like.

When our previous cat had mild CKD, we fed her commercial canned foods with moderate or relatively low phosphorus. Weruva worked well for her, in part because she liked it. (She had many other health problems and CKD was far from the worst; she ultimately died of what was most likely lymphoma.) Brooksie also crouched a lot, particularly over or near her food, where she would hover, as if she wanted to eat but just couldn't bring herself to.

As Tanya's site mentions, there are varying schools of thought on diet for kidney cats. We went for the protein -- our cat was thin, too, both from CKD and IBD -- and I really took Dr. Pierson's suggestions on catinfo.org (here's kidney disease: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition – Common Sense. Healthy Cats.) to heart. Dr. Pierson is very outspoken about disliking low-protein diets for kidney cats.

I hope the vet appointment goes well!

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thank you for that list, i will be looking through it! Hopefully I can find something she likes and will eat enough of! It's tricky with her because she LOVES canned food, she will beg me for it and come running when she hears me open a can but when i set it down on a plate for her, she will only take a few licks and then she will be done. She has never eaten enough of it. She can never even finish one serving of a 3oz can. Most of the time she eats half of what ever i put down. That is why i also give her dry food, even though I know that canned is better for cats.

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes to all of this! Each case is individual, particularly when other health issues are mixed in, so it's important to have a vet you like.

When our previous cat had mild CKD, we fed her commercial canned foods with moderate or relatively low phosphorus. Weruva worked well for her, in part because she liked it. (She had many other health problems and CKD was far from the worst; she ultimately died of what was most likely lymphoma.) Brooksie also crouched a lot, particularly over or near her food, where she would hover, as if she wanted to eat but just couldn't bring herself to.

As Tanya's site mentions, there are varying schools of thought on diet for kidney cats. We went for the protein -- our cat was thin, too, both from CKD and IBD -- and I really took Dr. Pierson's suggestions on catinfo.org (here's kidney disease: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition – Common Sense. Healthy Cats.) to heart. Dr. Pierson is very outspoken about disliking low-protein diets for kidney cats.

I hope the vet appointment goes well!
I have tried weruva cats in the kitchen, she loved the chicken and turkey flavor at first, but she never eats enough of it and i know it's kinda low calorie. I also think she prefers pate. I have tried soulistic shredded in gravy and tiki cat shredded and she just licks the gravy and leaves all of the shredded chicken. I am trying to find her some high calorie pate style canned food with moderate protein(not too low) and low phosphorus. It's been hard because I believe my kitty might also have had IBD ( she was never diagnosed for IBD, but for the longest time she had diarrhea and it wasn't until I switched her to fromm gamebird/hasen ducken that it finally stopped!) I also think she might have some allergies as well(maybe mild pancreatitis based on her blood test in march), I tend to stay away from by products, soy, wheat... etc. She seems to do better with rabbit, turkey, and duck.
Thank you all for replying, i appreciate it very much! I will update you guys on how the appointment goes!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried weruva cats in the kitchen, she loved the chicken and turkey flavor at first, but she never eats enough of it and i know it's kinda low calorie. I also think she prefers pate. I have tried soulistic shredded in gravy and tiki cat shredded and she just licks the gravy and leaves all of the shredded chicken. I am trying to find her some high calorie pate style canned food with moderate protein(not too low) and low phosphorus. It's been hard because I believe my kitty might also have had IBD ( she was never diagnosed for IBD, but for the longest time she had diarrhea and it wasn't until I switched her to fromm gamebird/hasen ducken that it finally stopped!) I also think she might have some allergies as well(maybe mild pancreatitis based on her blood test in march), I tend to stay away from by products, soy, wheat... etc. She seems to do better with rabbit, turkey, and duck.
Thank you all for replying, i appreciate it very much! I will update you guys on how the appointment goes!
I'm very sorry to hear your cat also may have IBD -- our cat had that sort of combination, too. She was too frail to be diagnosed for her digestive symptoms, but the vet assumed them to be IBD/lymphoma, which I'm pretty sure is correct. Her symptoms did improve when fish and grains came out of her diet, though it was too late. (Unfortunately, we hadn't know how to feed her properly until her last months.)

The food lists on Tanya's site and catinfo.org were what helped me most when I shopped for Brooksie. I, too, looked for high calories and low phosphorus, but ended up focusing most on phosphorus levels and what Brooskie would eat -- if a high-calorie food didn't interest her, that was that! Hence we ended up with a fair bit of Weruva, which she took a serious liking to.

I'll wait to hear about your new vet's suggestions before going on about that! I'm crossing my fingers that you got some good advice.

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys. I have an update on my kitty. Yesterday they did a full blood test, urinalysis, and pancreatitis test. Turns out, she DOESN'T have ckd. Her Bun and Creatine came back normal( I am surprised because 6 months ago they were a little high) The vet said she actually has pancreatitis and anemia. (She didn't show any signs of anemia 6 months ago but she had some mild pancreatitis at the time, it seems it has progressed :( ) The vet also believes she has some allergies as well possibly IBD. Does anyone have any good recommendations on what food would be best for her? This is all so new to me, I have never had a cat with any type of health issues before so I am at a loss of the best way to go about all of this. I have been giving her the hills k/d because all this time i thought she had ckd when inface she doesn't. What types of food (wet and dry) would be best for a cat who has pancreatitis, anemia, and IBD? I would appreciate anyone's help, thoughts, and/or opinions.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what's best for pancreatitis but I'd suggest starting a new thread with a title asking for help with food for a cat with IBD and pancreatitis. Did the vet give you any guidelines for food? Either for pancreatitis or for IBD? For IBD, the key thing, of course, is figuring out what's causing symptoms -- that's not always easy to do.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pancreatitis can cause elevations in BUN and Creatinine which mimic CKD. This is often the result of dehydration which exacerbates Pancreatitis.

Proper hydration/fluids is the mainstay of treatment for Pancreatitis. I have an IBD kitty on my lap now and what works to keep Pancreatitis at bay for her is high quality, hydrating wet foods. No dry.

Some brands you might try are these:

Wellness Morsels, grain free, pouches
Soulistic, grain free, gluten free pouches
Weruva, bff, grain, gluten free pouches
Weruva bff, slide n'serve pate in hydrating puree pouches

Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet cans
Wellness canned pates
Soulistic canned pates
Weruva bff canned pates

My cat particularly likes the pouch varieties as they are "soupy", easy to eat. I rotate flavors.

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pancreatitis can cause elevations in BUN and Creatinine which mimic CKD. This is often the result of dehydration which exacerbates Pancreatitis.

Proper hydration/fluids is the mainstay of treatment for Pancreatitis. I have an IBD kitty on my lap now and what works to keep Pancreatitis at bay for her is high quality, hydrating wet foods. No dry.

Some brands you might try are these:

Wellness Morsels, grain free, pouches
Soulistic, grain free, gluten free pouches
Weruva, bff, grain, gluten free pouches
Weruva bff, slide n'serve pate in hydrating puree pouches

Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet cans
Wellness canned pates
Soulistic canned pates
Weruva bff canned pates

My cat particularly likes the pouch varieties as they are "soupy", easy to eat. I rotate flavors.
Thank you! I went and picked some of those up today, hopefully she will like them. I have a question, did your vet ever prescribe antibiotics for your kitty's pancreatitis? Mine gave her clavomox and I just gave her the first does about 3 hours ago and she vomited right after and she just ooks so ill I am getting so worried :( she was fine and happy earlier before i gave that to her now she's not acting like herself and I'm so upset I did this to her, I wish I never gave it to her :( do you or does anyone have any experience with this antibiotic? Please tell me she will be ok....

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention, she has loss of appetite as well after taking the first clavomox dose. (It was 0.8cc btw is that the correct dosage for a 7lb cat? Earlier she was actually eating really well.. But now she looks miserable. I'm so sad....

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A high protein diet can cause elevated BUN / Creatine levels. There's a old thread on the Raw forum that discusses this. My Aby tends to have elevated BUN levels because he is fed raw. The values vary every time the vet does blood work. Sometimes levels are in the normal range, sometimes slightly high.

Keep in mind that the reference range for normal BUN / Creatine levels was established years ago when there was only commercial dry and canned food that weren't very good in quality. High protein diets including raw and those 95% protein foods have only existed in the past decade or so.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, antibiotics are usually prescribed as there is a possibility that bacteria may travel from the GI tract up the duct into the Pancreas. I actually lost a cat 2 years ago for this very reason when it was not prescribed.

That said, I would consult with your vet re the nausea from Clavamox. This drug can do that. Perhaps your Vet could prescribe another antibiotic from the same class of drugs. Consult your vet.